Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 1, Ravens: Post Game Notes

Week 1, Ravens: Post Game Notes

JoeVerified account @JoeGoodberry 11h11 hours agoMore

As bad as Dalton/OL were, the receivers were rarely open. Dalton looked to first read, pulled it down, ran, dumped it or threw INTs all game

JoeVerified account @JoeGoodberry 12h12 hours agoMore

On the positive, Gio looked quicker than ever. Amazing recovery.

Giovani Bernard uses speed cut though defense for a 24-yard gain

By NFL.com - Posted 17 hours ago
    Cincinnati Bengals running back Giovani Bernard uses his speed cut though defense for a gain of 24 yards.

Just one loss? Sure, but Bengals' dud was tough one for Marvin Lewis

:42

7:00 AM ET

• Katherine TerrellESPN Staff Writer

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Bengals' 20-0 loss to the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday might just be one game, but it was notable enough for Bengals coach Marvin Lewis to rank it among the most disappointing of his 15-year career.

The Bengals committed nine penalties to go along with five sacks and five turnovers by their starting quarterback.

That was as bad as it gets under Lewis, who has had only three regular-season games with at least nine penalties and five turnovers during his tenure. All were losses.

"I don't know if I've ever been in such a disappointing football game [like] today," Lewis said. "We hurt ourselves with penalties, from the first play offensively to a penalty on the first drive defensively. Those are things we can't have."

When asked to expand on his comments, Lewis simply left it at "disappointing."

Most of that disappointment probably centered around the offense and quarterback Andy Dalton, whose dismal day included a 16-for-31 passing performance for 170 yards and four interceptions. He also lost a fumble and was sacked five times.

"We have 15 more games," Dalton said. "This one game is not going to determine what happens this season. We can't let it."

For Dalton and the rest of the team, bouncing back quickly is critical. It would be all too easy for one game to spiral into an 0-3 start if the Bengals can't shake this off and capitalize Thursday on the problems shown by a reeling Houston Texans team that is fresh off a 29-7 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The Texans allowed 10 sacks and have no sure quarterback situation after rookie Deshuan Watson replaced Tom Savage midway through Sunday's game.

"If we get a win on Thursday night, we're not talking about this anymore," said Dalton, who is 1-6 in his career versus the Texans, with seven interceptions to just three touchdowns. "Obviously, you want to start the year fast. But we didn't."

It doesn't get easier in Week 3, when the Bengals travel to Lambeau Field to play the Green Bay Packers, who just beat the Seattle Seahawks 17-9.
    The Bengals haven't started 0-3 since 2008, when they finished 4-11-1. They also began 0-3 in the 2003 season before finishing 8-8.

That would be worst-case scenario for Cincinnati. Only three teams that began 0-3 in the current playoff format since 1990 have made it to the postseason.

It's not completely time to panic for the Bengals, who gave up only 268 total yards and allowed a touchdown on a short field following a Dalton interception. There were bright sides from rookie defenders Carl Lawson and Jordan Willis, while Pro Bowler Geno Atkins played as well as he ever has.

But on the offensive side, the pressure is on. Dalton's turnovers weren't the only concern. He rarely looked at Tyler Eifert, who was Dalton's best red zone threat two seasons ago, and misfired on his deep passing attempts.

Shaky offensive line play and a questionable rotation between three running backs are other problems that linger. Dalton was sacked 41 times last season, and if teams are able to rattle him this year, the points will be hard to come by.

"I can't remember the last time [we] scored zero points," said wide receiver A.J. Green, who has been involved with only one other shutout loss in his NFL career.

Lewis said he specifically looked for "closers" this season after the Bengals couldn't win any close games last year.

It might be early in the season, but how the Bengals respond against the Texans will be the first real test to see if he found the right ones.

The Bengals have the talent to be better than they showed Sunday. Now they have to prove if they have the mental makeup, as well.

"The NFL is a roller coaster," Green said. "You've just got to ride the roller coaster, the highs and the lows."

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-...ues-to-sputter

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post

"I don't know if I've ever been in such a disappointing football game [like] today," Lewis said. "We hurt ourselves with penalties, from the first play offensively to a penalty on the first drive defensively. Those are things we can't have."
    Really Marvin? Those are things you can't have? Really? Wanna try, I don't know, coaching your players not to make those mistakes and that their actions have consequences? Maybe? Just once? Anything?

I'm so freaking sick of this guy ...

Dear god, I hate him so very, very, very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post

It's not completely time to panic for the Bengals, who gave up only 268 total yards and allowed a touchdown on a short field following a Dalton interception.

I'm not expecting anyone to panic, but only because at this point most remaining fans aren't emotionally attached enough to consider it. Normally I'd argue it's way too early for anyone to believe the season was in the balance but the sad truth is the opener was the first chance most of us have had to judge the changes made over the offseason and on that score the Bengals were shut out again. There were no positives to speak of. With no reason for optimism this suddenly looks like a team playing for next year and auditioning for a new coaching staff.