Thread: Bengals 2017 draft class has yielded 2 future stars

Bengals 2017 draft class has yielded 2 future stars

Bengals' 2017 draft class has two future stars in Joe Mixon, Carl Lawson

Rookie Joe Mixon led the Bengals with 178 carries and 626 rushing yards. Aaron Doster/USA TODAY Sports7:00 AM ET

• Katherine TerrellESPN Staff Writer

The Cincinnati Bengals selected 11 players in the 2017 NFL draft and finished with nine after two (Jake Elliott and J.J. Dielman) were signed off the practice squad. Tight end Mason Schreck spent the year on injured reserve, and Brandon Wilson and John Ross played sparingly. While Joe Mixon, Jordan Willis, Carl Lawson, Josh Malone, Ryan Glasgow and Jordan Evans all saw significant snaps, Lawson was clearly the star of the show.

ROUND/PICK NAME POS COLLEGE
    1/9 John Ross WR WASHINGTON
    2/48 Joe Mixon RB OKLAHOMA
    3/73 Jordan Willis DE KANSAS STATE
    4/116 Carl Lawson DE AUBURN
    4/128 Josh Malone WR TENNESSEE
    4/138 Ryan Glasgow DT MICHIGAN
    5/153 Jake Elliott K MEMPHIS
    5/176 J.J. Dielman C UTAH
    6/193 Jordan Evans ILB OKLAHOMA
    6/207 Brandon Wilson CB HOUSTON
    7/251 Mason Schreck TE BUFFALO

Grade: Average

Best rookie: Carl Lawson.
    Lawson was a star in training camp, and he was able to translate that to the field despite getting limited snaps to begin the season. Lawson finished the season second on the team in sacks (8.5), and it's clear that he has the makings of a future star. Lawson said in his exit meetings that the coaches talked about getting him on the field more next season. That should be one of the biggest goals of 2018.

Most improved rookie: Joe Mixon. Mixon has come a long way from backing up Jeremy Hill and slipping during a critical moment in a loss to Green Bay. Although he missed two games with a concussion, he finished with 178 carries for 626 yards and four touchdowns. He also caught 30 passes for 287 yards. With Hill off to free agency, Mixon will enter his second season as the presumed starter next to Giovani Bernard.
    Most disappointing rookie: John Ross. Ross played the fewest snaps of any rookie drafted in the first round, and his season was defined by injuries, lack of time on the field and rookie mistakes. Although he could rebound next season and become a star, it was a definite blow for the Bengals to get no use out of their first-round pick when there are others who could have helped them immediately at receiver.
    Jury is still out on: DB Brandon Wilson. The Bengals traded up to get Wilson in the sixth round of the draft, but he wasn't heard from much afterward. He was hurt most of the summer and was then placed on the practice squad. Although he played in eight games, he saw little action on defense. Wilson never got to show off what he could do as a returner. Wilson seemed like an exciting player when he was drafted but is still a mystery.

Undrafted rookie evaluation:
    Linebacker Hardy Nickerson saw significant playing time down the stretch due to injuries but could have promise for next season. Although Cethan Carter impressed enough in camp to earn a roster spot, his main role in 2017 was on special teams.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-...on-carl-lawson

I thought they had a solid draft - and as an every-down player, I'm not convinced that Willis won't surpass Lawson. He won't get 10 sacks like Lawson will but he's more stout vs. the run, and I don't think he will wear down as much if he plays all 3 downs.

Also excited about Brandon Wilson, and what he can bring to STs. And Evans, you can see the physical ability but he looked terrible at times, too. Part of being a rookie... same with Nickerson but I think both guys showed enough to contribute in 2018. Of course, Ross is the big question but as the year progressed, Mixon showed more and more and by year-end, he looked really good to me. He's got to improve on ball security, though.

Not to be forgotten is Malone... not sure if Core will ever develop but at the very least, assuming Boyd comes back stronger and Ross develops, he's at least your 4th receiver, and maybe more than that.

Think I saw a stat at one point that mentioned that Lawson was the lowest graded player, by PFF, against the run. Going to be hard to be anything more than a nickel guy if he can't improve that.

Joe looked good at the end of the year, but hoping we aren't looking at another situation where we took a pretty good guy like Gio and missed out on a superstar like Bell (Kamara). Need to keep Joe on the field, but he did look a ton better near the end of the year this year as did the rest of the run game.

Thought Evans looked much better after they cleared up some communication issues after the bears debacle. Safeties and lbs weren't on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Thought Evans looked much better after they cleared up some communication issues after the bears debacle. Safeties and lbs weren't on the same page.
    That game and the one with Min was awful to watch. Guys running free everywhere, and after a few games things did improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Was either the Bears or Lions game, but I remember a specific play where I thought Williams screwed over Evans. Evans was out wide covering someone about 10 yards behind the line. Williams walked over and told him to get right up on the line, but then when the ball was snapped the WR/TE ran right behind Evans who tried to keep up and Williams was nowhere to be found covering deeper, giving up the TD. On the surface it looked like Evans just got beat but he wanted to play back so that he wouldn't let the guy behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorclaws View Post
    Was either the Bears or Lions game, but I remember a specific play where I thought Williams screwed over Evans. Evans was out wide covering someone about 10 yards behind the line. Williams walked over and told him to get right up on the line, but then when the ball was snapped the WR/TE ran right behind Evans who tried to keep up and Williams was nowhere to be found covering deeper, giving up the TD. On the surface it looked like Evans just got beat but he wanted to play back so that he wouldn't let the guy behind him.
    I think it was the TD pass in the Detroit game to TE Eric Ebron.