Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bengals place Jake Fisher on non-football illness list

Bengals place Jake Fisher on non-football illness list

Posted by Josh Alper on November 8, 2017, 10:53 AM EST

The Bengals confirmed the return of offensive tackle Eric Winston to the team on Wednesday morning and announced the move that opened up a spot on the roster.

Right tackle Jake Fisher has been placed on the non-football illness list a few days after he had to leave the team’s loss to the Jaguars and go to the hospital because of an illness. On Monday, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said that the illness is something that Fisher has been dealing with at various points this season but it never forced him to miss time in the past.

There’s no word on the specific ailment that is bothering Fisher, but Geoff Hobson of the team’s website reports that the belief is that he will be able to return to action next season.

Andre Smith joins Winston as experienced options for Cincinnati up front for the rest of the season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-illness-list/

Winston returns with Fisher sidelined for season

Posted 2 hours ago

Geoff Hobson Editor Bengals.com

Eric Winston is back in the fold after Jake Fisher's season ended.
    As if the Bengals’ beleaguered offensive line didn’t have enough on its plate heading into the second half of the season, it underwent a major change Wednesday when the team ended starting right tackle Jake Fisher’s season by putting him on the non-football illness list and re-signed veteran tackle Eric Winston.

It’s believed that Fisher is suffering from a medical issue the team anticipates can be addressed during the offseason. He left last Sunday’s game in Jacksonville early in the second quarter with what was termed “an illness,” and went to the hospital before flying back with the team after the game. Head coach Marvin Lewis didn’t elaborate in Monday’s news conference.
    “He’s (dealt with this) as we’ve been going through the season. It’s something that the doctors are monitoring very closely,” Lewis said. “Yesterday they thought they needed to pull him from the game and run some tests, so they took him to the hospital to run tests … “It’s not as serious as I would think it is. Yet, it took him out of the game yesterday.”

Fisher has been in a rotation with Andre Smith on the right side as the Bengals try to get a foothold on a revamped offensive line that opened the season with a bevy of question marks. With the Bengals ranked last in both NFL offense and rushing and fourth worst in allowing sacks per pass, none have been answered. The struggles at tackle and all along the line were reflected in last Sunday’s second sack of quarterback Andy Dalton when both Smith (by Yannick Ngakoue) and left tackle Cedric Ogbuehi (by Calais Campbell) were beaten for the sack.
    Fisher started seven of the eight games and logged 361 snaps. Ogbuehi has played 374 snaps on the left side. Smith has 199 snaps and before Fisher left on Sunday had been seeing action on both sides.
    The call to Winston, who turns 34 next week, underlines a variety of issues. After releasing him with the final cuts a few days before the season, they didn’t see another tackle they deemed worthy to sign, claim, or acquire in a trade.

With their hopes to continue to develop Fisher, a second-round pick in 2015, dashed for this season, Winston gives them a steadying, veteran influence with three seasons in the system. He's done this before. Since he was signed in the wake of Smith’s season-ending arm injury late in the 2014 season, he’s played in 33 Bengals games with six starts.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...4-aaad7f35bf72

Bengals re-sign Eric Winston, put Jake Fisher on NFI list

By Marc Sessler
    Around the NFL Writer
    Published: Nov. 8, 2017 at 09:38 a.m.
    Updated: Nov. 8, 2017 at 10:19 a.m.

Eric Winston is back in Cincinnati.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported that the veteran offensive tackle re-signed with the Bengals on a one-year deal after the team released him in September. The club later confirmed the signing.

Winston was added to make up for the loss of right tackle Jake Fisher, who was placed on the reserve/non-football illness list Wednesday after leaving Sunday's loss to the Jaguars with an illness that landed him in the hospital.

While doubling as president of the NFL Players Association, Winston started six games for the Bengals over the past three seasons, part of a 12-year pro career that has also included stops in Houston, Kansas City and Arizona.

At 33, Winston is a patch for a Bengals team that has struggled at both tackle spots. Bookend Cedric Ogbuehi and Fisher rank 65th and 58th, respectively, among the 78 qualifying players at their position, per Pro Football Focus. Veteran Andre Smith lands at No. 53.

Quarterback Andy Dalton has paid the price, taking 24 sacks on the year, which ties him for the sixth most among quarterbacks. He's spent the season on the run for an offense that borders on the unwatchable.

The tackle position remains one to track for the Bengals, a team desperately trying to save their season with a victory this weekend in Tennessee.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...er-on-nfi-list

That 2015 draft was a doozy. Completely whiffed on four of the first 6. Possibly worse than the 2005 draft? At least we got some quality snaps out of a couple of the guys in 2005. 2015 has a nice play from Shaw and Uzomah and some solid play from Kroft to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by whodeyjc View Post
    That 2015 draft was a doozy. Completely whiffed on four of the first 6. Possibly worse than the 2005 draft? At least we got some quality snaps out of a couple of the guys in 2005. 2015 has a nice play from Shaw and Uzomah and some solid play from Kroft to show for it.
    At least the 2005 draft had good talent that got sidetracked, 2015 looks like poor scouting.

