Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roster Thoughts (Defense)

Seen a lot of people excited for Russel but little fanfare for Benwikere. I wouldn't sleep on him. He was productive in a part time role for a quality defense in 2015 that ended when he broke his leg in Dec. He was given the starting job in 2016 by default when they pulled the franchise tag off Norman. When the whole Panthers team stumbled out of the gate in 2016 he was cut after commenting in the local media that he isn't quite 100% recovered from the injury...and after Julio torches the secondary to the tune of 300 yards.

He seems like the kind of guy our coaching staff turns into useful rotational players (ala Chris Crocker) and actually has NFL snaps under his belt.

Where does everyone think Smith fits in on the DL list in order of likelihood of making the roster?

Ahead of Gilberry?

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    Where does everyone think Smith fits in on the DL list in order of likelihood of making the roster?

Ahead of Gilberry?
    I think I would still put Gilberry ahead because he's more versatile, since he can play inside or out. Plus, he's had a lot more productivity.

On the positive side, Smith is a lot younger. He's pretty much a pass rusher only, but for a team that wasn't killing it on the pass rush, he didn't show much. I see this is a Chris Carter type of play... similar size and age. Smith was a 5th round pick and was a good player in the SEC, so maybe the change of scenery will benefit him.

Updating this post-draft by filling in the names of the picks to see how the roster battles are shaping up:

D Line (9)
    1. Geno Atkins
    2. Carlos Dunlap
    3. Andrew Billings
    4. Early round DE (Jordan Willis)
    5. Michael Johnson
    6. Mid-late DL (Ryan Glasgow)
    7. Marcus Hardison
    8. Will Clarke
    9. Pat Sims
    Cut line....
    10. Brandon Thompson
    11. Wallace Gilberry
    Chris Smith-Looks like an uphill battle to make it, but Bengals liked him enough to make the trade.
    12. Deshawn Williams
    13. David Dean
    14. Ryan Brown

Linebacker
    1. Vontaze Burfict
    2. Nick Vigil
    3. Kevin Minter
    4. Vinny Rey
    5. Mid-round LB (Carl Lawson) Hybrid LB/DE. Count him as LB for now?
    6. Marquis Flowers
    Cut line...
    7. Late-round LB (Jordan Evans) Bump him ahead of Flowers?
    8. Paul Dawson
    9. Bryson Albright

Defensive Back
    1. Dre Kirkpatrick
    2. George Iloka
    3. William Jackson III
    4. Shawn Williams
    5. Adam Jones
    6. Josh Shaw
    7. Darqueze Dennard
    8. Clayton Fejedlem
    9. Derron Smith
    10. Mid-late round rookie (Howard Wilson)
    Cut Line...
    11. Keivarae Russell
    12. Bene Benwikere
    13. Tony McRae

Biggest battles will be the scrum for backup jobs at DL. So many guys competing for the last couple spots. Listing Lawson as a LB makes it a little less crowded. But then sets up a direct battle between similar players in Marquis Flowers and Jordan Evans for the last LB spot.

Also, interesting how the draft played out almost exactly as we expected beforehand in terms of positions addressed and when.

On the DL i would say what you have there is a good projection. Not sure how Smith will pan out and Thompson has a chance, too. I've always liked Pat Sims but he has a battle on his hands. Not a fan of MJ's play so he may be the odd man out but he does bring experience.

I think at this point I would put Evans ahead of Flowers but he'd have to show on ST. Dawson has PS eligibility I think, and Flowers, to me, has shown next to nothing at this point.

As far as DBs go, I agree with what you have... but I expect Beni and Russell to fight it out for a spot... and here's hoping Adam plays himself out of one.

Lots of competition this year - a really positive development.

Random thing I just noticed:

If you count Lawson as a DE, the Bengals have 11 D Linemen that they drafted in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th Round all on the roster at the same time.

2nd round: Dunlap
    3rd round: Johnson, Willis, Thompson, Clarke, Sims
    4th round: Atkins, Billings, Hardison, Lawson, Glasgow

There's definitely a very real draft tendency there for the Bengals to take DL in the 3rd/4th round.

Blog Entries
    DE: Dunlap, MJ, Willis, Lawson, Clarke
    DT: Atkins, Billings, Hardison, Glasgow

LB: Burfict, Minter, Vigil, Rey, Evans

CB: Dre, Jones, WJIII, Dennard, Shaw, Russell,
    S: Williams, Iloka, Smith, Fejedelem

I think those 24 guys are locks to make the team. It then comes down to whether they want to keep 10 DL, 6 LB or 10 DB. Could keep another DT, LB or CB.

Don't think there's 24 locks on defense. Maybe 19 or 20 with a pretty open competition for the last 5-6 spots.

I definitely wouldn't have guys like Clarke, Russell, Evans, Hardison, as locks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    Don't think there's 24 locks on defense. Maybe 19 or 20 with a pretty open competition for the last 5-6 spots.

I definitely wouldn't have guys like Clarke, Russell, Evans, Hardison, as locks.
    Oh I do. I don't see anyone beating them out. Russell MAYBE but I don't see it. I think Clarke and Hardison are locks. I guess Dawson could beat out Evans but I don't really see it.