Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: With the 48th Pick, the Bengals select: RB Joe Mixon, Oklahoma

CINCINNATI BENGALSMcMullen | Joe Mixon and Bengals need to trudge forward

ByJohn McMullen
    Posted on May 6, 2017

AP PHOTO/JOHN MINCHILLO

There was a reason Joe Mixon was taken off more than a few draft boards around the league, and the Cincinnati Bengals are figuring that out very quickly.

It was no surprise that the self-proclaimed “overly tolerant” Mike Brown was the one to give the former Oklahoma running back a chance, and it’s also hardly jaw-dropping that the protestors started lining up immediately, with one area television station imploring people to boycott the Bengals.

Nothing scares a business more than threatening the bottom line, so when weighing the cost-benefit analysis of any controversial position, it usually doesn’t hinge on a moral compass but more often the sentiment of the day.

Brown, like it or not, has been a consistent believer in second chances for years, and the Bengals owner has not employed a sliding scale when expressing that belief.

For those paying attention to his resume, that’s not a surprise. However, for others intent on running Mixon out of football for an admittedly heinous act when he was 17 years old, the end justifies any means necessary.

Mixon, now 20, has paid the price for it in our legal system from a criminal and civil standpoint. He completed one year of probation, 100 hours of community service and behavioral counseling as part of a plea agreement to a misdemeanor assault charge after he was caught punching Amelia Molitor on video. Then before the draft, he reached a civil settlement with the victim.

(AP Photo/John Minchillo)

Brown hasn’t acquiesced to the torches and pitchforks just yet. However, whether he knows it or not, by releasing a letter explaining his decision to draft Mixon, he’s started down a dangerous road straight toward the slippery slope.

It’s a simple thesis really, one that says you can’t use logic when dealing with emotion, and Brown is swimming against a very strong current when trying to reason with those critics whose goal is to get Mixon out of Cincinnati and the NFL.

If anything short of that is not negotiable, why sit at the table?

In a letter published Friday in the Cincinnati Enquirer, Brown described taking Mixon as if it were any other risk with “an upside as well as a downside” despite the “terrible thing” he did in college.

Not so coincidently, the letter came three days after the group “Women Helping Women” asked the Bengals to take a tougher stance on domestic violence and sexual assault, though from a legal definition Mixon’s trouble fits neither of those two categories.

Mixon himself is trying to move forward in the middle of a firestorm and thanked Brown for giving him the opportunity.

“I’ve been just trying to get in here and be with my teammates and move forward with the situation,” Mixon said after being drafted in the second round. “Thank you, Mike Brown for that, but I’m just trying to move on and come out here and compete and learn this playbook and get our team the win.”

From a narrow football perspective, winning cures all, but this has nothing to do with football.

“The Bengals take pride in our hometown and want to provide winning football on the field and successful players off the field,” Brown wrote. “That is the reason we drafted Joe — he is a rare football talent, and his conduct over the past three years leads us to believe he can help us win football games and also become a productive member of this community.

“…we believe Joe has put this behind him and that he can turn into the player and community member that creates a plus for Cincinnati. We are going to do everything in our power to make this happen. Our hope is that time will prove that this opportunity is deserved, and perhaps — if given a chance — Joe can write a chapter in Cincinnati sports history that both he and Cincinnati can be proud of.”

Those who know and understand Brown didn’t need to hear that, and for those who don’t, they likely will not listen anyway.

The only path now is forward, and when it comes to Mixon, the Bengals need to keep their heads down and ignore the comments section.

-John McMullen is a national football columnist for FanRagSports.com. You can reach him at jmcmullen44@gmail.com or on Twitter @JFMcMullen Also catch John each week during the NFL season ESPN South Jersey, ESPN Southwest Florida, ESPN Lexington, CBS Baltimore, KDWN in Las Vegas, and check @JFMcMullen for John’s upcoming appearances on SB Nation Radio, FOX Sports Radio, CBS Sports Radio as well as dozens of local radio stations across North America.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/ben...rudge-forward/

The evolution of college offenses has muddled the waters of translating skill players to the NFL game. The stereotype has been centered around quarterbacks and wide receivers especially, but the impact on the running back position cannot be underestimated.

We’ll look into the top four backs from the 2017 class (Leonard Fournette, Christian McCaffrey, Dalvin Cook and Joe Mixon) and how their college offenses could potentially boost or hinder their transition to the professional level.

Stats included in this article come courtesy of the fine folks over at Krossover.

CINCINNATI BENGALS’ JOE MIXON – RED FLAGS MAR NATURAL ABILITY

Mixon’s resume is impressive. In Oklahoma’s 11-game sample, Mixon was explosive to every gap, averaging no fewer than 5.6 yards per carry to the B-gaps and beyond. The Sooners struggled to run with power in the middle, as Mixon didn’t get much traction running behind the center, an issue that looks to continue at the NFL level.

Mixon’s splits were the catalyst for this article. In this 11-game sample, Mixon saw just 17 carries out of 155 with more than six defenders in the box. The NFL is going to be a vastly different experience from the spread approach he has been groomed in at Oklahoma.

Mixon’s average yards per carry in those 17 touches? 2.41 yards per carry. Mixon’s average output against lighter boxes? 7.42. Mixon had 13 runs go for more than 15 yards in 2016. None of them came with more than six defenders in the box. The difference is enough to make you sweat, even if Mixon’s film is strong and his sample size is low.

Another item of interest to tab on Mixon? He received no carries in 2016 out of the I-formation. Two-thirds of his carries came from the shotgun.
    I ultimately think Mixon is a gifted player and one who will find success as a NFL running back; he was my top-rated RB based on his on the field product in 2016. But there are some red flags here to monitor if you’re expecting Ezekiel Elliott productivity as a rookie.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/cra...2017-rb-class/

Two words: John Ross.

“I’m a God-fearing guy and I feel like everybody deserves a second chance. I don't condone what he's done. He can't take that back,” Green said. “I know he would like to. I feel like the Christian man in me, with my faith, that's the Christian way to do. I'm going to give the guy a chance. You don't look upon somebody, you help them. I feel like bringing him into the locker room with Andy and I being the leaders of the offense will really help him.”

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/5/10/15589602/a-j-green-leadership-mentoring-joe-mixon

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    I don't know that I'd put Mixon ahead of Zeke. He's probably a better receiver, but Zeke has better vision and is a better blocker.

According to PFF, Mixon was charged with allowing a single hurry and nothing else in his 48 snaps as a pass-blocker in 2016. This production yielded a 98.4 Pass Block Efficiency grade, as shown below:

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/5/17...ocking-prowess