Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: With the 48th Pick, the Bengals select: RB Joe Mixon, Oklahoma

per ESPN, today will be the only day Mixon will talk about the incident. He won't be talking about it going forward.

Mark Slaughter‏ @MarkVSlaughter 49s50 seconds agoMore

I shook Joe Mixon's hand twice today and the grip was unbelievably STRONG so there's that #NoFumbles

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    where is Tex? I want to know what people in the Texas/Oklahoma area thought about Mixon over the last year.
    Really, I think what happened at OU will happen here. Same thing that happened with Tyreke Hill in KC, Kevin Hardy in Dallas, and fill-in-the-blank in fill-in-the-blank.

Initial outrage but once the games start and assuming he does well, the Pom-Poms will come out. That's pretty much what I observed at OU with Mixon, and there are a lot of folks here in DFW that either went there, or follow the team.

Most people have very short memories where these incidents are concerned. And as heinous as it was, he and the young woman have met and are trying to move past it. He has a chance to re-write his story and really, he did that. He had the one transgression with the parking attendant, and that wasn't good, but otherwise, supposedly he's kept his nose clean.

I think the biggest challenge for him will be not getting baited in games by the fans or by the opposition. I never saw that in games I wantched, but I'm assuming it happened. And I hope for his sake that whatever support is in place is sufficient for him.

He's a great football player... not a good one but a great one, IMO. But I'm wary of how he will do with all of the outside stuff that will always follow him.

Terrell Davis "if any other team had taken him in the 2nd round, I don't think it would have been a big deal. But because it was the Bengals, with their history, I'm not ok with it."

not quite verbatim, but pretty much sums things up nationally.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Terrell Davis "if any other team had taken him in the 2nd round, I don't think it would have been a big deal. But because it was the Bengals, with their history, I'm not ok with it."

not quite verbatim, but pretty much sums things up nationally.
    Right. Old reps die hard, but I do agree with him that having hotheads like Taze and Adam Jones doesn't give you warm and fuzzies where Mixon is concerned.

One thing I hadn't considered re Adam is that if guys like Ross and Wilson (and Erickson) perform well in the return game it is one less benefit of having Adam on the team, and one more reason why his services might not be required going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    Right. Old reps die hard, but I do agree with him that having hotheads like Taze and Adam Jones doesn't give you warm and fuzzies where Mixon is concerned.

One thing I hadn't considered re Adam is that if guys like Ross and Wilson (and Erickson) perform well in the return game it is one less benefit of having Adam on the team, and one more reason why his services might not be required going forward.
    Great point.

the NFL Network has now done 4 segments on Mixon since the draft ended less than 90 minutes ago.

Bengals' Joe Mixon: Incident will hang over head for rest of my life

7:45 PM ET

• Katherine TerrellESPN Staff Writer

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Bengals running back Joe Mixon said he knows he will always be viewed in a different light than his teammates.

Mixon spoke for more than 30 minutes during his introductory news conference and subsequent interviews with reporters on Saturday. Few questions were about football. Almost every question surrounded the night in 2014 when Mixon punched a woman in the face and broke her jaw.

Mixon, who was 18 at the time of the assault, recently reached a civil settlement with the woman, Amelia Molitor. Prior to the settlement, the two met face-to-face for the first time since the night of the incident.

"I'm just glad it's over with. She's glad it's over with," Mixon said. "We both acknowledge that we made a mistake and that we're moving forward and getting past it ...

"It actually lifted a huge weight off our shoulders because we weren't able to talk to each other and apologize. I was the initiator, for the most part. It really meant a lot to her for me to come in and acknowledge what happened that night, and she did the same thing, and I've got nothing but respect for that."

Molitor issued a statement after the settlement saying that both could have handled things differently and it was time to move on.

Mixon said he has seen the surveillance video of the incident, which shows him knocking Molitor to the floor and walking away.

"It hurt to really see it, hurt to talk about it, but at the end of the day, I'm going to try to do whatever I can to move forward past the situation," he said.

On Saturday, one Cincinnati television station posted an editorial criticizing the Bengals and saying the club had gone too far. WCPO-TV urged fans to stop buying Bengals tickets and instead donate to organizations that work to prevent violence against women.

But Bengals fans at a team-sponsored draft party at Paul Brown Stadium gave Mixon a warm and enthusiastic welcome. He said he knows the response from fans will be mixed.

Although the civil suit is behind him, Mixon said he understands that does not close the door on what happened. He said he understands that the stigma surrounding him will never go away.

"It will definitely be over my head for the rest of my life. I've got to live with it," he said. "At the end of the day, I've just got to do my best moving forward."

Added coach Marvin Lewis on Friday: "I think for the past three years he's had to live on the head of a pin. Everything he's done comes under the microscope. He understands that. I think every day moving forward he lives under that same microscope."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ess-conference

FOX19Verified account @FOX19 16m16 minutes agoMore

Controversial Bengals draft pick speaks out on assault, moving forwardhttp://bit.ly/2pkjyDk