Thread: Adam Jones, back from suspension, aims to bring spark back to Bengals

Adam Jones, back from suspension, aims to bring spark back to Bengals

8:01 AM CT

Katherine TerrellESPN Staff Writer

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Adam Jones went through all the same highs and lows his teammates probably did during Sunday's 20-0 loss to the Ravens. But considering Jones was watching the game on TV from his house, it was a bit more of a helpless feeling.

"I feel good. Besides emotionally what I went through this Sunday, at the end of the day, you can look at it and teach yourself and move on," Jones said. "I'm just being positive. I'm here to help my teammates. It's not about me. It's obviously going to take everybody to win the game. But I do do a good job of initiating a fire and getting the guys going and play with a little bit more edge. But besides that, I'm just here to help."

Jones was suspended for the season opener by the NFL as a result of his arrest in January. Now that he's back, he thinks he can ignite a fire under a defense that must turn around and face the Texans on Thursday.

"I'm going to bring a lot of spark and attitude. You know that," he said. "I'm going to compete every play. And I'm going to try my best to make sure that everybody's in the game having fun and playing with an edge."

Jones said what struck him the most was watching his teammates help up the opposing team after plays. He's going to put a stop to that right away, he said.

"I'm not big in helping nobody up. And I have friends that play on other teams," Jones said. "But especially when we're losing. I'm definitely not when we're winning, I'm really not when we're losing. The competitive edge, you just have to keep it up at a high level and realize that everybody's playing for jobs. We're going to make mistakes, but don't forget the competitiveness."

Jones said it's not a matter of playing dirty. He just doesn't want to see his teammates lose their competitive fire. And he's hoping to help bring that fire to a new level.

"I don't think there's nothing wrong with that, playing between the lines and running back to the huddle, help your guys up and have fun. There's nothing wrong with that," Jones said. "I ain't saying play nasty or nothing. I'm just saying you ain't got to help nobody up. You hit them and you run back to the huddle. Is there something wrong with that?"

Having the 33-year-old veteran back essentially is like bringing a coach back to the field. That's going to help the younger cornerbacks like William Jackson III, who played a significant amount along with Darqueze Dennard in his absence.

Jones will likely slide back into his normal starting role as an outside corner with Dennard playing in the slot. Dre Kirkpatrick, who was in a walking boot, said he was playing, but if he doesn't, it'll be Dennard and Jackson again on the other side.

There's no doubt Jones will bring back some fire, but it's not the defense who needs it. The offense gave up five turnovers against the Ravens and need some sort of serious spark on that side.

Jones said he'll help any way he can, starting in prime time.

"I'm just eager for the challenge for the group to see how we're going to respond after Sunday," he said. "We've been in this situation before. Thursday is a night when the whole country is watching. This is a game you live and dream for as a little kid. I'm probably sure they're going to be on the edge over there coming off the loss they had, but we'll be ready to go."

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-...to-the-bengals

Adam Jones, Tone-setter.

Good grief.