Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Rookie Minicamp

#Bengals sign RB Boom Williams out of Kentucky. After three seasons at UK, Williams left program as 7th all-time leading rusher w 2,511 yds

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Wow - some of them look awfully small and young for the NFL. Camp bodies, I'd guess. Lots of cuts coming.

Bleacher Report graded every team’s undrafted haul and gave the Bengals a “B” for their efforts in undrafted free agency.

The Big Ten has long been a conference that bangs out NFL linebackers with regularity. And as the Cincinnati Bengals try to get younger and more athletic at the position, the team went the B1G route with a pair of undrafted free agents.

One, Hardy Nickerson Jr., is...well it's pretty obvious whose son he is. The 232-pound weak-side man put up big numbers at the University of Illinois, but he doesn't impress as being especially fast. Or especially agile. Or especially strong.

Nickerson does have a motor that doesn't quit, though, and Bengals linebackers coach Jim Haslett talked up his leadership and experience while speaking with Geoff Hobson of the team's website.

“Smart. Physical. Captain. Plays like a coach’s son. Great to get him,” Haslett said. “I just hope he doesn’t come in here telling me I’m doing it wrong.”

But Nickerson will have a familiar foe trying to take his roster spot, in a player who is in many respects a carbon copy.

Like Nickerson. Brandon Bell of Penn State is a bit undersized at 233 pounds. Like Nickerson, Bell was a prolific producer in 2016, piling up 89 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss and four sacks.

And like Nickerson, Bell's clearest path to a roster spot probably lies in proving his worth on kick and punt coverage as a rookie.
    It's not at all a stretch to imagine one of those linebackers sticking with the Bengals.

The question is which one.

GRADE: B