Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Bengals put Jeremy Hill on injured reserve, sign Brandon Wilson to roster

Cincinnati Bengals put Jeremy Hill on injured reserve, sign Brandon Wilson to roster

NASHVILLE -- Jeremy Hill went from the Cincinnati Bengals' starting running back to suddenly injured last week last Saturday to having his season ended by going on injured reserved before the team left for Nashville today.

Hill, who Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said tweaked an ankle in the Saturday walkthrough a week ago, was a surprise inactive against Jacksonville.

He did not practice during the week and the team ended his season -- and likely his career in Cincinnati -- by putting him on injured reserve. He will be an unrestricted free agent next year and will be allowed to test the market.
    Hill, 25, had seen his role greatly reduced in 2017 after the team drafted rookie Joe Mixon in the second round out of Oklahoma. The season began with a three-back rotation with Hill, Mixon and Giovani Bernard, but after new offensive coordinator Bill Lazor took over in Week 3, Hill essentially was a starter in name only.

He finished his 2017 season with 116 yards on 37 carries and no touchdowns.
    A second-round draft pick out of LSU in 2014, Hill burst onto the scene with a 1,124-yard, nine-touchdown rookie season. He followed that up in 2015 with an 11-touchdown, 794-yard year in 2015.
    But, the Bengals had grown frustrated with back-to-back seasons of averaging a total of 3.7 yards per carry, leading to the drafting of Mixon.
    The club signed rookie Brandon Wilson to the 53-man roster.
    Wilson, a sixth-round draft choice out of Houston, was on the practice squad after starting his year on the non-fotball injury list due to a knee injury.
    The Bengals traded up in the sixth round to take Wilson, who they feel is a versatile player in the secondary.

The team also decided to waive kicker Marshall Koehn, as they determined that Randy Bullock was healthy enough to dress and kick against the Titans. To fill his spot, the club promoted rookie defensive tackle Josh Tupou off the practice squad. The extra body was needed on the defensive line as tackle Pat Sims was ruled out with a calf injury.
    Tupou is a college free agent from the University of Colorado.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...rve/855034001/

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas Bengal View Post
    But, the Bengals had grown frustrated with back-to-back seasons of averaging a total of 3.7 yards per carry, leading to the drafting of Mixon./[/url]
    Be careful what you wish for. Mixon is averaging 2.9 ypc.

Really happy to hear Brandon Wilson and Josh Tupou are going to be activated. Wouldn't expect either to get much playing time unless more injuries strike but any playing time they get this year can only help. Let's see what we've got. Wilson could be a real weapon on special teams.

Is J Hill's ankle really THAT bad? Tweaking an ankle to IR is a huge jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincity View Post
    Is J Hill's ankle really THAT bad? Tweaking an ankle to IR is a huge jump.
    You know Marvin. It might be a broken ankle. Or a bone bruise.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Really happy to hear Brandon Wilson and Josh Tupou are going to be activated. Wouldn't expect either to get much playing time unless more injuries strike but any playing time they get this year can only help. Let's see what we've got. Wilson could be a real weapon on special teams.
    I’d like to see what Wilson can do as a runner, too. Or at S. I like Iloka, and Williams is up and down, amd I like Fedj as well but this guy could be a helluva center fielder, with his speed and ball skills.

If I had to guess, Jeremy shut himself down.

Quote Originally Posted by whodeyjc View Post
    If I had to guess, Jeremy shut himself down.
    You mean like Eifert did?

As for the others mentioned in the thread...I was really impressed by Wilson downing a KO on the Titan goal line. That's a great special teams play under any circumstance but even more so when you consider how it was one of the first snaps Wilson had played in months.

Topou got some playing time. That surprised me. Can't say he did anything of note, but at least he didn't screw up. I'm looking at you, Billings.

Hard to believe, and even harder to write, but in retrospect....I think I missed Marshall Koehn in this one. (Do not forsake me oh my darling?)

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    You mean like Eifert did?

As for the others mentioned in the thread...I was really impressed by Wilson downing a KO on the Titan goal line. That's a great special teams play under any circumstance but even more so when you consider how it was one of the first snaps Wilson had played in months.

Topou got some playing time. That surprised me. Can't say he did anything of note, but at least he didn't screw up. I'm looking at you, Billings.

Hard to believe, and even harder to write, but in retrospect....I think I missed Marshall Koehn in this one. (Do not forsake me oh my darling?)
    The Topou thing is interesting. If we are thinking about 2018, is he a much cheaper version of Simms and we just roll with Tupou and Billings at the NT position?

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post
    The Topou thing is interesting. If we are thinking about 2018, is he a much cheaper version of Simms and we just roll with Tupou and Billings at the NT position?
    Topou is a space eater. He caused a holding penalty on one snap. Might be a depth guy. Sims really hasn’t done much this year.

Billings was up and down... made some plays, but also looked foolish at times. Like the TD where he tried to arm tackle Murray, and that wasn’t happening.