Thread: All things Marvin

So the openings are likely to be

Colts
    Giants
    Bengals
    Bears
    Cardinals
    Browns

Josh McDaniels seems like he's the leader of the candidates. Colts probably make a ton of sense with Luck at QB and if he is hurt Brissett has been coached by McDaniels.
    Bears will likely be looking at a QB/Offensive guy as well.
    Giants-Browns-Cards are all likely to be starting with a new QB.

Of that group We or the Cards have the most talent.

Quote Originally Posted by JBandJoeyV View Post
    Figure this is going to be a common theme the rest of the year. So might as well have one thread to talk about Marvins potential firing or not resigning of his contract. Or if you just want a good old fashion hate fest on the guy.

Per a Steelers beat writer (and I know you have to take it with a grain of salt since it was from a Steeler guy, but still):

These guys dont care. They dont have a coach that has any credibility any more. A well coached team would never be laughing it up after an embarrassing loss to a rival.

Its an embarrassment to the bengals, embarrassment to the city...he has to ****ing go. I wont support this team any more until that happens.

forget what thread this was already debunked, but to expand:

Lance McAlisterVerified account @LanceMcAlister 12h12 hours agoMore

Lap makes if 5 for 5 in people I talked to that were in locker room yesterday. Didn't see/feel the scene described in column. #Bengals

A couple of coaching thoughts

Matt Nagy the OC for the Chiefs has ties to the GM of the Colts. That could trump the McDaniels move.

Our last 2 coaching hires have been guys who we were familiar with in the AFC North. I wonder if that will be the case. One name that I kind of dread is Mike Munchack.

Marvin Lewis is a coaching anal polyp.

My thoughts on the next HC...I hope they look towards college football and find the greatest "motivator of men" they can find.

I'm so tired of the structured approach to building a roster and the game planning (from Brat to Gruden to Hue to Zamp) that emphasizes "out-smarting" the opposing team and not relying enough on "out-bullying" the other team.

There is no amount of chalkboard discussion that changes Andy's first instinct to turtle the moment the pocket closes around him. Sure he's gotten better at extending plays and making things happen, but he's one of the only guys in the league who has a split second moment of terror that takes his eyes off the field, and tucks the ball if an OL gets pushed back into him. Only a coach can inspire someone over their fears in that situation.

No amount of technique practice can make offensive lineman meaner than the guy across from them. A coach who inspires can help meager players play bigger and meaner in the moment. We have to play meaner along the offensive line regardless of who the talent is.

I want a coach who can draw up plays in the dirt because its not important that this WR is a little better getting matched up on that DB who doesn't perform well with outside leverage...whats important is that you execute and play bigger in the moment.

One guy to consider from college is the Iowa State guy -forget his name but he’s really brought that program a long way. Even when they’ve lost, he’s had them in it until the end.

I also think Scott Frost has something - former Nebraska QB who is coaching at Central Florida now but I think he’s due for big step. He’s a motivator, young guy, former star player for a championship team. Has a very good offensive mind.

I still like Hue because he got Andy and company to perform at a really high level but given his track record, I’m less excited now than I would have been a few years ago. Plus, not sure if he’d keep a lot of assistants around and there are only a few I’d try to hold on to -Simmons, Urban, and Coyle.

Late in the game the announcers in the Viking/Brown game were killing time by discussing if and when Hue would be fired. The eventually concluded that if he was fired it wouldn't be until after the season due to there being no suitable coordinators in waiting on Hue's staff. Hue has never hired an OC and his DC is Greg Williams, the guy best known for the Bounty-gate scandal. Best bet was if someone was fired this season it would be either Sashi Brown or Paul Depodesta, the two moneyball types running the front office. Their decision to pass on both Wentz and Watson looks dumber by the day.

Oh, and Hue made another questionable coaching decision in the game by calling for a time out on 3rd and goal from the 1. Hue later defended the move by saying he wanted to get the call right but by stopping the clock he gave the Vikings enough time to kick a FG before the half expired. Probably no more than a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't, but it struck me as yet another example of the type of coaching we call Marvin-ball.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    One guy to consider from college is the Iowa State guy -forget his name but he’s really brought that program a long way. Even when they’ve lost, he’s had them in it until the end.

I also think Scott Frost has something - former Nebraska QB who is coaching at Central Florida now but I think he’s due for big step. He’s a motivator, young guy, former star player for a championship team. Has a very good offensive mind.

I still like Hue because he got Andy and company to perform at a really high level but given his track record, I’m less excited now than I would have been a few years ago. Plus, not sure if he’d keep a lot of assistants around and there are only a few I’d try to hold on to -Simmons, Urban, and Coyle.
    Matt Campbell is the Iowa State coach. He is from Ohio and went to college in Ohio. I think it would be extremely unlikely he got the job but so far he looks like he going to be a great coach.