Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bengals’ Carlos Dunlap: “I don’t see the plan”

Bengals’ Carlos Dunlap: “I don’t see the plan”

Star players on the other side of the ball starting to openly call out the team:

Bengals’ Carlos Dunlap: “I don’t see the plan”

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 15, 2017, 6:01 AM EDT

Getty Images
    The Bengals have lost some of their top players in free agency, and at least one of the top players who remains isn’t sure what’s going on.

Pro Bowl defensive end Carlos Dunlap took to Twitter and said he doesn’t understand what the Bengals’ plan is in free agency, adding that the players don’t get a say in the matter.

“I don’t see the plan but guess that’s not my role to either,” Dunlap wrote.

Dunlap’s tweet came shortly after news broke that former Bengals running back Rex Burkhead had signed with the Patriots. The Bengals have also lost two top offensive linemen in Andrew Whitworth and Kevin Zeitler, and three players from their defensive front seven in Karlos Dansby, Margus Hunt and Domata Peko. The only player they’ve added is offensive tackle Andre Smith.

Dunlap is surely reflecting the thoughts of many Bengals fans in not seeing how a team is supposed to get better with moves like that in free agency.

Preach, Carlos.

When old leadership is removed new leaders have to step forward.

Hard to say much based upon what little was said, but it still feels like those are the first tentative steps Carlos has ever taken outside of the familiar good soldier role.

One of you is thewanderer, right?

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    When old leadership is removed new leaders have to step forward.

Hard to say much based upon what little was said, but it still feels like those are the first tentative steps Carlos has ever taken outside of the familiar good soldier role.
    I agree. To me, this is what leadership looks like. You speak up when you think someone needs to. He's definitely been the good soldier, in more ways than one, and now he's willing to put his neck on the line. IMO, we could have no better outcome on the defense than Carlos Dunlap being its emotional, vocal leader.

(now if he'll just privately urge the FO to cut Pacman and Rey M we'll really be onto something!)

I think the plan you are seeing is the Bengals not having a plan after some bad drafts and not getting their presumed top target in free agency or the compensatory picks they thought they would. Now they're scrambling to grab some table scraps while trying to preserve a 3rd round compensatory pick.

They really need to knock this draft out of the park or get something out of the past few first and second rounders.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    One of you is thewanderer, right?
    I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    I am.
    I thought so. I'd just never seen a word like "Bengalsiest" from you before lol.

Other than losing Whit I think everything has gone as I've expected for the most part.

was hoping for Rex to stay but wasn't expecting it.

I thought they'd have signed more than one outsider so far.

but that's about it.

Good for him. Also not surprising to me that it happened after Rex got signed away.

I think people expected Zeitler to go, and even after seeing Whit go for all that $ at 35, you could even umderstand that. But Rex showing what he could do late in the year (and Carlos and others have stated in the past what Rex brings to the table) where it probably wasn't gonna cost a lot - plus, what he showed vs. Jeremy Hill, who has struggled for the past two years, he - and I'm sure others - were thinking, WTF?

Why is this team so invested in Hill, who other than vs. Cleveland, hasn't shown much the last two years? Trade the guy, keep Rex, get a bigger back in the draft, and move on. Ugh, thought I was past this isht.