Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if we traded back to 25 or 27

What if we traded back to 25 or 27

Just a thought experiment. Who would you have taken if we traded back to 25 or 27?d The opportunity was surely there but that's a big way to fall.

25 Texans
    Texans receive:
    » 2017 first-round pick (No. 12): Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

Browns receive:
    » 2017 first-round pick (No. 25): Jabril Peppers, S, Michigan
    » 2018 first-round pick

27 Bills
    Chiefs receive:
    » 2017 first-round pick (No. 10): Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech

Bills receive:
    » 2017 first-round pick (No. 27): Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU
    » 2017 third-round pick (No. 91) -- traded to Rams
    » 2018 first-round pick
    Last edited by Bengalbro; 05-06-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Not sure who I would've taken in that scenario, but one thing is for sure. The player with the torn labrum that still somehow managed to shatter the all-time combine record in the 40 would not have been available.

They would not have gotten the player they were targeting all along.

Who would you have taken from the pool available?

That just seems too far to move in my mind. Still, had we done it, maybe Taco or Foster at 27 and Trey Hendrickson and 91. I would've hated that draft, though, so glad we reached a little for Ross at 9.

Blog Entries
    I would have LOVED to trade back that far, get a 1 next year and took Foster. Would have been a much better result.

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    I would have LOVED to trade back that far, get a 1 next year and took Foster. Would have been a much better result.
    Foster might not even be able to play this year. Lot of reports that teams think he needs to get another surgery on that shoulder.

Pre-draft, I loved the idea of trading down. After seeing how the draft fell and the value still available at DE in the 3rd/4th, I'm glad we didn't. I think Ross can be a special player and not enough difference between the late 1st round DEs and the guys we got later to make up for the downgrade at WR.

If we had traded down, I'd have taken Takk McKinley at #25 and then taken Chris Godwin at #71 (if we couldn't trade down a little).

Ross/Willis vs. McKinley/Godwin/2018 1st is pretty close.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    Foster might not even be able to play this year. Lot of reports that teams think he needs to get another surgery on that shoulder.
    I don't care if Foster couldn't play this year or not, he's good enough that I'll take a year without him.

Everyone should listen to this team. Time and again they tell us what they are going to do and then they do it. Marvin told us at the end of last Season their two biggest needs were edge rush and deep speed. As the offseason wore on it then became apparent that they wanted to upgrade the RB position, and they promptly fell in love with (again, telling the world) Joe Mixon.

So the question to ask is do they upgrade all of those three spots with the different picks?

Joe Mixon, obviously not, because he's who he is and you can only take him where you thought you had to take him and theses picks wouldn't have allowed a marginally lower one they might have waited for him.

So could you upgrade your edge rush and your deep speed with another combo of picks?

The only argument I could see is that Josh Malone is that deep speed guy, and so you could have taken Taco or JJ Watt or Kpass (who it's pretty clear when reading between the lines they liked) at 27. Of course, you'd also have the added benefit of addressing a different need at 91. OL?

But do you get better deep speed? Not possible.

Do you get a better pass rusher? Many pundits would argue that we still got the best guy out of that group, and as of the morning on day 2 before the draft, I'd agree.