Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lewis returns with two-year deal

How will new staff and free agents help him to not be such a terrible in game coach?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    If Paul Alexander were somehow let go, that would mollify me a bit. But that won’t happen either.
    I'd be surprised also. I can see Marvin saying that he's the best OL coach in the NFL. Even though that has been the team's Achilles heel for awhile now, and Alexander's guys like Bodine, Fisher and Ogbuehi have all been flops thus far.

I’ve decided this is hilarious. All I can do is laugh. Sure, why not.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I’ve decided this is hilarious. All I can do is laugh. Sure, why not.
    I am 100% with you. Laugh to keep from crying. I have told myself all year that I am almost happy with the terrible performances b/c that is what it was going to take to move on from this staff. The thing that blows my mind is that I fully understand that Mike Brown is NOT committed to do what it takes to try to win the Super Bowl, and I have always felt that his bottom line on his financial statements is the most important thing. I cannot see anything short of a massive amount of season ticket cancellations and empty seats in the future. I guess the TV money/shared revenue is enough that he doesn't even care about that anymore. I sincerely hate the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Cullen Bohannon View Post
    I am 100% with you. Laugh to keep from crying. I have told myself all year that I am almost happy with the terrible performances b/c that is what it was going to take to move on from this staff. The thing that blows my mind is that I fully understand that Mike Brown is NOT committed to do what it takes to try to win the Super Bowl, and I have always felt that his bottom line on his financial statements is the most important thing. I cannot see anything short of a massive amount of season ticket cancellations and empty seats in the future. I guess the TV money/shared revenue is enough that he doesn't even care about that anymore. I sincerely hate the man.
    I remember years ago reading a quote from Mike Brown that talked about wanting to field a "competitive" team. And I remember shaking my head and thinking, this guy doesn't want to win, and as long as he's around, they won't because other owners/teams consider not winning the SB a failure.

As I've followed the team for a longer period now, I do think Mike cares about winning... but on his terms, if that makes sense. He seems to think that "his way" can be successful, and if you look at what Marvin has done in his tenure - relative to the other history of the team - they have done that - at least, when you look at playoff appearances. Clearly, the playoff "success" has been an abomination, but 7 appearances in 15 years, relative to 7 appearances in the previous 20 - does mean something... to some people, and I count Mike among them.

I don't see a lot of change coming, and while I'm still a fan and am hopeful, I don't currently see that things will get any better. I feel like Marvin was right for the organization as far as righting the ship, setting a positive course, etc. but that time is past and they needed someone else to take the "next step"... but that ain't happening.

Just thinking outside the box but I wonder how much him coming back this year has to do with some prominent guys hitting FA after this next year. Seems like the vets really respect him and obviously played pretty hard for him, but I have heard through the grapevine that the younger guys really do not care for him (guessing it stems from him giving vets much more playing time).

Would have sucked to see him go away and snatch Geno and Carlos next year.

7. “My job is to win a World Championship."
    And until I do that, my job is apparently safe. I wonder if I could pull that with my employer ...

Attached Images Attached Images

podcast.

Nickel Package: New Lewis deal an indictment of Bengals roster?

Mina Kimes and Domonique Foxworth debate Marvin Lewis' contract extension with the Bengals, including who's to blame for the franchise's stagnation and much more.

Random thought of the day:

I wonder if Marvin is brought back if Hue was available. And which one would you prefer if you had to choose?