Thread: Marvin's Press Conference

Marvin's Press Conference

I missed the first few minutes and the end, so this is incomplete, but here are my takeaways:

1. If you are a fan who is frustrated that way, you didn't get anything from Marvin to make you feel any better about the decision to bring him back. And that's important that way.

On a more serious note, I think Marvin and the organization underestimate how important it is to cultivate a positive relationship with the fans and not have a toxic environment around the team and the city. From this perspective, it was a D or F performance from Marvin and his condescending laughs at what were legit questions and non-answers are frustrating. I don't know if his relationship with the public can be fixed and I think that will hurt the W-L performance on the field both with lack of home-field advantage and negativity creeping into the locker room.

2. He did mention that they want to be more aggressive in free agency in "bringing in players from other teams." Also mentioned how they have to improve at making sure they have guys in place after free agency at positions that are weak in the upcoming draft. Seemed a clear reference to them screwing up the OL in FA last offseason and then getting to the draft and there weren't guys they thought could help. Wants to make sure that doesn't happen again. Good news there I guess.

3. He strongly implied that Paul Alexander (and some other coaches) weren't connecting with, teaching and developing players the way they needed to. Talked about how players/coaching has changed since the 90s and coaches have to change with the times. Shots fired.

4. Seemed to imply that Guenther would be back and that there were changes coming with assistants on the defensive side of the ball too when he said both coordinators would have input on their assistant coaching hires on their side of the ball. I think some of the long-time Mikey favorites (Coyle?) might be looking for new jobs.

Thanks for the insight.

On #2 I think he means players from the CFL amd semi-pro. But hey, that’s something.

Glad to hear about the coaching thing... they may have missed on all of the OL and we will find out... but I find that hard to believe. I think Haslett is gone, too.

Blog Entries
    Interesting. They once brought in new assistant coaches and with them came players. Think about the Zimmer guys that made the team better. They seem to have lost that. Side note: Terrence Newman is still playing and at a fairly high level - amazing!

.... and I mostly agree. Player development seemed to have lacked off compared to previous years. In some cases, the best player may had been buried on the bench.

Quite honestly, Alexander should have been fired for not playing Mathis over Livings.
    Last edited by cwing; 01-03-2018 at 07:11 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by cwing View Post
    Interesting. They once brought in new assistant coaches and with them came players. Think about the Zimmer guys that made the team better. They seem to have lost that. Side note: Terrence Newman is still playing and at a fairly high level - amazing!

.... and I mostly agree. Player development seemed to have lacked off compared to previous years. In some cases, the best player may had been buried on the bench.

Quite honestly, Alexander should have been fired for not playing Mathis over Livings.
    ha ha - forgot about that and agree 100%