Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Overall Draft Reactions thread

Blog Entries
    I like the first 4 rounds. After that it goes downhill some. To early for a K so that's a F grade. I'm fine with the OC. I like Evans. The DB made no sense to me. There's no chance he makes this team. If they moved him to RB like they should he might make it, but they won't. And the TE pick is a turd pick too

maybe personal hope, but I can seem them keeping Brandon Wilson and cutting Pacman now.

he replaces Russell as the "sit and watch" DB, and Russell is active. Wilson may even be active as a return man and emergency RB.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    maybe personal hope, but I can seem them keeping Brandon Wilson and cutting Pacman now.

he replaces Russell as the "sit and watch" DB, and Russell is active. Wilson may even be active as a return man and emergency RB.
    I was with you till I saw cutting Pacman. That isn't happening.

We should cut Peerman and let Wilson take that role plus returner.

We didn't draft any Samoans, which sucks (bad draft for them this year?), but I got me a shiny new kicker. I'm cool with this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    We didn't draft any Samoans, which sucks (bad draft for them this year?), but I got me a shiny new kicker. I'm cool with this draft.

We did get a Samoan as a UDFA and hey, we are just an injury away from bringing Rey M back.

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    I was with you till I saw cutting Pacman. That isn't happening.

We should cut Peerman and let Wilson take that role plus returner.
    I could see Peerman getting cut but I'd like to see someone like Fedj take his spot. I like what Wilson could provide but Peerman has a pretty big role on STs and I would prefer a guy who has had some experience (NFL games) replacing him.

I am ready to move on from Adam, especially if he plays corner like he did last year (admittedly, he did improve later in the year but he wasn't good for the first half of the season - at least)... and I thought his decision making on punts was horrible. Between on- and off-field, I don't see that he offers much.

I really liked the draft, especially the Ross pick. If he can stay healthy, I think he can help transform the offense.

As for the Day 3 picks, I think people over-value them a little bit (especially 5th round and later). You could see that with all the trades and how little these Day 3 picks bought you in terms of moving up. I mean we got a mid-4th just to drop down 7 spots in the mid-2nd round. You'd see 4th round picks that only bought you 10 spots in the late 3rd round.

Especially this year, with how many picks we had, it's not like you can just stash a bunch of late-rounders without a role on your 53-man roster. So you're trying to find guys who can actually give you some immediate contributions on special teams (like Evans, Wilson and the Kicker). Otherwise, you're really just drafting practice squad guys (like the 7th round TE) and there's not a ton of value added in drafting those guys when the same caliber of guys are going to be there undrafted anyway.

I kind of agree that it would have been nice to get one more OL, but then you start looking at the 53-man roster numbers and it makes sense to just take 1. They keep 8 or 9 OL. They have the 5 starters. They probably want to keep a seasoned vet in Winston at OT with two new young starters. They are obviously high on TJ Johnson after he played well late last season and they signed him to a multi-year deal. That leaves 1 or 2 open spots. One is probably going to Dielman as #8. Which leaves Westerman as the potential 9th guy, who was rated higher than most of these 2017 OLs that were there on Day 3 and he has a year in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    We did get a Samoan as a UDFA and hey, we are just an injury away from bringing Rey M back.
    I saw that late last night, and smiled. I really do think the team needs a few Samoans at all times. Those dudes just live football.

Seems like Peerman, Erickson, and Kumerow are suddenly on the roster bubble... Core, too?

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    I really liked the draft, especially the Ross pick. If he can stay healthy, I think he can help transform the offense.

As for the Day 3 picks, I think people over-value them a little bit (especially 5th round and later). You could see that with all the trades and how little these Day 3 picks bought you in terms of moving up. I mean we got a mid-4th just to drop down 7 spots in the mid-2nd round. You'd see 4th round picks that only bought you 10 spots in the late 3rd round.

Especially this year, with how many picks we had, it's not like you can just stash a bunch of late-rounders without a role on your 53-man roster. So you're trying to find guys who can actually give you some immediate contributions on special teams (like Evans, Wilson and the Kicker). Otherwise, you're really just drafting practice squad guys (like the 7th round TE) and there's not a ton of value added in drafting those guys when the same caliber of guys are going to be there undrafted anyway.

I kind of agree that it would have been nice to get one more OL, but then you start looking at the 53-man roster numbers and it makes sense to just take 1. They keep 8 or 9 OL. They have the 5 starters. They probably want to keep a seasoned vet in Winston at OT with two new young starters. They are obviously high on TJ Johnson after he played well late last season and they signed him to a multi-year deal. That leaves 1 or 2 open spots. One is probably going to Dielman as #8. Which leaves Westerman as the potential 9th guy, who was rated higher than most of these 2017 OLs that were there on Day 3 and he has a year in the system.
    True re OL and they also have Tre Hopkins and Alex Redmond as inside backup guys. Both still pretty young and they've been in the program. I thought Westerman might have asserted himself later in the year and be part of the 45, especially when there were a few injuries, but it didn't happen. He's really strong and tough, or at least was in college, and it'll be interesting to see his development this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    I saw that late last night, and smiled. I really do think the team needs a few Samoans at all times. Those dudes just live football.

Seems like Peerman, Erickson, and Kumerow are suddenly on the roster bubble... Core, too?
    I think Core and Erickson are both on the bubble, although I expect at least one of them to make it. Kumerow and Russell may be PS guys, or be cut.

And you're right re Samoan players. A bunch of them in the league. My favorite was Fu Ma'a'fala (he's a bad Ma'a'fala), even though he was a Steeler.

There's a high school near me that has a sizable Tongan (same part of the world) population. A lot of kids in the football team, and before the games they do the Haka war dance. Pretty entertaining. It's on YouTube.