Thread: My thoughts on 2018 Coaching Staff draft and free agency

My thoughts on 2018 Coaching Staff draft and free agency

I would interview the following guys:

Frank Reich (Eagles OC)
    Josh McDaniels (Pats OC)
    Pete Carmichael (Saints OC)
    Marquand Manuel (Falcons DC) Disclaimer: Rooney Rule candidate, but would get a fair shot
    Hue Jackson if fired.

I would lean towards one of the OC coaches. Looking for an aggressive disciplined coach who can manage a game.

I would not force him to keep anyone he was not comfortable with, but I would encourage him to interview the current defensive staff and Simmons.

AJ Mac would either get a second round tender if he is an RFA, or a tag (with a goal of trading) if UFA. Minimum a second round pick in the top 10.

Draft thoughts:
    My top priorities in the first 4 rounds would be OT, C, TE, G and WR, with WR and OG in 3 or 4.

If Daniel Carlson is still there in 4 or 5 he would get serious consideration as well.

In free agency I would target RG and RT

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    I would interview the following guys:

Frank Reich (Eagles OC)
    Josh McDaniels (Pats OC)
    Pete Carmichael (Saints OC)
    Marquand Manuel (Falcons DC) Disclaimer: Rooney Rule candidate, but would get a fair shot
    Hue Jackson if fired.

I would lean towards one of the OC coaches. Looking for an aggressive disciplined coach who can manage a game.

I would not force him to keep anyone he was not comfortable with, but I would encourage him to interview the current defensive staff and Simmons.

AJ Mac would either get a second round tender if he is an RFA, or a tag (with a goal of trading) if UFA. Minimum a second round pick in the top 10.

Draft thoughts:
    My top priorities in the first 4 rounds would be OT, C, TE, G and WR, with WR and OG in 3 or 4.

If Daniel Carlson is still there in 4 or 5 he would get serious consideration as well.

In free agency I would target RG and RT
    Agree with most of this but if they lose the hearing and he's a UFA, there's not much they can do but let McCarron walk.

The franchise tag for QBs is $25M next year. There will be little to no trade market for him at that price tag. And it would be disastrous to get stuck with $40M+ cap hit at the QB position if we were stuck with him.

You don’t have to pay him that unless he signs do you? Even then I think you can still trade him and the new team can renegotiate can’t they?

That's far too big of a risk. $25 million guaranteed is probably significantly more than what he would be guaranteed on the open market over multiple years. He would be crazy not to sign the tag and hold the clipboard for another year. Sadly, Glennon probably really hurt him in his chances of scoring a huge deal.

Anyone think that the Bengals would consider firing Marvin before the season is over, and give a trial run to someone like Simmons or Paulie G for 4 or 5 games? Particularly if they would be in the HC consideration set once the season ends? Just wondering everyone's thoughts.

Not saying I would do that - but assuming Marvin is gone, I wonder if Mike, Katie, etc. would consider any of the three coordinators, and if so, whether they would want to assess their ability with the bullets still flying?

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    Anyone think that the Bengals would consider firing Marvin before the season is over, and give a trial run to someone like Simmons or Paulie G for 4 or 5 games? Particularly if they would be in the HC consideration set once the season ends? Just wondering everyone's thoughts.

Not saying I would do that - but assuming Marvin is gone, I wonder if Mike, Katie, etc. would consider any of the three coordinators, and if so, whether they would want to assess their ability with the bullets still flying?
    I think any normal organization would think about doing that but we are not normal. I think Mike is too loyal to Marvin to fire him. I would guess they let Marvin “retire” at the end of the year rather then fire him. I would like to see if the team is any different under Simmons or Gunther for a few games but that probably won’t happen. Hopefully I am wrong though.

Put me in the 'we need new blood' crowd...

My level of immersion just isn’t what it was five or ten years ago. Too much free time has vanished to parenting and homeownership. Am I crazy to think next year's coach could play Jon Gruden to Marvin's Tony Dungy? I just think we're too set everywhere but O-Line to actually be this bad a team.