Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Roster and Team Bengals V Brown

31. Cincinnati Bengals
    No line can lose two Pro Bowl-caliber players and expect to still perform at a high level. This is especially true for the Bengals who look completely at a loss to fill the shoes of left tackle Andrew Whitworth and right guard Kevin Zeitler. The loss may be felt the most at tackle where the drafted replacements – Jake Fisher and Cedric Ogbuehi – have looked lost anytime they’ve seen the field.
    I wouldn't go that far, especially with Fisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    Yeah. I certainly have concerns, but not with Fisher. I think he'll be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Yeah. I certainly have concerns, but not with Fisher. I think he'll be just fine.
    I still scratch my head as to why he isn't playing left tackle, except for the possibility that they've got no other choice because O-boy clearly can't play right.

4. Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    I still scratch my head as to why he isn't playing left tackle, except for the possibility that they've got no other choice because O-boy clearly can't play right.
    Agreed

5. Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    Yep. On a good line he is your wildcard that showed some good things but hasn't had nearly enough time to say he is "good" yet. I would love to not have to count on him this early but if you made me I would say he is our second most sure thing on this line. He can probably start somewhere and be ok. That's the problem with the other 3 guys. Smith was bad at RT, Ogbuehi was bad at RT and Bodine was bad at C.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post
    Yep. On a good line he is your wildcard that showed some good things but hasn't had nearly enough time to say he is "good" yet. I would love to not have to count on him this early but if you made me I would say he is our second most sure thing on this line. He can probably start somewhere and be ok. That's the problem with the other 3 guys. Smith was bad at RT, Ogbuehi was bad at RT and Bodine was bad at C.
    I don't think Bodine is great, but he's improved each year and I think he's serviceable now. Ideally, he should be replaced but I no longer think he's a bad player. And Smith, he barely played last year and while I think he got exposed in pass pro as a RT as he got older, I think he's a good run blocker -- and assuming he's able to transition to RG, I think he could be solid there. He can be more of a road-grader type like Bobbie Williams was... which play to Andre's strengths as a player, especially now.

So the line is still very questionable, I agree, and we won't know what we have until the games start... but I don't think it's a dire situation. Clearly, the young guys have to step up and Andre has to make a successful move to G. But it's certainly possible for that to occur, especially as the season progresses. Both Ced and Fisher are talented athletes that needed time and reps, and to settle on a position. That's occurring now for the first time. And Andre is going to be playing at a spot that a lot of folks felt he should have begun his NFL career at... i.e., playing inside. Whit was able to do it, and while I'm not suggesting that Andre is as good a player, we've seen that moving a T inside to G can be done under Alexander.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post

Smith wasn't even remotely a bad RT.

And Fisher is in year 3, not exactly "early" in his career.

8. Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    I don't think Bodine is great, but he's improved each year and I think he's serviceable now. Ideally, he should be replaced but I no longer think he's a bad player. And Smith, he barely played last year and while I think he got exposed in pass pro as a RT as he got older, I think he's a good run blocker -- and assuming he's able to transition to RG, I think he could be solid there. He can be more of a road-grader type like Bobbie Williams was... which play to Andre's strengths as a player, especially now.

So the line is still very questionable, I agree, and we won't know what we have until the games start... but I don't think it's a dire situation. Clearly, the young guys have to step up and Andre has to make a successful move to G. But it's certainly possible for that to occur, especially as the season progresses. Both Ced and Fisher are talented athletes that needed time and reps, and to settle on a position. That's occurring now for the first time. And Andre is going to be playing at a spot that a lot of folks felt he should have begun his NFL career at... i.e., playing inside. Whit was able to do it, and while I'm not suggesting that Andre is as good a player, we've seen that moving a T inside to G can be done under Alexander.
    I think it's the definition of a dire situation. 1 capable starter at the 2nd most important position on the field.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Smith wasn't even remotely a bad RT.

And Fisher is in year 3, not exactly "early" in his career.
    Fisher is early in his career because he has seen so few snaps. Smith was AWFUL at RT in 2015.

We are crossing our fingers that 4 guys who have never shown success on the offensive line will all hit and help a QB who desperately needs solid pass pro.