Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 1: What Went Right, Wrong, and Sideways, Ravens

Mongo, the thing with Huber is normal. Huber most scout the opposings team punter (cause let's be honest what else does he have to do) so he knows about how far the punter usually kicks it and marks it off for the turn man. Not sure if every team does it that way but huber has for years.

Quote Originally Posted by JBandJoeyV View Post
    Mongo, the thing with Huber is normal. Huber most scout the opposings team punter (cause let's be honest what else does he have to do) so he knows about how far the punter usually kicks it and marks it off for the turn man. Not sure if every team does it that way but huber has for years.

good stuff, never knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by JBandJoeyV View Post
    Right on. I'm never looking at the sidelines before a punt, but my wife was trying to see who she still knew on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Ogbuehi really struggled, but he was also getting his first start at LT against Suggs and a 3-4 defense, and we spent a lot of time in obvious pass situations. I don't have a lot of hope for things getting better with him, but I can't dismiss that stuff either.

Eifert had to do a lot of chipping with Suggs, but he still seemed like he wasn't a part of the game plan.

I don't know why whoever it was wasn't feeling the wind, but it was a very real factor yesterday. It was very windy in club section, windy on the goal posts, and billowing all five American flags I sat in view of. To further the point, I stuck in my seat for the halftime stuff on the field. The ladies in dresses kept their hands down to keep their dresses from blowing up, the green vests of the Crew on the field were blowing around, and the Bengals banners those people were holding were catching loads of wind... That's why:

-Dalton's deep balls were so off.
    -Dalton's shorter balls were getting batted like crazy at the line.
    -Huber had some weird ass punts.
    -Flacco's rare passes were super short
    -Their kicker was booming through the endzone two quarters, and had high, short kicks the other two quarters.

I can't swear he doesn't do it every game, but my wife pointed out something I'd never seen before. Every time in the second half the Ravens punted, Huber paced down the sideline and showed the returners where to stand. He'd jog down the sideline, stop at a mark, wave his arm to the returner(s) and they'd set up at his mark. If he does it every game, then I've learned something new. Otherwise, I think it was further evidence of the wind.

Dalton never should have thrown that ball intercepted in the endzone. Trying to thread it past three Ravens was just dumb. That INT changed the entire game... The two tipped INTs were crazy. The fumble was bad, but expected after Ced got beat and Andy tried the pump fake. I was heading to my car when the last one happened. It seemed wiser to get home to parole the babysitter than stay.

As for the fourth down throw away, I was way more pissed at the receivers than Dalton. It's fourth down. What the Hell are Gio and the other receiver doing running back to the wrong side of the first down marker? Two dudes are about to crush Andy, and no one tries to get open deep? Instead, they both run to the wrong side of the first down marker, and into the area of four Ravens defenders who can all stop them dead yards before a first down... it's been an issue for years. Anytime a play breaks down, our receivers have no idea how to improvise and get open.

The young guys on defense looked promising. I thought Vigil was the best linebacker. Vinyl was solid, but not awesome, and Minter was kind of just there. Evans had some nice plays, but I didn't see him out there much.

I'm okay moving on from Hill. He needs to run angry, like Dillon used to, but he doesn't. He runs more like Rudi started to when he was trying to extend his career.

All in all, yesterday made me sad soccer season is winding down.

no one expects Ced to be whitworth but he's gotta start looking better than Roland.

Since it sounds like Hopkins might be out a while, are they going to try Smith there again or is he set at tackle?

Dear god I hate Marvin.

The amazing thing is realizing just how little Lewis can comprehend of the problems or any awareness on his part of just how ill-equipped he is to deal with it. I still can't believe they brought him back after 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorclaws View Post
    Since it sounds like Hopkins might be out a while, are they going to try Smith there again or is he set at tackle?
    TJ Johnson took over and was the highest-rated OL in the game by PFF. Low bar obviously, but he was pretty solid there. Also played well when he started at G late last season. I think he's the guy.

My guess is they'll keep Andre on the bench as the "break glass in case of emergency" LT. Another game or two like this one by Ogbuehi and I think they might be forced to put Smith in there.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    The amazing thing is realizing just how little Lewis can comprehend of the problems or any awareness on his part of just how ill-equipped he is to deal with it. I still can't believe they brought him back after 2015.

Marvin needs a great OC to carry the planning on that side of the ball. The team overachieved or at least met expectations considering the overall talent when Gruden and Jackson were here. Zampese just can't carry an entire side of the ball by himself.

I think Marvin should be gone if he has another losing season. But if he is brought back, at the very least he needs to add a new OC and hopefully a new OL coach.

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    TJ Johnson took over and was the highest-rated OL in the game by PFF. Low bar obviously, but he was pretty solid there. Also played well when he started at G late last season. I think he's the guy.

My guess is they'll keep Andre on the bench as the "break glass in case of emergency" LT. Another game or two like this one by Ogbuehi and I think they might be forced to put Smith in there.
    They tank the season then if they wait another game or two. That's the problem with Marvin, as ever, whether it be in game or in reading a season. No urgency. EVER.