Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Minter To sign

As absurd as it is to talk about having to make room financially for Minter, Hobson could be hinting at Maualuga getting the axe. He suggests we need to make room, and talks about Vigil slated to start this year. Add in Burfict as a definite starter, and that would suggest Minter staying at MLB... That makes Rey odd man out, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    As absurd as it is to talk about having to make room financially for Minter, Hobson could be hinting at Maualuga getting the axe. He suggests we need to make room, and talks about Vigil slated to start this year. Add in Burfict as a definite starter, and that would suggest Minter staying at MLB... That makes Rey odd man out, I would think.
    His snap counts were super low last year, I'm surprised they haven't moved on already.

“I remember him when he was (head coach) of the Saints. I hated him. I’m from Atlanta,” Minter joked. “We hit it off great. I’m really looking forward to playing for him and taking this thing as far as we can.”

The feeling is mutual.

“He’s a very instinctive player with a great background,” Haslett said. “He’s a smart guy. Good guy. Good nose for the ball. He’ll help you in a lot of ways.”
    It’s a re-union of sorts with Burfict in the backer corps. While growing up in Atlanta, Minter had an eye on the kid out in Corona, Calif.

“He was No. 1 and I was like No. 4,” Minter said of the national rankings for high school linebackers. “Class of ’09.”

Another durable product of LSU (he joins teammate Jeremy Hill), Minter has played in 58 straight games dating back to his rookie season and 37 of them have been starts. He’s also worked in three post-season games with two starts.

“I think I’m a guy that can come in and play every down for them. That defense doesn’t need much. I feel like you can plug me in and I can be another element,” Minter said. “It’s very stout. Geno Atkins up front. Vontaze. Pacman (Adam) Jones. I’m not looking to get in the way, either. Great front four. Great in the back end. I just want to be a part of it.”

He’ll be more than that. The Bengals like the fact they were not only able to young up their linebacker corps, but that they were able to do it while also adding a seasoned leader.

“The way the organization embraced me on my visit, it just felt right,” Minter said. “I know Jeremy and Brandon LaFell from college. It’s going to be fun. Through my process Cincinnati was on the jump. I’m just glad they were able to pull the trigger and make a spot for me.”

The Bengals were attempting to craft a deal for the UFA without losing the 2018 compensatory draft picks they believe they’ll receive for Cleveland’s $60 million deal with right guard Kevin Zeitler and the Rams’ three-year deal with left tackle Andrew Whitworth that can be as much as $36 million.

Minter’s deal figures to be comp pick friendly in about the $4.5 million range. The Bengals earlier this week signed another UFA to a one-year deal in right guard Andre Smith, so the Bengals could be at the point they may have to make another move to make room for Minter.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...nshare:twitter

Joe GoodberryVerified account @JoeGoodberry 16h16 hours agoMore

Over the last two seasons Kevin Minter has played 1,929 defensive snapsBengals LB comparisons

V.Rey - 1,316
    Burfict - 1,141
    Maualuga - 945

Lance McAlisterVerified account @LanceMcAlister 2h2 hours agoMore

Minter tells me he will be #Bengals starting MLB and make the calls for the defense.

James RapienVerified account @JamesRapien 5h5 hours agoMore

New #Bengals LB Kevin Minter said he turned down a multi-year deal w/the #Bengals for the one-year deal he took-says he's betting on himself

#Bengals LB Kevin Minter says he watched film with Jim Haslett at PBS & had lunch with Marvin Lewis. He has yet to meet with Paul Guenther.

Seems odd they haven't cut Rey yet, but I guess there's no need to do so until you have to...

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Lance McAlisterVerified account @LanceMcAlister 2h2 hours agoMore

Minter tells me he will be #Bengals starting MLB and make the calls for the defense.

New #Bengals LB Kevin Minter said he turned down a multi-year deal w/the #Bengals for the one-year deal he took-says he's betting on himself

#Bengals LB Kevin Minter says he watched film with Jim Haslett at PBS & had lunch with Marvin Lewis. He has yet to meet with Paul Guenther.
    Did they tell him that, or does he think that? Burfict is the defensive QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    Did they tell him that, or does he think that? Burfict is the defensive QB.
    hadn't posted this one:

Lance McAlisterVerified account @LanceMcAlister 12h12 hours agoMore

"They asked me if I could handle that, I told them I've been doing it for the last three years,"-Minter #Bengals

so to answer your question, it seems yes, that came directly from the club.

Probably a necessity since Vontaze Burfict hasn't played a full 16 game schedule since his second year.

The #Bengals one-year deal for LB Kevin Minter is worth $4M with $2.1M guaranteed. Solid payday for that late in FA
    - Ian Rappaport