Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charlton v Barnett v Allen

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    So you guys want a guy who can't rush the Passer at all from the edge at all at 9? Jesus that's bad.
    FWIW I stopped listening to you the moment you claimed he'd get zero pressure as a 4-3 DE.

So you guys want a guy who can't rush the Passer at all from the edge at all at 9? Jesus that's bad.
    Right. He can't rush the passer. 12 sacks as a junior and 10.5 as a senior.

Carry on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    FWIW I stopped listening to you the moment you claimed he'd get zero pressure as a 4-3 DE.
    I stopped listening to you a long time ago so we are on the same playing field. If you think Allen will get pressure as a 4-3 DE then you need to brush up on your edge scouting techniques.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    Right. He can't rush the passer. 12 sacks as a junior and 10.5 as a senior.

Carry on.
    He isn't rushing the passer as a 4-3 DE. He isn't athletic enough and doesn't have that skill set. He's much better off as a 3T in a 4-3.

He isn't rushing the passer as a 4-3 DE. He isn't athletic enough and doesn't have that skill set. He's much better off as a 3T in a 4-3.

Well, I think he can do both. He's not a classic edge guy with the ability to bend and dip inside like elite guys like Von Miller or D Ware, but I think he's athletic enough to still make some hay outside. He's a really sound player who can use a variety of techniques to have some success. He's not going to win a lot of foot races but I've seen him make some really athletic plays for a larger guy. He's got strong hands and as he uses them well to gain separation from blocking linemen.

As you suggest, as an inside rusher he can use his quickness to beat guards. Question is, if he's used prominently inside, can he hold up vs. the run? That's why I could see him playing end on early downs, and moving inside on more obvious passing situations. And it's a key reason that I like him over Barnett, whom I don't see as being as versatile.

If he gets 10 sacks a year I don't care where he gets them from.

If you think Allen will get pressure as a 4-3 DE then you need to brush up on your edge scouting techniques.
    Any meaningful point you might make gets washed away by your insatiable desire to overstate everything to the point of near idiocy.

But like the man said, carry on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Any meaningful point you might make gets washed away by your insatiable desire to overstate everything to the point of near idiocy.

But like the man said, carry on.
    If he is a 4-3 end he is a 4-5 sack a year guy. That's it. I'm not spending the 9th pick on Wallace Gilberry who plays the run better.

If he is a 4-3 end he is a 4-5 sack a year guy. That's it.
    So, more than zero, right?

FWIW back in Feb. Cincy Jungle writer John Sheeren did a very solid Bengal specific video breakdown of Barnett. Well worth the time IMO. He was pretty critical of him overall but ultimately said he'd be a good pick...at #41.

He's also done Taco, Charles Harris, and Solomon Thomas, the latter being described as the ideal pick, Sadly, he hasn't done Joanthan Allen yet, probably because of the poor odds of him falling to #9.