Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating Personnel decisions

Frustrating Personnel decisions

Our front office has really bungled quite a bit since this offseason started.

1. Didn't re-sign Andrew Whitworth: This was a complete no brainer. It's proved to be the most important position on the team because Dalton is so afraid, he's broken. That has directly led to AJ Green being so frustrated he decided to fight Jalen Ramsey. Regarding Ogbuehi, gambling on a player because you overdrafted him was idiotic. Even if you couldn't sign Whitworth before he left you had the franchise tag. Just franchise him and move forward. Then they re-signed Kirkpatrick to a huge deal which looked a lot like Panic. Kirkpatrick is a capable CB but he is not worth the salary we gave him. Plus we had 2 first rounders already on the roster and Adam Jones and Josh Shaw.

2. Outside Free Agency: Signed Kevin Minter which was ok but there was clearly a reason that they Cardinals didn't want him. Wanted to give him long term contract that he didn't take, thankfully. He has been a non factor all season and should be upgraded in the off season. Signed Andre Smith to have him play Guard. He was either bad or didn't really want to play guard, so he was moved back to tackle. That forced us to start Trey Hopkins who had been on the practice squad and injured his first few years. They otherwise completely ignored the OL.

3. Drafting John Ross in Rd 1 and not an OL: If you don't have tires on your car you don't need a spoiler. 3 Rookie LTs are starting right now and doing fine. We ignored the position and it cost us an entire season. I don't care if you like John Ross or not, and I don't care if you think that pick 9 was too early for any of those 3 starting LTs, the reality is not drafting one cost us the season. That becomes even more obvious when John Ross is a healthy inactive week 9 of his rookie season. And your coach says something like "I forget where he is drafted when all of you ask questions constantly about when he will play."

4. Drafting Jake Elliott in Rd 5: You should never ever draft a kicker. It should be a rule. The odds of them sticking and/or being good right away are none and you just waste a pick. Then cutting him was even more dumb.

5. Cutting Derron Smith and keeping Redmon just to make him inactive: I don't care if he comes back and is re-signed. Throwing him out there was as dumb and short sighted as it gets. He is playing fine and the OL is terrible.

6. The nothingness we have seen on the O line:Not trying to trade or sign a player and being unwilling to shuffle things to see if something else works has been brutal.

7. The Browns nontrade: Trying to trade AJ McCarron is great and what they would have gotten is great. But wouldn't have any of you taken a 2nd from the browns on it's own? For a player we may lose for nothing this offseason? Why were we so stubborn that it even came down to that ending?

1 - Agree about Whitworth. Always have, including in 2015 when it mattered most. But I disagree about Kirkpatrick. I'd much rather keep Dre than Pac and I've said so for years.

2 - This coaching staff doesn't admit mistakes or hold itself accountable. Until that changes I expect this team to continue ignoring FA.

3 - Why stop with Ross? If you're not second guessing the Mixon pick you're not paying attention. And before someone mentions the Oline...if you don't have one why draft a RB this year?

4 - I have no problem with the idea of drafting a kicker or stashing him on the PS if he can't beat out a mediocre veteran. Sheesh, it was a 5th round pick in a year when the Bengals had 11 selections.

5 - I have no strong opinion about Derron Smith other than to say it probably should matter...at least a little...if they get him back.

6 - Too early to tell if the Duane Brown trade works out for the Seahawks, but yeah...I'm doing that. That said, can you imagine the howling if the Bengals would have traded for an expensive 32-year old OT after NOT keeping Whitworth?

7 - Hard to fault the Bengals for asking for as much as they could get. And I'm not going to fault them for the trade falling apart either. By all accounts, excluding a few out of Cleveland, the Bengals weren't at fault. And as for accepting just a 2nd round pick....it wouldn't help now and you don't know they won't get just as much from a comp pick.

2. I think Mixon is legit. Just needs space but I am right in line with your logic. You need a line before a RB can help you do anything.

4. Whats the point of playing this Comp pick game if you don't care if your 5th round pick hits?

1. I think they had every intention of re-signing Whit. Until the Rams offered a crazy contract for an OT his age. They drafted Ced to be his replacement, and they went with him. Dre is a good CB when he is in a good matchup for him. Against bigger WRs he holds his own.

2. Minter has been ok when he has been out there. If anything I think they need him back so they can put Taze back at WLB.

