Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Year End Positional Review

1. Trading #12 for #21 and #22 is now my favorite pet theory. I'm gonna be super disappointed when it doesn't happen, but I'll keep hoping.

This looks like a pretty solid QB class. Darnold-Rosen are going 1-2 in some order, then you have Baker, Allen, Lamar Jackson, and Mason Rudolph all possibly finding their way into the 1st orund. There's a great chance one of those guys is sitting there at #12 and Buffalo jumps up to get him.
    ORANGE n BLACK

I wonder if they could get that much in return for trading down?

If you look at a trade value chart a 2nd round pick should be exactly enough to move up from #21 to #12.

But on the other hand...the QB market is guaranteed to be overheated and the #12 spot could be the last chance to get the one of the 2nd tier guys.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    I wonder if they could get that much in return for trading down?

If you look at a trade value chart a 2nd round pick should be exactly enough to move up from #21 to #12.

But on the other hand...the QB market is guaranteed to be overheated and the #12 spot could be the last chance to get the one of the 2nd tier guys.

I think it really depends on who is there at 12, and who wants him and how badly. If as you say it's the last of the upper-tier QBs, I could see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    Wide Receiver
    AJ Green didn't have a great season, especially later in the year, but he is one of the best in the game. Boyd disappeared for much of the year and was a disappointment, but he showed enough promise as a rookie, and late this season I think they will count on him in 2018. I am still excited for what Ross could bring if properly used. Malone has a ton of upside. Lafell is decent, but hopefully Ross or Malone can take over the #2 role. Erickson plays well when given the chance. Core was supposed to be improved but never did anything as a WR this year. But played well enough on special teams I think he will be kept.
    Need: IMO, as of now we do not have a true #2 WR. Plenty of candidates but no one proven that is "exciting". I could see them looking at a free agent upgrade to LaFell as insurance but unless it's a BPA pick I don't think they draft one.
    My take. AJ Greene is frustrated because an offense that goes directly through him isn't working. He may be their best player but throwing into constant double and triple teams isn't smart football. The Bengals lack of a true #2 is magnified bigly by the loss of Eifert at TE. Lafell is a great vet to have around but the offense needs more suddenness and big play ability from the #2 spot. An upgrade is badly needed. John Ross was supposed to be that guy but showed nothing. He'll get another chance. Boyd disappeared after his car was discovered abandoned and filled with troubling items. No jail, but a dog house. If the Bengals can trust him he's an asset from the slot. I seem to like Malone more than they do. Erickson may not have done enough on special teams to secure his tiny role in the passing game. Cody Core is a special teamer taking up space in the WR room.

Point being, they could still use some help and WR is a position they're not afraid of grabbing early and often. Further, if there's a run on OT prospects and the Bengals find themselves looking at...Kolton Miller...I'd pass on OT until a later round. WR might be tempting at #12. Ridley or Sutton.

Offensive Tackle
    I was hopeful that Ced O and Fisher would develop into good players. Needless to say that did not happen. The 2 prime backups are old and on the downside of their careers. Fisher's medical condition makes him a huge question mark. There is a chance the procedure "fixed" him and he could develop into a good player. Or it could end his career. He certainly cannot be counted on.
    Need: Dire. I would draft the best one available in 1 even it it means a little bit of a reach. And I would draft another one by the end of 3. And/or sign a free agent who isn't 90 years old and hurt all the time.
    The need is undeniable. Where we may differ is what to do if all of the top three guys (Williams, Brown, McGlinchey) are off the board at #12. If that happens I'm going to start looking at BPA regardless of position.

6. Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    My take. AJ Greene is frustrated because an offense that goes directly through him isn't working. He may be their best player but throwing into constant double and triple teams isn't smart football. The Bengals lack of a true #2 is magnified bigly by the loss of Eifert at TE. Lafell is a great vet to have around but the offense needs more suddenness and big play ability from the #2 spot. An upgrade is badly needed. John Ross was supposed to be that guy but showed nothing. He'll get another chance. Boyd disappeared after his car was discovered abandoned and filled with troubling items. No jail, but a dog house. If the Bengals can trust him he's an asset from the slot. I seem to like Malone more than they do. Erickson may not have done enough on special teams to secure his tiny role in the passing game. Cody Core is a special teamer taking up space in the WR room.

Point being, they could still use some help and WR is a position they're not afraid of grabbing early and often. Further, if there's a run on OT prospects and the Bengals find themselves looking at...Kolton Miller...I'd pass on OT until a later round. WR might be tempting at #12. Ridley or Sutton.
    I don't think WR is a need in the first round. I'm hoping that Boyd/Malone/Ross get the opportunity to fill that WR2 role this summer. If a starting OT is not there in round one, I'd rather seem them look at LB.

Guard
    Boling is good enough at LG that it's not a need. I was not impressed with Hopkins, at least early. Westerman and Redmond played capably the last 2 games. None of them are "studs" but I think they were good enough to be capable if tackle and center (up next) are improved.
    Need: Minor. I would still consider drafting a big body mauler at RG if one is available and BPA but I think they are adequate if the rest of the line is improved.

Center
    Bodine has been a disappointment. He is also a free agent. Let him go. TJ Johnson is an adequate backup.
    Need: HIGH. High enough that I would consider Price in 1 with a trade back a few spots IF the top OTs are gone. I would certainly take one in 2. If a good free agent is available I'd look there too.
    I think it's safe to say Westerman and Redmond are making a push for playing time somewhere on the line, possibly as starters at positions other than OG. Westerman could step in at OC if Bodine leaves as expected and Redmond looked like a road grader at ORG/ORT. At the very least I liked him better than Hopkins.

As for the draft, I like Quenton Nelson enough to pull the trigger at #12 but I don't think I could pull the trigger on Price in the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by Enon Bengal View Post
    I don't think WR is a need in the first round. I'm hoping that Boyd/Malone/Ross get the opportunity to fill that WR2 role this summer. If a starting OT is not there in round one, I'd rather seem them look at LB.
    No argument. Just wouldn't rule out WR or other positions.

Lots of Defensive players to consider IF there's a run on OT's before #12....including at least one of all types of defensive lineman...perhaps two elite Safety prospsects....and one of the fastest most instinctive linebackers in recent memory. Might be tempting for a team that can't cover the TE.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    I think it's safe to say Westerman and Redmond are making a push for playing time somewhere on the line, possibly as starters at positions other than OG. Westerman could step in at OC if Bodine leaves as expected and Redmond looked like a road grader at ORG/ORT. At the very least I liked him better than Hopkins.

As for the draft, I like Quenton Nelson enough to pull the trigger at #12 but I don't think I could pull the trigger on Price in the 1st round.
    I just REALLY hope they don’t ignore guard in the off season because of what those guys did. They had not played at all for 14 games so they were fresh at the end of the year playing against guys who had been beat on for 14 games.

I just REALLY hope they don’t ignore guard in the off season because of what those guys did. They had not played at all for 14 games so they were fresh at the end of the year playing against guys who had been beat on for 14 games.
    Hard to ignore the seasons two best OL performances. Against teams playing for playoff spots. I think it speaks well of the Bengals depth at OG when you see what they did at seasons end using a mostly all OG front.

If Westerman can play OC it solves a lot of problems. If Redmond can play ORG/T it solves a few more. Better still if one of them could actually earn a starting job.

BTW....Is JJ Deilman still a Bengal? And didn't they just interview his old OL coach?