Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Bengals hire Frank Pollack as OL coach

Better for me is this JUST happened, he was let go late yesterday or earlier today and the bengals moved that fast to get him. Redfish a speed seldom seen at PBS front office.

I've heard this guy interviewed. He is INTENSE. A good thing, though.

Worked under one of the best OL coaches in Bill Callahan before getting the full OL title a few years ago in Dallas. Granted, he had a lot to work with with Smith, Martin, Frederick, and Collins... and Ron Leary in Zeke's first year. This past fall, the line (or for that matter, the Cowboys' offense) wasn't as good. A combination of lame play calling, Zeke missing time, receivers that didn't get deep or scare anyone, Dak not taking the next step in his development... and yeah, the OL wasn't great.

I didn't think the "stars" had great years, they missed Ron Leary, Tyron Smith played hurt a fair amount, and the young guys they had as replacements, like Chaz Green - were terrible. Not sure how much of that I put on Pollack but they are making pretty wholesale coaching changes on the offensive side.

I think it's a good hire, though.

This pleases me greatly.

Ok, I’m officially plugged back in to this team.

I'm a bit weary of the star power he was working with, but am pleased that there is some new blood in here.

Quote Originally Posted by whodeyjc View Post
    I'm a bit weary of the star power he was working with, but am pleased that there is some new blood in here.

you have to imagine he had a hand in helping draft that star power though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    you have to imagine he had a hand in helping draft that star power though.
    This.

I legit hope he can salvage the Tackles, & convince those in charge NOT to spend a dime trying to bring back Bodine. I was very excited that there would be a new face/voice for the O-line and this seems like about as good a choice as they could make.

I could not have been more disappointed in bringing back Lewis, but the new staff members and the healing power of time is making me excited again. I just can't quit this team and I am kidding myself to think otherwise.

Either salvage one of the tackles (I think both is asking too much) OR bring a fresh set of eyes to who is here and maybe move someone out to T who the previous regime had not considered who can handle it. Or move someone to C to get rid of Bodine. I suspect we do have people in house who could improve this line with some coaching and some moves.

Of course, drafting a T and a C is perfectly acceptable too. As would be signing a legit talent in FA.

At least, I don't have to dread another off-season where I think the powers-that-be are invested in trying to make previous mistakes work to save face.

Moving post to other thread...
    Last edited by membengal; 01-12-2018 at 08:41 AM.