Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Voluntaries start today

This will be an interesting off season to see just how much of the on field foundation gets built in the off season. Ced has been doing his MMA training and core work. Getting that in as well as the full Bengals off season program should make a big difference. I haven't given up on him (although I am anxious about his performance).

Hobson also says Hill has ditched the off season program he's had the last two years in favor of a new one this year. While that's encouraging, his quotes worry me just a bit. He says something to the effect of that he doesn't know why his play has dipped the last few year. Says all he knows is that it hasn't worked so he might as well try something new.... Maybe he just doesn't want to get into it, but I'd prefer he do something that solves known issues than just not doing something that wasn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    This will be an interesting off season to see just how much of the on field foundation gets built in the off season. Ced has been doing his MMA training and core work. Getting that in as well as the full Bengals off season program should make a big difference. I haven't given up on him (although I am anxious about his performance).

Hobson also says Hill has ditched the off season program he's had the last two years in favor of a new one this year. While that's encouraging, his quotes worry me just a bit. He says something to the effect of that he doesn't know why his play has dipped the last few year. Says all he knows is that it hasn't worked so he might as well try something new.... Maybe he just doesn't want to get into it, but I'd prefer he do something that solves known issues than just not doing something that wasn't working.
    Good thoughts and I have the same hope for Ced. I'm less concerned about his athletic ability - feet, etc. and more about strength and technique, especially vs. bull rush so I'm hopeful that he gets a lot of reps and advice from guys like Winston and Andre.

Re Hill I'm encouraged that he's working hard but I hope he hasn't dropped a lot of weight. He's primarily a north-south runner - he needs to square up and run downhill. The last few years he has been dancing and bouncing outside too much. Some of that is sh@tty OL blocking but he needs to be more decisive in his play. We don't need more wiggle and dancing - he is what he is and he needs to just be better at it, as you suggest. We don't need a new Jeremy Hill - we just need more of the rookie version.

That pick of Lawson certainly shows some bend. Of course, his feet aren't actually flat on the ground, so he could be in the process of falling.

It's funny. Looking through those photos, and having an immediate negative reaction anytime I see Paul Dawson. Maybe I was too excited for him in the draft, but he's been such a dud... And I can't tell if he's just way less talented than I thought, or if he just refuses to practice hard, or what...

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    It's funny. Looking through those photos, and having an immediate negative reaction anytime I see Paul Dawson. Maybe I was too excited for him in the draft, but he's been such a dud... And I can't tell if he's just way less talented than I thought, or if he just refuses to practice hard, or what...

Probably a combination, but I do wonder about his commitment. Sounds like when he was at TCU, he wasn't the best conditioned guy, or the best practice player, but he came up big in games. I was, frankly, surprised when he was put on the PS and no one claimed him, not even one time during the season - that we are aware of. That says a lot.

We know Marvin et al are all about conditioning and practicing, and he's barely seen the field, so this is a pivotal year for him. Same for Flowers, for that matter. With Minter, Tez, Vinny Rey, Vigil, Evans - and Lawson playing some LB as well, it surely doesn't look good for either guy.