Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Minter To sign

Kevin Minter To sign

According to a tweet from the Bengals' beat writer at the Enquirer. He's an upgrade to a depleted and overall, pretty lame LB corps.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...nter/99358012/

nice, I liked him coming out. might he replace Maualuga in the middle?

nsfw lyrics.

Jim Owczarski‏Verified account @JimOwczarski 1h1 hour ago
    More
    #Bengals were willing to give Minter more years but he's looking to hit market again w/ a big year... http://cin.ci/2n9uMdc

sounds like its a 1 yr deal. Could reach $4.5M with incentives.

Report: Bengals agree with Minter

Posted 1 hour ago
    Geoff HobsonEditorBengals.com

In an effort to get younger and faster on defense the Bengals on Saturday made a rare dip into the waters of unrestricted free agency to reach agreement with Cardinals middle linebacker Kevin Minter.

ESPN reported what is thought to be a one-year deal.

The 6-0, 246-pound Minter, who broke 4.7 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the 2013 NFL scouting combine, is a second-round pick of Arizona coming off a season playing 90 percent of the snaps. Minter won’t turn 27 until the last month of the season and can probably end up playing both inside spots in the Bengals 4-3 defense at middle linebacker and WILL.

Minter, rated third in pass coverage by profootballfocus.com last season among NFL inside backers, also has 175 career tackles, according to profootballreference.com.

Minter’s speed and youth are big factors, but his solid, steady play and personality passed muster with the Bengals coaches on his visit to Paul Brown Stadium earlier this week. It’s believed he also met in Phoenix with head coach Marvin Lewis, in town for the league’s completion committee meetings.

Another durable product of LSU (he joins teammate Jeremy Hill), Minter has played in 58 straight games dating back to his rookie season and 37 of them have been starts. He’s also worked in three post-season games with two starts.

The Bengals were attempting to craft a deal for the UFA without losing the 2018 compensatory draft picks they believe they’ll receive for Cleveland’s $60 million deal with right guard Kevin Zeitler and the Rams’ three-year deal with left tackle Andrew Whitworth that can be as much as $36 million.

With reports of Minter agreeing to a one-year deal it figures to be comp pick friendly in about the $4.5 million range. The Bengals earlier this week signed another UFA to a one-year deal in right guard Andre Smith, so the Bengals could be at the point they have to make another move to make room for Minter.

Last year’s third-round pick, Utah’s Nick Vigil, 24, is expected to draw a starting spot in the linebackers corps when on-field drills begin in May as the Bengals try to young up the position. Karlos Dansby, 35, exchanged places with Minter and joined the Cardinals for a third time last week after his one season in Cincinnati.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...nshare:twitter

1 year deal doesn't take LB, even at #9, off the table IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    1 year deal doesn't take LB, even at #9, off the table IMO.
    Totally agree. It's worse news for the Flowers and Dawsons of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    Totally agree. It's worse news for Maualuga.
    Fixt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    Fixt.
    I hope so. If his signing puts Vigil on the bench, I'm going to be bummed.

I wasn't a Minter fan when he came out, but I guess I am now. Kind of funny how those things work, right?

As for what it means? I honestly don't know. I agree it doesn't take LB off the board at #9, but apparently it was the player himself who insisted on a 1 year deal. Had the Bengals gotten everything they wanted, including a multi-year deal, would any of us still think Foster was in play at #9?

Ignoring the larger picture for a moment, I agree it's a solid signing for any number of reasons, not the least being the way Minter replaces Dansby. I honestly think an aging Dansby still possesses more big play potential than Minter, but after casting off numerous aging players in the last two seasons I see no reason to make an exception for the 35-year old Dansby.