Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charlton v Barnett v Allen

Charlton v Barnett v Allen

If it came down to it at 9 and Charlton, Allen and Barnett are all there. Whom would you choose and why? Even better what order? If X was gone then why Y and then Z?
    Last edited by Bengalbro; 03-20-2017 at 12:10 AM.

Charlton wouldn't even be in the discussion for me at 9.

If Allen's medical checks out he is the easy pick. He is one of the 2 or 3 best players in the draft.

If not, Barnett. Unless Foster, Ross, Fournette or Hooker are still available.

I vote Allen, Barnett, then Taco.

I usually have tacos at the front of the list, but in this case, Allen is the best player, and he gives you some versatility to play inside or out. I like Barnett a lot and Taco had a great year so you wonder if his best football is ahead of him. No doubt he's talented.

Similarly, you wonder if Allen or Barnett are as good as they are going to get. But I'd bet on Allen, assuming his shoulders check out.

I am just starting to dig into this but here are some thoughts.

1. Allen seems to play the same position as Atkins and Dunlap now. While he seem very good aren't we just getting redundant there. He would give us depth and someone to pair with Atkins in the Nickel.
    2. There is a part of me that thinks the Bengals are creatures of habit. They want a Rush end to play where MJ is. They like tall guys. That's Charlton. I agree with those of you who say he isn't worth being drafted that highly. However I could really see the team doing it.

Blog Entries
    Barnett easily for me. Allen isn't a 4-3 end and will get 0 pressure out there. He's essentially a nickel DT for us. That isn't worth the 9th pick. Barnett is the 3rd best edge in this draft and should be the pick between those 3. Taco isn't even on the board for me there. Of course neither is Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    Barnett easily for me. Allen isn't a 4-3 end and will get 0 pressure out there. He's essentially a nickel DT for us. That isn't worth the 9th pick. Barnett is the 3rd best edge in this draft and should be the pick between those 3. Taco isn't even on the board for me there. Of course neither is Allen.
    Though he does have the typical size, Allen is an elite-run stopper. He's be a plug-n-play starter to replace Peko, and has 3 down capability. The injuries concern the hell out of me, but I have no access to that information so I can only guess he checks out of they take him.

My issue with so many guys, on both sides of the ball in this draft, is that the Bengals have repeatedly demonstrated a lack of creativity for guys that don't perfectly match their pre-set systems and prototypes.

OJ Howard or Njoku could be great adds if we legitimately knew how to employ a two-TE attack, but Uzomah proved himself as a receiving threat and rode the Bench when Eifert was healthy.

McCaffrey would be an interesting choice if he fell to the 2nd as a RB/WR hybrid, but we just had a guy who had those skills and let him go.

Joker LB/EDGE hyrbid, Joker S/LB hybrid, you name it, we just don't seem to know how to use guys that don't fit the pre-set mold. I've followed Bengals drafts long enough to know that pining for a player (for me it's been the LEO/Joker LB) who fall a little outside, but who might also add serious impact if used properly, is a recipe for disappointment.

That's why you'll see that most of my choices and mocks generally adhere to players that fit their profiles. In particular, TJ Watt and Hasson Reddick are both X-factors to me this year because there's an argument to make that they ARE prototypes, or at least have the size-weight-speed to develop into them - even though that will mean that we move them from tweener into the solid type we are more comfortable with.

If we get Allen, which I really doubt, I would make him the base LDE, move Dunlap to RDE, and kick him inside next to Geno on obvious passing downs. Then MJ would be a situational player only.

8. Allen > Barnett. I like Taco but I don't think he's in the discussion at #9, there are too many other great prospects at the top of this draft and at least one will also be available - Foster, Hooker, Davis, Fournette.
    ORANGE n BLACK

Blog Entries
    So you guys want a guy who can't rush the Passer at all from the edge at all at 9? Jesus that's bad.

This feels like a post FA pulse check.

IMO Barnett is going to be an increasingly popular pick as people slowing come to the realization that Foster is off the board at #9. Corey Davis and Mike Williams as well. Plus, they won't take Fournette or Cook because they've got Hill, and they won't take Adams or Hooker because they've got Shawn Williams and Derron Smith. And yeah, some people actually write things like that and get paid for it. Go figure. Last, most agree not even the Bengals would be willing to take a CB in the 1st round again.

So what's left? A pessimist would point to the same moves and conclude the Bengals have cleared the deck of any worthy BPA option likely to be available, thereby making it easier for their fan base to embrace the selection of a top15-20 prospect while simultaneously passing on top 5-10 talent. For example, selecting Barnett over Allen. It's the kind of thing some people will talk themselves into if you plant the right seed or buy enough drinks.

Then again, a REAL pessimist might wonder aloud if all of this freshly minted 2-TE offense talk has less to do with OJ Howard and more to do with Tyler Eifert's most recent salary demands during contract extension talks. For example, how hard is it to imagine a scenario where the Bengals asked Eifert to take less than top dollar due to his extensive injury history, he refuses, and the next day Hobson starts floating the name of OJ Howard in every article he writes? House money, right?

Point being, if you asked a dumb guy what the Bengals should do at #9 what would his answer be? Because that's what they'll probably do.