Thread: Report: Teryl Austin to become Bengals’ defensive coordinator

Report: Teryl Austin to become Bengals’ defensive coordinator

Posted by Charean Williams on January 8, 2018, 4:10 PM EST

The Raiders wanted Teryl Austin as their defensive backs coach, offering him the assistant head coach title as incentive. But Austin apparently wanted to remain a defensive coordinator more.

Austin has accepted the Bengals’ offer to become their defensive coordinator, according to Josina Anderson of ESPN.

Austin has served as the Lions’ defensive coordinator the past four seasons. He interviewed for the head coaching position, vacated with the team’s firing of Jim Caldwell, but the Lions are expected to make an external hire.

Detroit’s defenses under Austin weren’t not as good after his first season, ranking second, 18th, 18th and 27th in yards allowed from 2014-17.

The Bengals are replacing Paul Guenther, who joined Jon Gruden in Oakland.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-coordinator/

I am stoked about this.

Told ya'.

Head coach in waiting. IMO he'll get two years to settle in on a staff previously devoid of head coaching candidates. Bengals have better defensive talent than he was working with in Detroit, but I hope he came with a few demands and received assurances of certain things. Bengals can't ignore defense in the draft.

What I love is they got someone who was in demand. Good practice for getting Ansah...

Good get. GB wanted him as well but that got blocked. I like that he's coached in the AFC N also, so he's familiar with competing against Ben and Flacco.

This D needs to get more turnovers and his pedigree suggests that his DBs have been able to get their hands on the ball. He's coached up some good players there - not only Ziggy nsah but Darius Slay, DeAndre Levy, etc.

I like that his secondaries are known for playing the ball well in the air. Maybe he can help DreK and Iloka learn how to do that some.

Will our CBs match up or stay sides?