The strange thing is that in some ways the strategy of the 2015 draft (OT-OT to start) looks smart in hindsight. They just executed it terribly.

We've seen a real lack of quality OTs in the last two drafts and most serviceable free agents getting overpaid. We saw Andre fall off a cliff quicker than expected and saw that there was never a guarantee that we'd just be able to keep Whit as long as we wanted.

If those two picks had panned out and we had good, cheap, young OTs, the roster would be set up pretty damn well. They just whiffed on the scouting reports of the two they took and instead set us way back at two very important positions.

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    The strange thing is that in some ways the strategy of the 2015 draft (OT-OT to start) looks smart in hindsight. They just executed it terribly.
    IMO they were doomed to execute it terribly precisely because they ignored BPA and drafted soley for need. It's usually a recipe for disaster, mostly because from the very start you're ensuring you won't get good value even if the over drafted player selected can play. In fact, I remember numerous websites ranking both Ogbuehi and Fisher as 3rd round picks. Lindy's had ranked Ced as the 100th best prospect...even lower than Fisher. Also, they predicted Ogbuehi would be over drafted (2nd round I think) because it was a lousy year for offensive tackles.

Crazier still, because the Bengals were adamant about drafting Ogbuehi the Bengals turned down a chance to trade down just three spots, from #21 to #24, and pick up 4 draft picks from Arizona spread out over 2 years. That's madness...yet the Bengals bragged about what they had done, claiming at the time they were betting with House Money and couldn't lose. In reality they had already lost, badly, and their failure only gets worse with each passing season.

Last, had the Bengals passed on Ogbuehi the next question to be asked is who should they have taken. Well, some may remember me banging the drum for my pick as BPA, Bud Dupree, prompting scores of GoBengal posters to argue he wasn't NEEDED. My point being, stupid is as stupid does and the gift of perfect hinsidght has nothing to do with.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    IMO they were doomed to execute it terribly precisely because they ignored BPA and drafted soley for need. It's usually a recipe for disaster, mostly because from the very start you're ensuring you won't get good value even if the over drafted player selected can play. In fact, I remember numerous websites ranking both Ogbuehi and Fisher as 3rd round picks. Lindy's had ranked Ced as the 100th best prospect...even lower than Fisher. Also, they predicted Ogbuehi would be over drafted (2nd round I think) because it was a lousy year for offensive tackles.

Crazier still, because the Bengals were adamant about drafting Ogbuehi the Bengals turned down a chance to trade down just three spots, from #21 to #24, and pick up 4 draft picks from Arizona spread out over 2 years. That's madness...yet the Bengals bragged about what they had done, claiming at the time they were betting with House Money and couldn't lose. In reality they had already lost, badly, and their failure only gets worse with each passing season.

Last, had the Bengals passed on Ogbuehi the next question to be asked is who should they have taken. Well, some may remember me banging the drum for my pick as BPA, Bud Dupree, prompting scores of GoBengal posters to argue he wasn't NEEDED. My point being, stupid is as stupid does and the gift of perfect hinsidght has nothing to do with.
    I disagree. I think they thought Ced and Jake were both BPA. I just think they had them ranked a lot higher. They thought a healthy Ced was a top 10 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    I disagree. I think they thought Ced and Jake were both BPA. I just think they had them ranked a lot higher. They thought a healthy Ced was a top 10 pick.
    Of course you disagree. You're a need guy who often advocates passing on better players. You did it in 2015 with Ced and Fisher, you did it last year with Ross, and you're already doing it this year. You've already said any 1st round pick that isn't a LT is a failure, right?

Any claim that Ogbuehi was a Top10 pick who slipped because of injury is almost too laughable to respond to. He's wasn't even worthy of the 3rd round ranking that many sources claimed. So who besides a now discredited Paul Alexander would even bother to make such a claim? Who besides a team trying to defend not making a trade that would have netted four picks would bother hyping a prospect like Ogbuehi?

O-line gets some seasoning
    Houston, home of the World Series champion Astros, just lost a fall baseball coach. But it was out of the six-year-old division, where Eric Winston coached his son until this week when the Bengals called him back to provide depth for an offensive line still trying to find its way when the second half of the season starts Sunday (1 p.m.-Cincinnati’s Channel 19) in Tennessee. The Bengals’ youth movement up front has slowed considerably now that Winston, their second-oldest player who turns 34 next week, is back in the fold, right tackle Andre Smith, 30, assumes the starting right tackle position he had for eight seasons until they let him go to free agency two years ago, and Jake Fisher’s first season as the starting right tackle ends with an undisclosed illness.