Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead to Free Agency

Looking ahead to Free Agency

It looks like the Bengals have somewhere in the neighborhood of $35M in cap space based upon current projections.

Potential Cap Casualties

1. Adam Jones- Would save them $6M. I think he ends up getting cut. WJIII looks like a star. They are paying Dre and Dennard a lot of money to be 2nd and 3rd CBs. Wouldn't mind Jones sticking around for depth if restructured but he's way too expensive as a backup/punt returner.

2. Michael Johnson- Would save $5M. Johnson had a pretty decent year but turns 32 before the season. I'd think they could replace him with a mid-round pick.

Key Free Agents

1. Tyler Eifert- Gut feeling is that Kroft showed enough for Bengals to feel like they don't have to overpay and somebody else will get aggressive here. Guessing something like a 30-40% chance he's back.

2. AJ McCarron- I think this goes through some sort of arbitration hearing to determine if he's unrestricted or restricted. If restricted, a 2nd round tender for a few million makes sense. Hope somebody makes him an offer and take the 2. Or keep him another year as a cheap backup.

3. Andre Smith- Meh. I think they will/should try to do better.

4. Kevin Minter- Meh. I think they will/should try to do better. Wouldn't hate it as cheap depth if the price is right.

5. Russell Bodine- Will be curious to see how new OL coach impacts this decision. I'd hope with Alexander gone this ship sails away too.

6. Kevin Huber- He's pretty good. I bet he gets $3M or so and comes back.

7. Chris Smith- If they can keep him for cheaper than MJ's $5M, I hope they bring him back in that role.

8. Pat Sims- Hopefully they get an upgrade in the draft but if they can keep him cheap again with low guarantees, whatever.

9. Jeremy Hill/Cedric Peerman- Not needed with Mixon and Gio. Hopefully they bring in a young, cheap #3 who can backup at RB and play special teams.

Cap Space for Outside FAs. For sake of argument, let's say they cut Pacman and MJ, keep McCarron, Huber and Smith at ~$3M per year each. That would leave them with $37M. Subtract $15M or whatever for draft picks and injury reserve.

That would leave them something like $22M to play with in FA and/or use for extensions for Dunlap and Geno who are entering final year of deals. That should be enough to sign 2 or 3 starting caliber outside FAs, preferably on the OL.

I don't expect them to cut MJ. I do't expect McCarron on the roster but I think your price tag is about right.

Great year to be shopping. We could lose all of our free agents and be fine.

Punch List

Hire T. Austin as DC.

Decline option on Adam Jones and MJ. Save 11m.

Add DE Ziggy Ansah in free agency. Use connection with Austin to immediate advantage. Use money saved by purging older veterans. Add more if needed.

Keep Chris Smith. Huber? Of course.

Work on extensions for Dunlap and Geno. Try to keep both.

Don't ignore the defense in the draft.

Do what Jacksonville did.

Don't wait on the 32nd ranked offense to get it's act together.

Build a beast.

Start with Ziggy.

I haven’t followed the Lions closely. Is Ansah going to be “expensive”? If so, then no. I think we are in a good spot at DE with the young guys and would prefer a cheaper depth guy and spend the big money on O-line.

Mike Brown loves Adam Jones and I really think he will be here one way or another.

Dream killer.

Of course Ansah would be expensive. But so what? Cut Adams and MJ and you're almost there. Keep Smith and give him the Gilberry role MJ inherited and you've replaced MJ's snaps without breaking a sweat. As for Adam Jones it can be argued he was already replaced on the field last season.

Best, Tery's Austins defensive schemes are based upon very little blitzing....4-man pass rushes...and he has a history with Ansah. In fact, Ansah just finished the season with back-to-back 3 sack games giving him12 sacks total. And Austin also has a long history of very heavily investing in deep defensive lines using both the draft and free agency.

How does he use the corners?

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Dream killer.

Of course Ansah would be expensive. But so what? Cut Adams and MJ and you're almost there. Keep Smith and give him the Gilberry role MJ inherited and you've replaced MJ's snaps without breaking a sweat. As for Adam Jones it can be argued he was already replaced on the field last season.

Best, Tery's Austins defensive schemes are based upon very little blitzing....4-man pass rushes...and he has a history with Ansah. In fact, Ansah just finished the season with back-to-back 3 sack games giving him12 sacks total. And Austin also has a long history of very heavily investing in deep defensive lines using both the draft and free agency.
    How about cut Jones and Johnson and use the money for Andrew Norwell and a second tier DE? I'm happy with Willis, Lawson, Dunlap, and the guys we have at DE. If we are going to spend big money on a free agent, I'd rather fix our biggest weakness and draft a mid round DE.

I’ve gotta believe guys like Ziggy, DeMarcus Lawrence and Andrew Norvell will be franchised. Would love to have any of them, though.

I’d be interested in Eifert, keeping MJ at a lower rate, Chris Smith, and Huber. That’s about it. I don’t see AJ coming back and I suppose I could be convinced re Andre Smith as a swing tackle, like Winston was this year.

Re DC I like Teryl Austin as well, and I’d consider Darren Perry if Austin signs elsewhere. Rumor has it GB is interested in Austin, too and I’m sure others are also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    How about cut Jones and Johnson and use the money for Andrew Norwell and a second tier DE? I'm happy with Willis, Lawson, Dunlap, and the guys we have at DE. If we are going to spend big money on a free agent, I'd rather fix our biggest weakness and draft a mid round DE.
    Wait. What? Seems like every time I mention drafting Quentin Nelson you mock the idea of drafting a OLG. But you'd spend big money in FA to sign one?

Also, there's huge disparity between a 2nd tier DE and the type of player that can bag three sacks in a game. Ansah managed that trick 3 times last year in an injury filled season. And before someone mentions injuries as a reason NOT to sign Ansah....those injuries are the only reason the Lions are considering allowing him to leave.

I agree the smart money says they won't. But IMO the even smarter money says you have to try to get him if the Lions don't franchise him....and Teryl Austin agrees to become the new DC. Not sure what the odds of that might be, probably low, but I think Austin might agree to come here now if promised the HC job is his in two years.

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    Key Free Agents

1. Tyler Eifert- Gut feeling is that Kroft showed enough for Bengals to feel like they don't have to overpay and somebody else will get aggressive here. Guessing something like a 30-40% chance he's back.
    Marvin says they want Eifert back. Status quo, you know.

Offseason job one is saving Andy Dalton. Eifert helps you do that when he's healthy. (Stop laughing.)

If someone has to grossly overpay by millions of dollars for Eifert shouldn't it be us? He already has a Bengal uniform and helmet.

Is this what progress looks like? Throwing good money after bad in free agency is more than this team has done in the past.

It's as true today as when I first uttered these words a couple of decades ago. Let those other guys run the ball and play defense. We are the Bastard sons of Paul Brown and no matter what happens we will throw the ball around the yard.