Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking ahead to Free Agency

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Wait. What? Seems like every time I mention drafting Quentin Nelson you mock the idea of drafting a OLG. But you'd spend big money in FA to sign one?

Also, there's huge disparity between a 2nd tier DE and the type of player that can bag three sacks in a game. Ansah managed that trick 3 times last year in an injury filled season. And before someone mentions injuries as a reason NOT to sign Ansah....those injuries are the only reason the Lions are considering allowing him to leave.

I agree the smart money says they won't. But IMO the even smarter money says you have to try to get him if the Lions don't franchise him....and Teryl Austin agrees to become the new DC. Not sure what the odds of that might be, probably low, but I think Austin might agree to come here now if promised the HC job is his in two years.
    I don't think either will happen. I was using Norwell as an example because he is a good free agent OL I know is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    I don't think either will happen. I was using Norwell as an example because he is a good free agent OL I know is available.
    What makes Norwell a better risk going forward than our own Westerman and Redmond? Oh, and didn't Carolina put a 2nd round tender designation on Norwell just today? Also, I read where Norwell was expected to get 12m per if Carolina allows him to leave.

Meanwhile, the very first building block in my Ziggy Ansah fantasy...(Teryl Austin agreeing to become the Bengals DC for 2 years)...is apparently happening right now.

Next challenge? Convincing Detroit's ownership/brain trust/new head coach they don't need or want Ziggy Ansah at roughly 15 million price w/franchise tag.

I've got no way to handicap that one but for now let's call it 50/50. So if the Lions agree to let Ziggy go the connection with Teryl Austin should be enough to get the Bengals a meeting when free agency begins.

That's it. That's my plan to win a Super Bowl in the next two years.

Ziggy at RDE. Carlos at LDE. Geno at one DT spot. Lots of options at the other. That's at least 30 sacks from the down lineman. Add another handful from MJ replacement Chris Smith and yet another handful from OLB/DE Carl Lawson. That would be the best pass rush in the NFL...and it's only one player away. Toss in Vontaze Burfict and three 1st round cornerbacks and no matter what happens on the offensive side of the ball you've got an instant playoff team and Super Bowl contender.

I wouldn’t hate signing Ziggy. But I still don’t think they will target big money free agents. And if they do I’d prefer they do it for an O-lineman. I’m a lot happier with our DL than our OL.

If they don't get Teryl Austin to agree to be the new DC and head coach in waiting there's no Ziggy fantasy. I'm counting on him being the difference between the Bengals getting a serious response to any FA bid they make. And while the move would be out of character for the Bengals. I think it alone would be enough to make the Bengals Super Bowl contenders. One move.

Best, there would be no fat or overlap. Ziggy has only played RDE. He's both young and elite. The Bengals current starter at RDE is aging and barely adequate. Further, MJ is at risk of being cut to save money regardless. The ideal replacement should be both younger and an upgrade. Ansah would provide that like few others and the money saved by cutting MJ is already targeted at the RDE position. Why settle for another MJ level replacement when a little more money could result in the best defensive line in the entire NFL?

I disagree that adding one player ANYWHERE makes us a Super Bowl contender. Mostly because I still think our offensive line is a significant issue. I’m not convinced going into 2018 season with the line we finished 2017 with will continue to produce the results we saw the last 2 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    I disagree that adding one player ANYWHERE makes us a Super Bowl contender. Mostly because I still think our offensive line is a significant issue.
    Well, one thing is certain. The Bengals won't be a Super Bowl contender anytime soon if their plans are based in turning around the 32nd best offense in the NFL or completely rebuilding an offensive line from soup to nuts. Sweet Jeebus, how long does THAT plan take?

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Well, one thing is certain. The Bengals won't be a Super Bowl contender anytime soon if their plans are based in turning around the 32nd best offense in the NFL or completely rebuilding an offensive line from soup to nuts. Sweet Jeebus, how long does THAT plan take?
    If they don't improve the O-line they aren't going anywhere. It doesn't have to be great, but awful can't repeat either.