Thread: Replacing Jonathan Joseph

Credit Joe Goodberry I'd argue shaw and Jackson shouldn't be included
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not sure I understand the point he's trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the point he's trying to make.
    Pay your big name free agents because you will pay just as much if not more to try to replace them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post
    Pay your big name free agents because you will pay just as much if not more to try to replace them.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post
    Actually, it's the opposite. Joseph signed for nearly 10m per season 6 years ago when the CB market was very different. The Bengals promptly replaced him with 3 players, Clements, Newman, and Jones for roughly the same price. And for anyone about to say you get what you pay for keep in mind the Bengals defense improved after Joseph left.

It's also worth noting that Joseph was a better player when he was a Bengal making an average of 1.64m per season than he's ever been for the Texans making 9.75m per season. In fact, if I wanted to argue the Texans didn't get what they paid for in 2011 the first thing I'd do is point out how since becoming a Texan Joseph has averaged per season fewer tackles, assists, interceptions, passes defensed, run stuffs, etc. The second thing I'd point out is how reluctant Houston was to make the same mistake twice. Joseph makes about 3m less per season now and only got a 2-yr extension after his original deal expired.

Also, Dennard, Shaw, and WJ3 barely top 5 million per season in combined salary, roughly half of what Joseph got six years ago, and still nearly 2m less than a 31 year old Joseph makes today playing on the far smaller 2nd contract he signed with the Texans.

Last, ignore the money paid to the handful of late round picks included on the list that haven't made a difference as those types of players are going to be on the roster every season. Most are drafted despite the team knowing in advance their chances of becoming a starter is extremely low. Special teams, project players, whatever. You'll find examples just like them on every NFL roster, from the reigning NFL champion Patriots to the worst team in the league, the laughingly brilliant Cleveland Browns.

I would also argue that using the money they would have spent on Joseph to sign multiple guys, the overall depth improved in the years right after he left. In today's NFL you need multiple solid guys.

Joseph was certainly a great player but they weren't going to be able to keep both he and Hall.
    Last edited by Bengals1181; 03-12-2017 at 08:52 AM.