Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 2: Texans Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas Bengal View Post
    Not to make excuses, but does anyone think Andy's head may not have been on straight this week? Maybe he was spending a lot of time talking to his parents/sister who both live in Katy, Texas. That area is west of Houston and experienced severe flooding...
    Maybe? I just haven't heard him talk about it, though. I've also been AFK and missed a bunch of articles the past few weeks... I will continue to believe it was the wind, as that it what I saw and felt all game. I get no one believes me, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Maybe? I just haven't heard him talk about it, though. I've also been AFK and missed a bunch of articles the past few weeks... I will continue to believe it was the wind, as that it what I saw and felt all game. I get no one believes me, though.
    If by "wind" you mean withering pass rush that ran through an OL like it wasn't there, then I totally saw the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas Bengal View Post
    Not to make excuses, but does anyone think Andy's head may not have been on straight this week? Maybe he was spending a lot of time talking to his parents/sister who both live in Katy, Texas. That area is west of Houston and experienced severe flooding...

I thought about that. And I know particularly his uncle suffered a lot of property damage, but I'm inclined to think it probably didn't have much bearing on his actual game performance. I think most players are able to ignore that once the game starts.

I think it's much more about the offensive line and just not playing well because he was pressing to try to make something happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    I think it's much more about the offensive line and just not playing well because he was pressing to try to make something happen.
    Also the Marvin Lewis factor. Marvin has designed his entire team for 14 years around "sticking to the script." There is little-to-no emphasis (I imagine) on backyard football. They don't seem to want players who can "just play" they want defensive lineman to be a certain height/weight, they want offensive lineman who have "great feet/hands," etc. There doesn't seem to be any emphasis on "just win."

So when shlt hits the fan, all 46 guys look confusingly at their coach awaiting instructions and the wheels fall off. There is no passion and feel for NFL football on this or any ML roster, just rigid game planning and immutable player archetypes. Nobody on that sideline feels they could win the game without the supreme leader(s) out coaching the other guys. I don't get the sense that Big Jen and Antonio Brown give 2 shlts who is coaching them on the sideline. If they have to get a first down they'll draw it up in the dirt and then make it happen.

Meanwhile the guys in stripes are paralyzed to think for themselves or embrace the passion of the moment and let that carry them forward.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrlnutz View Post
    also the marvin lewis factor. Marvin has designed his entire team for 14 years around "sticking to the script." there is little-to-no emphasis (i imagine) on backyard football. They don't seem to want players who can "just play" they want defensive lineman to be a certain height/weight, they want offensive lineman who have "great feet/hands," etc. There doesn't seem to be any emphasis on "just win."

so when shlt hits the fan, all 46 guys look confusingly at their coach awaiting instructions and the wheels fall off. There is no passion and feel for nfl football on this or any ml roster, just rigid game planning and immutable player archetypes. Nobody on that sideline feels they could win the game without the supreme leader(s) out coaching the other guys. I don't get the sense that big jen and antonio brown give 2 shlts who is coaching them on the sideline. If they have to get a first down they'll draw it up in the dirt and then make it happen.

Meanwhile the guys in stripes are paralyzed to think for themselves or embrace the passion of the moment and let that carry them forward.

Catherine Bodak‏ @FOX19Catherine 9m9 minutes agoMore

Dry conditions are expected tomorrow during the @Bengals game. @FOX19

did pretty good against Manziel and not letting him get outside the pocket and I imagine they will try to do the same to Watson. The issue is going to be Andy not getting decapitated/spooked against that pass rush. I'd love to see a steady diet of six man lines and Mixon.

I think Houston is going to have a really hard time scoring more than 14-17 points. We have a major advantage rushing off the edge against their bad Ohs and Watson hasn't shown the accuracy to pick apart what should be pretty good coverage from Dre, Pacman and WJ3.

The question is going to be whether our offense can get to 20 points or not. I have no idea. The Texans have one of the best defenses in the league and their line is a load.

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    I think Houston is going to have a really hard time scoring more than 14-17 points. We have a major advantage rushing off the edge against their bad Ohs and Watson hasn't shown the accuracy to pick apart what should be pretty good coverage from Dre, Pacman and WJ3.

The question is going to be whether our offense can get to 20 points or not. I have no idea. The Texans have one of the best defenses in the league and their line is a load.
    Tend to agree. I think Houston is going to ride Lamar Miller some and the run D needs to be better... and they have to get off the field on 3rd down... which they didn't do enough last week, for whatever reason(s)... didn't make plays, penalties, etc..

Offensively, I'd use a 6 man line or have Hewitt play the whole game. Or both, hell. I think they can make some hay in the passing game if they can provide some pass pro for Andy. And of course, he needs to be a lot more accurate.

Maybe Bullock will get redemption and kick the game winner. I'm calling it... 3-0, Bengals.

Bengals are wearing the all white color rush uni's tomorrow night.