Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Bucs at Bengals!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Josh Malone is going to be very good.
    I haven't watched any replay, but at the game I thought Malone was getting wide open fairly often. Ball just wasn't going his way.

I was going to mention Russel but thought it best to leave him to you. I thought his run support was exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorclaws View Post
    I haven't watched any replay, but at the game I thought Malone was getting wide open fairly often. Ball just wasn't going his way.
    If there's one time each year I'd actually watch that coaches film it would be preseason. Alas, I doubt it's available.

Just so hard to checkout receivers and Dbs without it.

Feel really bad for the kicker they cut today. I think he has the tools to be a good kicker, but not with mountain that was put on his shoulders in Tampa. How does homegrown kicker live up to the expectation of his team trading up in the second round to get him?

I sure hope someone can pull him off the scrap heap and fix him.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Feel really bad for the kicker they cut today. I think he has the tools to be a good kicker, but not with mountain that was put on his shoulders in Tampa. How does homegrown kicker live up to the expectation of his team trading up in the second round to get him?

I sure hope someone can pull him off the scrap heap and fix him.
    Speaking of kickers, is there any chance we don't go with Elliott? I haven't been following too close, sounds fairly even battle with Bullock slightly ahead in fg performance. The 5th round pick likely gives Elliott enough leash that he gets it if it's anywhere close. Of the kickoffs I paid attention to, I thought Elliott's were better.

Speaking of kickers, is there any chance we don't go with Elliott? I haven't been following too close, sounds fairly even battle with Bullock slightly ahead in fg performance. The 5th round pick likely gives Elliott enough leash that he gets it if it's anywhere close. Of the kickoffs I paid attention to, I thought Elliott's were better.

I think it's a legitimate competition, but yea I imgaine the fact they used a draft pick on Elliott makes it the guy they WANT to win.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    I was going to mention Russel but thought it best to leave him to you. I thought his run support was exceptional.
    Just because I'm the only guy to say anything nice about him for more than a year doesn't mean I want things to stay that way. Hopefully he'll continue to impress on special teams even after the snaps become harder to come by. He played early, late, and much more than I expected. Of some concern, I noted how he started limping about 3 plays before they pulled him very late. I really hope it doesn't slow him down this week because he needs the playing time.

Speaking of underdogs, what was your overall impression of Chris Smith? You hadn't seen him before, right? I was hoping he would get snaps against some of the better blockers but it was well into the 3rd quarter before I first noticed him out there. Really quick off the snap but obviously he doesn't have the finishing kick the two rookies have. But he makes Will Clarke look like a statue and he can line up almost anywhere.

Have to admit I wasn't a bit impressed by Billings. Really hard to think of a DT who didn't outplay him...including a couple of guys who may not make the team. Really hope he gets a longer test next week and has a better showing.

Of the kickoffs I paid attention to, I thought Elliott's were better.
    Of note, no directional kicking yet from either kicker. Just bang it away straight and deep.

Just guessing, but I think they're trying to keep things simple for everyone, especially the kickers.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    WJ3 had a nice tackle on Martin too.

Just watched the game. Overall a lot of good things.

I thought the OL had a solid game with both run and pass. Ced had a notable whiff but I thought otherwise he held up welll... same for Fisher and Hopkins. Bodine got his head handed to him a few times, though. Some of the backups, particularly in the interior, looked solid. Westerman did some good things and I was particularly impressed with Redmond, who got good movement and plays hard to the whistle. For that matter, so do TJ and Westerman.

Tackling was spotty but not a surprise as they didn't have any live tackling in camp. ST play (return game) was bad... again, you are cobbling together teams from guys who are new and won't be around, so it wasn't a shock.

Running game was very good. Everyone ran well. Mixon's vision and patience were impressive. Hill played well and so did Carson. He looks quicker this year.

At WR, it was great to see Malone out there and contributing. He's got some size. I like Whitfield a lot... he may not even make the PS but he's very good with the ball in his hands.

On D, a number of guys played well.. . Was pleased with Smith and Willis in particular. Both had some good rushes, and both showed very high effort chasing down plays. Lawson was good overall. On his first snap, Donovan Smith stoned him but to his credit, he got pressure on the next play and flushed Jameis from the pocket. Inside, DeShawn Williams flashed and I thought Brandon Thompson did, too. Others like Billings, Hardison, and Glasgow made a play or two but didn't catch my eye as much. I'll cut a Billings a break for now since it was his first game in a year and 9 months. He was in on a 3rd and short but that was about it.

At LB I thought Vigil was more active, and Evans made his share of tackles.. his speed is evident. And at DB, I thought WJ3 looked solid, as did Russell. And while his coverage skills aren't the best, it's hard not to like Fedj, who comes downhill and really hits guys.

Last, Driskill is really intriguing... granted, it's one game but he's definitely got a nice arm, and he's always been really athletic.
    Last edited by texbengal; 08-12-2017 at 11:12 PM.