Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    [FONT="]NBC SportsVerified account @NBCSports 18m18 minutes agoMore

[/FONT]

[FONT="]Marvin Lewis: John Ross concealed shoulder injury from the Bengals http://bit.ly/2iBaRAc
    [/FONT]
    He wasn't playing.

Katherine TerrellVerified account @Kat_Terrell 14m14 minutes agoMore

If Ross was hiding his injury, he's done this before. He admitted earlier in the season that he rushed back from the knee injury and didn't communicate well with the team regarding how hurt he was.

Katherine TerrellVerified account @Kat_Terrell 13m13 minutes agoMore

It's difficult for all players regarding playing hurt -- They all do it, even in college. so nobody will take their spot, but it's got to be especially hard if you're a rookie who just wants to get on the field.

Chatted with John Ross’ agent Brad Cicala - says the wideout will follow the #Bengals rehab schedule in Cincinnati and the expectation is he’ll be good for OTAs.- Jim O

What’s so tough for me with Ross is that, compared to other top ten WR's, he wasn’t a top ten receiver even when healthy. Throw on the proclivity for injuries, and he just didn’t make sense. Now, injuries have wiped out his rookie year.

I wanted Foster because I was worried Burfict's style of play would keep him off the field one way or another. I have no idea how Foster is doing this year, but I stand by that train of thought. This defense is a Burfict absence away from being ho hum.

5. Sour Apples Harry, here. I do not post here often but do "know" many of the posters from elsewhere and respect and think highly of all. No ninja.
    That said, how I feel about Ruse, I mean Ross is not as kind as some here...

The guy is a complete fraud. I wonder if the Bengals could sue him for his salary and either renegotiate for, say, a third rounder's compensation since that is about where he would have gone (or lower) if the injury was known or simply cut him and eat their losses with a comp pick if he is re-signed elsewhere.
    Or sue his agent who represented him and pimped him to the NFL and club?
    I think this is some serious feces and has adversely affected the team's entire season in one way or another. Either some production out of him or missing out on a pick who could have made a real difference ie the linebacker Ruben Foster.

Then again, the agent and probably NFL will probably lay it on the Bengals for not doing their homework.
    Still, if you or I or Joe Baggadonutrs foists this big of a lie on a job application or interview it would be grounds for a one way ticket to Palookaville which is what this jerk deserves. The Bengals are out some big bucks and, in effect, his lie ****ed over the fans, too, with a diminished season.

P.S. Rocky Boiman is apparently just another shill for management with his "brave little soldier comments".

And hope all goes well for all here.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    What’s so tough for me with Ross is that, compared to other top ten WR's, he wasn’t a top ten receiver even when healthy.
    Agreed. And FWIW that's not a case of me second guessing things now that we know his rookie season was a wipeout. I said on the day he was drafted that I liked the player but hated the pick. Then or now, I had no problem with WR being the pick, but I'm a BPA guy and IMO Ross had no business being considered at #9. Too small, a history of injury, and I didn't think he deserved to be ranked as one of the top wideouts. In fact, I had him lumped in with...(wait for it)....Ju Ju Smith-Schuster as a player I felt was worthy of 2nd round consideration. But there's the rub because Ross was expected to go much higher than that and I couldn't convince anyone Ju Ju was more than a mid round guy. Nor could I find any predraft support for the idea of using a Top10 pick on Corey Davis, my favorite wideout in the draft. Not that it matters much because he was already off the board.

Truth be told my 1st round short list was devastated by the time the Bengals picked. Pretty sure Rueben Foster was the only name left and he went so late in the round I found myself second guessing whether he was worthy of the Top5 ranking I felt he deserved.

That said, if all of the above is ignored the greatest disappointment I have isn't rooted in who the Bengals didn't take, but how they used the player they selected. They never seemed to have a real plan for Ross as a true WR. Rather, the used him almost entirely in a gimmicky role that couldn't be sustained even if Ross had received more playing time.

Bottom Line: I didn't like the pick from the start, but the thing that grinds on me the most isn't who they could have had, but how little they developed the player they selected.

i was ok with the pick at the time, and still am. I wanted Foster the day I saw him play the Alabama -USC game in-person at the kick-off game in 2016, but for whatever reason it didn't happen.

No doubt Ross' rookie year was a washout, but when he missed virtually all of OTAs and TC, not sure how much beyond gimmicky stuff he would have been useful for. What's also disappointing is that a guy who DID reportedly really show out in the preseason (Cody Core) never did a damned thing (on STs, either) this fall, so not getting anything from Ross was even more pronounced. A few positives - Malone looks like he's got something, and Erickson has shown enough to me that I'm no longer sure where Boyd fits. He was definitely a "need" pick 2 years ago and while he had a solid rookie year, he's been a non-factor. Injuries are certainly part of that, but does Erickson make him expendable?

Anyway, one can only hope that Ross pulls a Will Jackson and after his "redshirt" year, he's able to have a full off-season and he brings it next fall. They are going to need more from that 2nd WR spot and if Lafell lines up there next fall, that'll be a disappointment to me.

8. I don't see much difference in this and WJIII last year. Circumstances are different but neither one was going to see the field much their first year. Treat it as a red shirt year, (shouldn't surprise or upset any Bengal fans), and see what they bring in season two.

It doesn’t surprise me, it does still upset me.

Quote Originally Posted by Enon Bengal View Post
    I don't see much difference in this and WJIII last year. Circumstances are different but neither one was going to see the field much their first year. Treat it as a red shirt year, (shouldn't surprise or upset any Bengal fans), and see what they bring in season two.
    we were sold on Ross being able to help immediately. That was supposed to be part of the appeal.