Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 1, Ravens: Post Game Notes

I'm not expecting anyone to panic, but only because at this point most remaining fans aren't emotionally attached enough to consider it
    So. spot. on.

Every fan should be furious because the biggest problem is clearly the line and we had a top five LT in house and let him walk to save money for? Then decided not to draft a LT and add pieces we cant use because our QB is terrible under pressure and he is constantly under it.

This offseason is just baffling. They bet on a guy who wasnt good in college or at RT to somehow be good at LT. It was flat out dumb and they will stick with it because the coach who drafted him wants to be proven right.

We drafted a slot receiver in the second round last year then a tiny speed receiver in the top ten this year and just kept pushing T back and back and back. It makes no sense. It's the second most important position on the team. The best teams in the league know when they missed and they give up. They dont keep doubling down and waste an entire season on Cedric Ogbuehi.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post
    Every fan should be furious because the biggest problem is clearly the line and we had a top five LT in house and let him walk to save money for? Then decided not to draft a LT and add pieces we cant use because our QB is terrible under pressure and he is constantly under it.

This offseason is just baffling. They bet on a guy who wasnt good in college or at RT to somehow be good at LT. It was flat out dumb and they will stick with it because the coach who drafted him wants to be proven right.

We drafted a slot receiver in the second round last year then a tiny speed receiver in the top ten this year and just kept pushing T back and back and back. It makes no sense. It's the second most important position on the team. The best teams in the league know when they missed and they give up. They dont keep doubling down and waste an entire season on Cedric Ogbuehi.
    IMO, you have a rant worth the breath if you postpone your argument to not taking a T (and Guard) to the later rounds. But who among us would want to replace the apparent major scores of Willis or Lawson?

If you wanted a Tackle who was going to make an immediate impact, but not be a major reach, you'd have to give up Joe Mixon. Taylor Moton remains my favorite, and he went about 20 picks after Mixon IIRC. Although, seeing what Mixon appears to be, I can't even say I'd forgo that pick either. He's got some horse gallop to him, a rare ability to hop and explode from zero to full speed like haven't seen since, well, Adrian Peterson.

I personally just don't think this was the year to get year 1 starting Tackles...OL, especially, is a ripe position group to develop guys for the future over time. The fact that virtually none of our development projects work out is as concerning as our major misfires at that spot in the draft. If your next thought is the same person is directly responsible for both of those, we're thinking alike.

I think you just don't take Ross

It's not a terrible argument.

I remember having had more than one mock that looked like this:

1) Derek Barnett
    2) Taylor Moton
    3) Kareem Hunt

But here's the funny thing. That draft, even, would only have looked truly prescient if the team showed a willingness to put Jake Fisher at LT, something they seem resolute not to do (I guess, because, that means admitting that Oghebui has no position and they can't do that, of course)! I liked Moton at RT and G, but even I think it would be a stretch to put him at LT.

But something else rings in my ears when I think about foregoing Ross, and that's the color guy's comments over and over from the game yesterday. We don't have the luxury of seeing downfield the way someone in the stadium does, but he kept harping on the fact that Bengals receivers just weren't getting any separation. Ross was purportedly drafted by the Bengals not just because of his long speed, but because of his short area quickness and ability to get "instant separation."

Having a guy on this team who could do that -- and not piegon-hole us into a take-away-AJ-and-you-eliminate-the-passing-game offense -- has been a problem almost as glaring as our OL...for just as long, if not longer.

If there aren't any OT's good enough to slow the rush, I guess the next best option is to scheme for a quick release game, which requires WRs who can get open right now.

Put me in the camp that sees little hope for this season, but my wing-on-a-prayer is that John Ross offers just this kind of effect (along with a desire to see Joe Mixon get the full-time bell-cow roll (with an emphasis on looks in the passing game), and for someone on earth to remind Zampese that he has Tyler Eifert to tear up the seam.

That continues to be a flawed argument. There was simply no offensive lineman worth taking at 9. The draft bore that out and it was considered an all time bad draft for OL.

Replying to @thewanderer2020
    And then they dropped 7/8 into coverage, rushed 3/4 and still got pressure while covering everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    [FONT="][FONT="]Replying to @thewanderer2020[/FONT]
    And then they dropped 7/8 into coverage, rushed 3/4 and still got pressure while covering everyone.
    If teams can rush 3/4 and drop everyone into coverage and still get pressure we are doomed this season.

I'm hanging my hope on the 2012 team that dropped the opener to Baltimore 44-13 and finished 10-6 on the season.