Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2017: YOUR Mock Drafts

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    I'm with you guys that he feels like a mid-1st rounder vs. a top-10 pick.

But unless someone unexpectedly falls, that's basically what all of the options will be when we're on the clock. There's those 5 or 6 top guys and then a bunch of others who would go mid-1st in a better draft class.

If there's nobody with a high grade available, I'm fine with the Bengals basically breaking ties with need and DE is the most glaring.
    I just feel itchy because I think this team does a pretty crap job at developing edge guys - and so, since he isn't a guy with crazy talent like Garrett at the top of the draft, I just think they will waste him. Dunlap has been best at developing here, but he was a second round selection and didn't have as much pressure to be good as the #9 overall will. I just don't think this is the coaching staff and scheme to get the most out of a guy like Barnett - and would rather them take someone in the second or third round and try and develop them than taking Barnett. I would feel much better about one of the wides of their choosing or even Howard at #9, just because I do think this staff/team knows how to get the most out of that investment...
    Last edited by membengal; 04-21-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Barnett may not be a bust to the level of Jarvis Jones, and I don't think he will. His floor is probably a littler higher than that. But I don't think his ceiling is all that high. I think he will be good but not great. A 6-9 sack a year kind of guy.

Which to me does not scream "top 10 pick".

Quote Originally Posted by jason_nc View Post
    barnett may not be a bust to the level of jarvis jones, and i don't think he will. His floor is probably a littler higher than that. But i don't think his ceiling is all that high. I think he will be good but not great. A 6-9 sack a year kind of guy.

Which to me does not scream "top 10 pick".

4. Im settling in. Using the NFL.com 7 round mock draft

1-DE-Derek Barnett
    2-RB-Joe Mixon
    3-T-Antonio Garcia
    4-DE-Trey Hendrickson
    4-WR-Shelton Gibson
    5-C-Pat Elfein (I don't beleive he will be there)
    5-TE-Micheal Roberts
    6-RB-Elijah McGuire
    6-LB-Jalen Reeves-Maybin
    7-DT-Stevie Tu'ikolavatu
    7-WR-Micheal Clark

while I think they SHOULD take Barnett at 9, I'm becoming more convinced that the Bengals take a "team" approach to the defense rather than insisting on dominant playmakers (lets be honest, they lucked into Atkins) on that side of the ball (outside of corner). Whereas you need playmakers on offense, on defense they believe in "11 solid guys makes a solid D".

1. TE OJ Howard, Alabama - I think they are nervous about Eifert, between what he'll want and what they'll be willing to pay given his injury history.

2. DE/OLB TJ Watt, Wisconsin - likely gone by this point, but one can hope. Relentless motor, and I think he can be a very good DE if he commits to it size wise.

3. OT Taylor Moton - I've had him at #2 in other mocks, but I've been struggling to remember this year that our 3rd round pick is in the 70's, not the 90's. They seem to really like this guy. So do I. i think he could play RT right away.

4. WR Josh Reynolds, Texas A&M - I happen to think he's going higher than this, but if he doesn't he's got future #2 skills.

4 RB D'Onta Foreman, Texas - another guy they seem to have spent a lot of time with. Has a fumbling issue to fix, but if you can fix that you've got a bellcow.

5. RB Corey Clement, Wisconsin - I could see a QB here or by now if they trade McCarron, but I think ultimately they won't. This pick leaves them with an interesting corp of Bernard/Hill/Foreman/Clement/Mason

5. DE Garrett Sickels, Penn State - a guy who shows promise. Probably should have stayed another year in school, but by picking him here you get a guy who may have been a top 100 pick next year.

6. S Rayshawn Jenkins, Miami - simply depth

6. LB Mike Mcrary, Michigan - local kid, high effort player who could work his way up from special teams

7. WR Mack Hollins, North Carolina - good size and speed, might be something there to develop.

7. CB Chidobe Awuzie, Colorado - good sized guy they've done a bit of homework on.

hope they trade up. I don't think they need 11 picks, probably only 8

6. Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    while I think they SHOULD take Barnett at 9, I'm becoming more convinced that the Bengals take a "team" approach to the defense rather than insisting on dominant playmakers (lets be honest, they lucked into Atkins) on that side of the ball (outside of corner). Whereas you need playmakers on offense, on defense they believe in "11 solid guys makes a solid D".

1. TE OJ Howard, Alabama - I think they are nervous about Eifert, between what he'll want and what they'll be willing to pay given his injury history.

2. DE/OLB TJ Watt, Wisconsin - likely gone by this point, but one can hope. Relentless motor, and I think he can be a very good DE if he commits to it size wise.

3. OT Taylor Moton - I've had him at #2 in other mocks, but I've been struggling to remember this year that our 3rd round pick is in the 70's, not the 90's. They seem to really like this guy. So do I. i think he could play RT right away.

4. WR Josh Reynolds, Texas A&M - I happen to think he's going higher than this, but if he doesn't he's got future #2 skills.

4 RB D'Onta Foreman, Texas - another guy they seem to have spent a lot of time with. Has a fumbling issue to fix, but if you can fix that you've got a bellcow.

5. RB Corey Clement, Wisconsin - I could see a QB here or by now if they trade McCarron, but I think ultimately they won't. This pick leaves them with an interesting corp of Bernard/Hill/Foreman/Clement/Mason

5. DE Garrett Sickels, Penn State - a guy who shows promise. Probably should have stayed another year in school, but by picking him here you get a guy who may have been a top 100 pick next year.

6. LB Mike Mcrary, Michigan - local kid, high effort player who could work his way up from special teams

7. WR Mack Hollins, North Carolina - good size and speed, might be something there to develop.

7. CB Chidobe Awuzie, Colorado - good sized guy they've done a bit of homework on.

Like the WR picks a lot. Would actually take Reynolds over Gibson whom I love.

Hate the idea of taking Howard first for multiple reasons. Not a huge fan of Motons ability to play LT but if no one who can is on the board then go for it.

Did not like Foreman at all.

Love that you use the knowledge of who they have been talking to, to shape your mock. It frustrates me though when I think they like guys that I think wont be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post

Some good names there especially early... not a big fan of Foreman but they could do worse. Don't like Clement much either but they ought to get a nice back from this draft.

Sickels is a later TE that I like as well. Good athlete who can make some hay downfield. Hollins I could definitely see... solid WR prospect but also a hellacious ST player... the kind of guy they like late in the draft, a la James Wright, Fedj, Bennie Brazell, and ol' 3-way, Ethan Kilmer.

And there's no way Awuzie gets drafted in round 7. He's likely round 1 or 2. Now, Kazee (SD State) I could see there because he's small, but a really interesting DB who always seems to make plays.