Thread: I've never been more...

I've never been more...

...disassociated/worn down by the Bengals as a fan than I am at current. And that is saying something, since my earliest football rooting memories go back to 1976 with the franchise. So I have been through the end of the 70s, the lost decade, and the Marvin-implosions of '07, '10, '13 and '15/'16. I've seen a LOT of bad, as have all Bengals fans.

And, even with that, I've never been as close to quitting as I am now. Probably a combo of the general NFL malaise/staleness, awareness that the game has changed, the fact that Marvin is still here making me angry all these years later, that the hope is gone. I don't see any way forward, and even a coaching change (LONG overdue) feels like it won't be enough to re-kindle the interest if it amounts to more of the same.

I may be reaching my breaking point, is what I am saying, finally, at age 47.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    ...disassociated/worn down by the Bengals as a fan than I am at current. And that is saying something, since my earliest football rooting memories go back to 1976 with the franchise. So I have been through the end of the 70s, the lost decade, and the Marvin-implosions of '07, '10, '13 and '15/'16. I've seen a LOT of bad, as have all Bengals fans.

And, even with that, I've never been as close to quitting as I am now. Probably a combo of the general NFL malaise/staleness, awareness that the game has changed, the fact that Marvin is still here making me angry all these years later, that the hope is gone. I don't see any way forward, and even a coaching change (LONG overdue) feels like it won't be enough to re-kindle the interest if it amounts to more of the same.

I may be reaching my breaking point, is what I am saying, finally, at age 47.
    Got you beat on age and experience and it’s been awhile since I’ve been this disheartened. They are so dumb, so undisciplined.

Losing that Steeler playoff game, i think, was a tipping point and this team has never come out of it. A once-talented roster was gutted by FA and they foolishly thought they had the pieces to replace what had left. OL hasn’t worked, STs are worse, there’s no one’s other than AJ at WR who has shown enough at this point. Dalton is regressing.

I wasn’t excited about VB resigning because he’s the type of stupid player they have that loses you games. He’s doesn’t learn, and while he’s earned the extra scrutiny, he still doesn’t get it. And he wasn’t playing well, anyway.

I’m so tired of Marvin, and I have zero confidence that they’ll make a good hire with the next one... that is, assuming they go that route.

All of that said, I’m a fan and I’ll still watch, and hope for good outcomes. I’m intrigued by some of the younger guys. At the end of the day (thanks, Hue) it’s entertainment after all, but this team is damned hard to watch.
    Last edited by texbengal; 11-13-2017 at 11:57 AM.

First a word of caution. Then words of hope.

Nothing is so bad it can't get worse still.---Irish proverb.

Words of hope? Jimmah Johnson on the Fox pregame show saying his sources have told him Marvin Lewis won't be offered a contract at seasons end. All said while "Hit the road Jack" played in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    First a word of caution. Then words of hope.

Nothing is so bad it can't get worse still.---Irish proverb.

Words of hope? Jimmah Johnson on the Fox pregame show saying his sources have told him Marvin Lewis won't be offered a contract at seasons end. All said while "Hit the road Jack" played in the background.
    If true, great. It's long overdue.

Just hope they don't make a dumb, Dave Shula-type hire.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post

Right. I've been burned before. So much sadness.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post

Yep - or a "more of the same" situation. The entire coaching staff should see the door, & that is my big worry... that they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cullen Bohannon View Post
    Yep - or a "more of the same" situation. The entire coaching staff should see the door, & that is my big worry... that they won't.
    I don't think the entire staff needs to go. But new leadership is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    I don't think the entire staff needs to go. But new leadership is a must.
    At minimum the OC, OL, RB, and TE coaches can go... and Haslett. I’d consider keeping Simmons, Coyle, Urban, Guenther, and Burney.

I have to agree, don't think the team has mentally put the last playoff game behind them.

So to the OP, I watched the Indy game and the Jacksonville game in total disinterest. The Tennessee game had flashes of excitement, kept my attention. I've never been more disinterested.

I hope I'm not showing my age, but I think this team needs a drill sergeant of a head coach. That probably doesn't work in this day and age but this team needs a good dose of it.