Thread: Bengals hire Bob Bicknell as receivers coach

Bengals hire Bob Bicknell as receivers coach

Posted by Charean Williams on January 8, 2018, 3:52 PM EST

The Bengals hired Bob Bicknell as wide receivers coach, the team announced Monday.

Bicknell leaves Baylor University, where he served as receivers coach in 2017.

The Bengals were in search for a new coach at the position after James Urban left to rejoin John Harbaugh and Marty Mornhinweg in Baltimore as the Ravens’ quarterbacks coach.

Bicknell has 25 years of experience, including 10 in the NFL as an offensive assistant coach with Kansas City (2007-09), Buffalo (2010-12), Philadelphia (2013-15) and San Francisco (2016). He also coached eight seasons in NFL Europe with Frankfurt (1998-99), Berlin (2000-03) and Cologne (2004-05).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ceivers-coach/

James Urban has had some success in the past but it's difficult to overstate how much WR talent the Bengals wasted last year.

Too much AJ Green. Too much Brandon LaFell. Not a single young WR emerged and most regressed.

I will not miss James Urban.

Bicknell did really well with desean Jackson during his stint as eagles receivers coach... (looks over at John Ross and crosses fingers)...

I'm kinda mixed on this one. I liked Urban although I don't think he did a great job this year with Core or getting more Malone as the season progressed. Re: Bicknell, I've read some good and not so good... even during his tenure in Philly. No doubt he's coached under some innovative offensive minds, and Lazor knows him so that counts for something. I remember Lazor talking about the importance of relationships with his staff.

There was a well-publicized sideline blowup that Bicknell in Philly had with DeSean over his belief that DeSean didn't do enough to break up an INT - heck, he should do that with AJ, sometimes, too. I'm cautiously optimistic on this one.

Any good Baylor WRs coming out?

Wonder if letting Urban go had anything to do with the John Ross pick. Marvin clearly seems to not have been on board with the pick and I have to imagine Urban firmly was. I wonder if Marvin left him walk as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Wonder if letting Urban go had anything to do with the John Ross pick. Marvin clearly seems to not have been on board with the pick and I have to imagine Urban firmly was. I wonder if Marvin left him walk as a result.
    Again, why stop with the Ross pick? Boyd spent most of the season in a dog house nearly as big as the one John Ross found himself trapped in. And Malone was inactive for half a season and then lucky to get more than a single look per game. Not to mention Cody Core because why would you bother?

Forget production, the only wideouts Urban had prepared to play were aging veterans who don't actually need a WR coach.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Again, why stop with the Ross pick? Boyd spent most of the season in a dog house nearly as big as the one John Ross found himself trapped in. And Malone was inactive for half a season and then lucky to get more than a single look per game. Not to mention Cody Core because why would you bother?

Forget production, the only wideouts Urban had prepared to play were aging veterans who don't actually need a WR coach.
    I would make my prime indictment against Urban the faltering of his biggest star. AJ always wilted just a little bit under pressure, but this year seemed to be even greater. But yeah, the Boyd burying was made all the more glaring by what happened once he was, you know, active for games.

And for the impossible-to-miss favoritism of vets over younger guns, it's very hard not to smell the stink of Marvin Lewis all over that...

...which makes me wonder what the hell happened on Defense such that the youngin's were let loose.