Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Frustrating Personnel decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post
    The trade didn't go through because the browns couldn't get there paperwork in on time because they were debating about whether or not it was too much. That debate disappears under this premise.

Because they want to draft as highly as possible to ensure the player they want is there. Why would the Chiefs be reasonably sure he was their at ten?
    I shouldn’t chime in because this isn’t getting anywhere... and I’m perpetuating it - but a big part of every team’s draft prep is trying to figure out what other teams are going to do. They do that by talking to the players themselves (e.g. asking who have they been talking to, etc.), tracking visits and interviews, talking with scouts and coaches and other front office people, and yes, the media... in addition to reading all of the stuff that’s out there. I recall Rick Gosselin saying that he used to get calls all of the time, at all hours, leading up to the draft from teams wanting to know the latest of what he was hearing, as he was well-known as a guy who was plugged in at predicting the draft.

That said, none of that is foolproof - but the Bengals, for example, don’t appear to be all that secretive, so I don’t think it was unreasonable for the Chiefs to think that they could get their guy - given who was available, and who was picking where, and the guys each team’s liked. It’s an educated guess and it backfires for sure... but that’s why teams spend a lot of time and effort on intel, to allow them to strategize the draft as best they can, amd play through scenarios via mock drafting, for days and weeks leading up to the draft. Even then, there’s a lot of last-minute stuff that happens leading up to the time that’s teams pick.

I would also amend your statement to say that teams may be willing to go as high as -they need to- to get the guy they want. Not as high as possible, but just high enough to get their guy and not pay too much to get him.
    Last edited by texbengal; 11-11-2017 at 05:57 PM.

With so many actual reasons to be mad at this team, I don't know why anyone would add more layers based upon logical deductions and inference.

Also worth pointing out that any pick actually used to draft a tackle (in place of Ross) would be made by the same people who struck out with Ced and Fisher...

I'd argue that taking a tackle would have been worse for the team because (logically and obviously) they can't appropriately scout and grade Tackles, therefore we would be in an even worse situation having just given a guy a 1st round contract who sucks as bad as Ced and Fisher. At least a healthy Ross offers the possibility of positive contribution at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post

I would also amend your statement to say that teams may be willing to go as high as -they need to- to get the guy they want. Not as high as possible, but just high enough to get their guy and not pay too much to get him.
    Totally agree. The reality is that they just don't really know how high they have to go up and who is doing what. I find it hard to believe they wanted Mahones so much that they were willing to call the Chiefs at 10 but wouldn't pick up the phone to call the Bengals at 9. Just doesn't seem realistic.

I also agree. We have made our stances clear. No need to keep discussing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrlnutz View Post
    With so many actual reasons to be mad at this team, I don't know why anyone would add more layers based upon logical deductions and inference.

Also worth pointing out that any pick actually used to draft a tackle (in place of Ross) would be made by the same people who struck out with Ced and Fisher...

I'd argue that taking a tackle would have been worse for the team because (logically and obviously) they can't appropriately scout and grade Tackles, therefore we would be in an even worse situation having just given a guy a 1st round contract who sucks as bad as Ced and Fisher. At least a healthy Ross offers the possibility of positive contribution at some point.
    It's so frustrating. Even more frustrating when you think about that we traded up for Bodine, will replace him after this year and won't let Johnson play for him. We also won't let Westerman play at all. How bad do you have to be to be a backup on the worst line in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post
    It's so frustrating. Even more frustrating when you think about that we traded up for Bodine, will replace him after this year and won't let Johnson play for him. We also won't let Westerman play at all. How bad do you have to be to be a backup on the worst line in the league.
    That's one of my biggest frustrations. If an RB fumbles he sits him, if a WR drops a pass, he sits him, if Bodine consistently misses stunts he just keeps running him out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincity View Post
    That's one of my biggest frustrations. If an RB fumbles he sits him, if a WR drops a pass, he sits him, if Bodine consistently misses stunts he just keeps running him out there.
    I don't have issue with not sitting down the center now... the issue is they know what he has been, what he is, and show absolutely no desire to upgrade. It irritates me more than the freaking tackles. At least they were going into 2nd year and you hope they can improve... Bodine is not changing... It is too late. He is 100% turd and they don't even bother trying to put someone with a pulse in his place for year after year.