Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Year End Positional Review

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Hard to ignore the seasons two best OL performances. Against teams playing for playoff spots. I think it speaks well of the Bengals depth at OG when you see what they did at seasons end using a mostly all OG front.

If Westerman can play OC it solves a lot of problems. If Redmond can play ORG/T it solves a few more. Better still if one of them could actually earn a starting job.

BTW....Is JJ Deilman still a Bengal? And didn't they just interview his old OL coach?
    Dielman is a Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    I just REALLY hope they don’t ignore guard in the off season because of what those guys did. They had not played at all for 14 games so they were fresh at the end of the year playing against guys who had been beat on for 14 games.
    They almost have to "ignore" something though. Really hard to bring in 4 new starting OL. 3 new starters is already going to be extremely difficult and I think that's what they need to do with Center and both tackle spots badly in need of upgrades.

Boling is a solid starter and I'm fine with them sticking with Redmond at the other OG spot.

If they can sign a free agent C (preferably) or G and they can get a 2 for AJMac I think they can finish what they need to do in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    They almost have to "ignore" something though. Really hard to bring in 4 new starting OL. 3 new starters is already going to be extremely difficult and I think that's what they need to do with Center and both tackle spots badly in need of upgrades.

Boling is a solid starter and I'm fine with them sticking with Redmond at the other OG spot.
    I could see either Redmond or Westerman getting a shot - maybe a 3-way competition with Hopkins (who I don't think is a starter - more like a utility guy who can play G or T).

Lap seemed to think that Redmond could be a RT because he's such a powerful drive blocker. Bottom line, they need at least 2, and probably 3 new OL starters and I think with Boling, and one of the Gs (or moving Westerman to C), they have 2 on the roster already.

I'd like to see Richburg at C in FA, and heck, maybe Ced or Fisher can play one of the T spots. I find it hard to believe that neither of those high picks can play.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    ...and heck, maybe Ced or Fisher can play one of the T spots. I find it hard to believe that neither of those high picks can play.
    Well, isn't that the elephant in the room? It's not hard to envision the Bengals addressing one of the OT spots in the coming draft, but BOTH? Not that you couldn't make an argument that both spots NEED to be upgraded, but is it a feasible thing to do in one offseason using a limited number of draft assets....some of which might be put to better use elsewhere?

It's easy for fans to craft paint-by-numbers styled mock drafts where the Bengals fill every offensive line spot with a new draft pack but what if the powers that be haven't given up on Ogbuehi yet? What if the new Oline coach determines the Bengals next starting center is already on the roster but playing a different position? What if the only OL need to be addressed in the coming draft was at the ORT spot? Or what if the only early draft asset used to address the Oline was the 2nd rounder? What if the Bengals agreed to use the #12 spot on a defensive player?

IMO this team has few needs outside the O-line. Probably a backup QB and depth at LB and possibly DE.

7. No law of the universe says the Bengals can't replace 3 or 4 spots and fail to improve. The Vikings did precisely this last offseason with pretty spectacular results.

IMO at least 2 of your starters are on the roster. Boling and whoever the best guard is out of Westerman, Redmond, etc. And I tend to agree with the above discussion on Fisher/Ogbuehi... the plan for having both of them as the bookends obviously failed, but what can you make out of them going forward? They are talented players. Can one of them make an above average guard? Can Ced perform at RT? Can you make a decent swing tackle out of one of them? Big job for the new OL coach.
    ORANGE n BLACK

Linebacker and a 1 tech defensive lineman seem to be pretty big needs. They need to shore up the run defense. A move tight end as well if Eifert moves in FA since they don't seem to value Uzomah much. Think they would really need to knock FA and the draft out of the park to be able to win the north next year.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Well, isn't that the elephant in the room? It's not hard to envision the Bengals addressing one of the OT spots in the coming draft, but BOTH? Not that you couldn't make an argument that both spots NEED to be upgraded, but is it a feasible thing to do in one offseason using a limited number of draft assets....some of which might be put to better use elsewhere?

It's easy for fans to craft paint-by-numbers styled mock drafts where the Bengals fill every offensive line spot with a new draft pack but what if the powers that be haven't given up on Ogbuehi yet? What if the new Oline coach determines the Bengals next starting center is already on the roster but playing a different position? What if the only OL need to be addressed in the coming draft was at the ORT spot? Or what if the only early draft asset used to address the Oline was the 2nd rounder? What if the Bengals agreed to use the #12 spot on a defensive player?
    Right. I'm not convinced that they feel Ced is done. He had some meltdowns last fall but overall I thought he was pretty good, and a lot better than his first year as a starter. He just needs to be more consistent.

If it were me, I'd focus more on Ced's development because to me, he looked better than Fisher. Of course, Paul Aexander felt like Fisher was his best OL, so what do I know? Guess we will find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    IMO this team has few needs outside the O-line. Probably a backup QB and depth at LB and possibly DE.
    Don't focus so much on need. Looking exclusively at what you have ignores what's available if you focus on BPA.

If I asked you to put together a short list of the five best players available at #12 you wouldn't seriously list four offensive tackles and Saquon Barkley would you? At some point you can't justify passing on better players who play other positions. At some point you put off drafting the next ranked OT on your list.

Kolton Miller can't be the pick. He just can't.

The Bengals are drafting 12th. Seems reasonable to think a couple of OT prospects are worthy of being selected that high. Toss in one more just because. That makes three. And for my three I'll pick Williams, Brown, and with some misgivings...McGlinchey.

So what happens if all three are off the board? Or say, two are off the board but the Bengals have a much higher grade on a defender?