3. There weren't any OL graded that high, and I don't think they were going to use a high pick on a LT until Red got a shot there anyway. Now, if they pass on LT this year they are crazy.

4. It's a 5th round pick. They drafted a good kicker. He didn't kick well in training camp so they kept the one who did better.

5. Yeah, I don't agree with that either.

6. How do you know they haven't shuffled things in practice and it has been worse?

7. The Browns blew it. Period. Intentionally? Rumor has it.

It wasn't a crazy contract on Whit, bengals can and should have matched.

Basically, the amazing thing is, every move the Bengals have made for at least six months has immediately been one open to criticism and second-guessing, mostly because the Bengals were choosing the move with the longer odds of succeeding, and each move looks awful.

I agree that Whit needed to be resigned but I see too many fans acting like the reason the OL is bad is because Whit left. The OL was bad last year with Whit. Andy got hit and sacked a ton last year. Yes, it would help to have him back but the OL is still a major problem even if he is back.

I get the Ross pick. WR was a major need and has been for a few years. With the exception of AJ, no one has been able to get separation and at times the offense has been easy to stop because of that. Double AJ and no one else can get open. Just look at the offense yesterday after AJ got tossed. I think if the Bengals had rated an OL high enough last year, they may have gone that direction at 9 but they were still able to adress a major need. I still expect big things from Ross.

I have no problem with the pick of a kicker in the 5th. Nuge was a major problem last year and one of the reasons the Bengals missed the playoffs. If the Bengals had just went into training camp with Bullock, everyone would have been upset that they did nothing about the kicker position. They tried to upgrade the position and it did not work out.

They could have easily just signed a Rookie Free Agent at kicker

Ross was injury prone in college and now is a healthy scratch. What makes him a healthy scratch week 9 that you didn't know about during the draft season?

Whit wasn't the only problem but Andy knew his backside was ok. Now he has no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post
    Whats the point of playing this Comp pick game if you don't care if your 5th round pick hits?
    I didn't say I didn't care. But yeah, the fate of a 5th round pick is too far down the list of things to be pissed about for me to screw up much outrage. Nor do I share the outrage rooted in the belief that you never draft a kicker.

As for the comp pick game, I try to remind myself how teams are trading for more than just a player. They're trading for contracts too. And there's the rub because if you believe the Bengals will win their arbitration fight with McCarron his contract was much more attractive than Garrappalo's was. The 49ers traded for a QB with less than 10 games remaining on his contract. Furthermore, the Bengals reluctance to trade McCarron for a single 2nd round pick closely matches what New England did with Garrappalo where that team repeatedly turned down far richer trade packages until the trade deadline forced their hand.

I think too many people get draft pick drunk and see no value in keeping a quality backup QB. That said, I thought the Bengals negotiated a great trade and I'm more than a little bummed the trade, as rumored, didn't happen. But if we're talking hypothetically about a trade involving a single 2nd round pick I have to wonder what the fuss is about. The Bengals should be able to play their comp pick game and get near equal value.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    I didn't say I didn't care. But yeah, the fate of a 5th round pick is too far down the list of things to be pissed about for me to screw up much outrage. Nor do I share the outrage rooted in the belief that you never draft a kicker.

As for the comp pick game, I try to remind myself how teams are trading for more than just a player. They're trading for contracts too. And there's the rub because if you believe the Bengals will win their arbitration fight with McCarron his contract was much more attractive than Garrappalo's was. The 49ers traded for a QB with less than 10 games remaining on his contract. Furthermore, the Bengals reluctance to trade McCarron for a single 2nd round pick closely matches what New England did with Garrappalo where that team repeatedly turned down far richer trade packages until the trade deadline forced their hand.

I think too many people get draft pick drunk and see no value in keeping a quality backup QB. That said, I thought the Bengals negotiated a great trade and I'm more than a little bummed the trade, as rumored, didn't happen. But if we're talking hypothetically about a trade involving a single 2nd round pick I have to wonder what the fuss is about. The Bengals should be able to play their comp pick game and get near equal value.
    The fuss is that we have only a small window and a second round pick in 2018 is worth more than a 3rd round pick in 2019

I don't know why I'm posting this:

Cincy Jungle‏ @CincyJungle 1h1 hour agoMore

#Bengals should try Cedric Ogbuehi at WR or TE, because why not?

https://t.co/q2IpBrxr3D