Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Running game...

The Running game...

TheRBScout@TheRBScout 7h7 hours agoMore

@CincyJungle @Bengals Marvin Lewis top RB numbers since 2008. Have to make another draft investment right?

TheRBScout@TheRBScout 6h6 hours agoMore

@CincyJungle @Bengals Thought you might find Jeremy Hill's rushing data by gap interesting.

Blog Entries
    So he runs best off the tackles. Pretty considerably too

Far more indicative of Alexander's "special OL techniques" than the quality of our backs IMO.

Mind blowing that the dude still has a job and we can't run for 4ypc in a division where that is arguably the most important offensive statistic.

I'd love to see PIT's and BAL's ypc numbers (especially against us) over that same span.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrlnutz View Post
    Far more indicative of Alexander's "special OL techniques" than the quality of our backs IMO.

Mind blowing that the dude still has a job and we can't run for 4ypc in a division where that is arguably the most important offensive statistic.

I'd love to see PIT's and BAL's ypc numbers (especially against us) over that same span.
    yeah, this says more to me about the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    TheRBScout@TheRBScout 7h7 hours agoMore

@CincyJungle @Bengals Marvin Lewis top RB numbers since 2008. Have to make another draft investment right?

Talk is cheap. Hue kept talking about getting a running game "turnt" that in reality was operating at normal acceptable performance levels. Now Zampese is making the same excuses. Of note, the quality of starting backs varies wildly and widely from Benson to BenJarvus to Hill but the end results rarely differ because IMO the running game isn't actually a feature weapon. Rather, it's a keep them honest game management and clock killing tool. Small wonder Marvin seems content with Hill and disinterested in Burkhead. He's more interested in number of carries he can get out of a starting back than the number of total yards. So no reason to upgrade with Hill still under contract, right?

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    So he runs best off the tackles. Pretty considerably too

Are these total career, or just last year? If just 2016, wonder how skewed that is with some huge runs Hill had. The long one vs. Denver - IIRC, off of left tackle, and the one(s) vs. Cleveland which were off right tackle.

Wish we had the other chart which showed the percentage of runs by team by zone. That was skewed to outside runs for the Bengals, which is not what Hill does well with, even though I think he fancies himself as more of a guy who can get the corner and take it upfield... which he can't do very well.

One other thing, I don't have the stats but it would seem to my untrained eye that in Hill's rookie year, we had a lot more Ryan Hewitt running interference. Maybe not a majority of the plays, but at least on a percentage basis, much higher than last year, and probably higher than Hill's second year. Another coaching eff up, IMO, if they are looking for a more consistent run game.

Or maybe as Hair said, they pay a running game lip service and care less about yardage and more keeping the opponent honest and running some clock. Of course, running the clock works best when you get yardage, so...
    Last edited by texbengal; 03-21-2017 at 07:22 AM.

Yeah, I don't get why we paid Hewitt, then didn't use him.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    Are these total career, or just last year? If just 2016, wonder how skewed that is with some huge runs Hill had. The long one vs. Denver - IIRC, off of left tackle, and the one(s) vs. Cleveland which were off right tackle.

Wish we had the other chart which showed the percentage of runs by team by zone. That was skewed to outside runs for the Bengals, which is not what Hill does well with, even though I think he fancies himself as more of a guy who can get the corner and take it upfield... which he can't do very well.
    Last year. The 2 long runs really skew the numbers.