Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Lazor: John Ross “gets to decide what he’s going to be”

Bill Lazor: John Ross “gets to decide what he’s going to be”

Posted by Charean Williams on January 18, 2018, 4:24 PM EST

Wide receiver John Ross didn’t do anything to live up to his draft status as a rookie, and the Bengals aren’t giving the ninth overall pick a pass because of injuries.

“The experiences he had here, he has to own them. That’s what he is,” Bengals offensive coordinator Bill Lazor said, via Geoff Hobson of the team website. “He gets to decide what he’s going to be.

“. . . He probably brings more proven measurables to the table, but it will be up to what he does.”

After his first season, Ross is left with nothing to hang his helmet on. He played in three games, 17 snaps total, and had no receptions. His only carry went for 12 yards but ended in a fumble. Andy Dalton targeted him only twice.

Ross spent most of the season last on the depth chart at the position, usually a healthy scratch when he was able to play. But he started the season injured and ended the season on injured reserve.

Ross recovered from offseason shoulder surgery late in training camp only to injure his knee in the fourth preseason game. He then later reinjured the knee and ended up on injured reserve with an injury to his other shoulder.

Now, his job is to get healthy and figure out “what he’s going to be.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-going-to-be/

Thats a nothing article. So frustrating. Why can't someone say why he was bad? Was it mentally? Was it motivation? Etc.

3. Bengal's fans should be used to it. Who the last first round pick to come in and play as a starter? Zeitler?

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post
    Thats a nothing article. So frustrating. Why can't someone say why he was bad? Was it mentally? Was it motivation? Etc.
    Based upon past articles and what Lapham has said on radio, it sounds like a combination of issues:

-He supposedly wasn't running past guys and showing his speed like they thought he would. Maybe because of the knee issues. Maybe because he missed so much training time all offseason. Maybe his game speed isn't as special as his combine numbers.

-He lacked confidence. Just didn't seem like he ever was confident in his abilities at this level, understanding of the offense, etc.

-Lack of urgency. This is kind of related to the lack of confidence but reading between the lines and just listening to Ross talk in interviews, he seemed pretty content to ease his way in vs. coming in with the attitude that he was desperate to make an immediate impact.

-Injuries and lack of practice. Again kind of related to the previous few but he never really got much full contact practice in which hurt confidence, understanding of the offense, trust of Dalton and coaches, etc.

He could turn it all around obviously but it is clearly an awful start to his career and it's obvious from Marvin and Lazor's comments that they were disappointed in the way he handled his business as a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    Based upon past articles and what Lapham has said on radio, it sounds like a combination of issues:

-He supposedly wasn't running past guys and showing his speed like they thought he would. Maybe because of the knee issues. Maybe because he missed so much training time all offseason. Maybe his game speed isn't as special as his combine numbers.

-He lacked confidence. Just didn't seem like he ever was confident in his abilities at this level, understanding of the offense, etc.

-Lack of urgency. This is kind of related to the lack of confidence but reading between the lines and just listening to Ross talk in interviews, he seemed pretty content to ease his way in vs. coming in with the attitude that he was desperate to make an immediate impact.

-Injuries and lack of practice. Again kind of related to the previous few but he never really got much full contact practice in which hurt confidence, understanding of the offense, trust of Dalton and coaches, etc.

He could turn it all around obviously but it is clearly an awful start to his career and it's obvious from Marvin and Lazor's comments that they were disappointed in the way he handled his business as a rookie.
    Good summary - we'll never know the "real" story but what you've strung together seems very plausible.

He certainly needed to do more, but benching him and not giving him another shot after fumbling, or not running the full route didn't help his confidence. IMO he needed to get more opportunities, not be "1 or 2 play gadget guy." Let him play through his mistakes. But it's water over the bridge and we'll see what a full off-season will do for him.

“The experiences he had here, he has to own them. That’s what he is,” Bengals offensive coordinator Bill Lazor said

Flip it.

The only thing the 2017 season proved is John Ross controls nothing. He didn't control who drafted him. He doesn't control how he's used. He doesn't even control if he's used at all. And how seriously am I supposed to take the deliberately vague criticism lobbed at Ross by an OC whose unit ranked dead last in the NFL? Ross may have been the hand picked choice of a since fired and departed coordinator but Lazor is entirely responsible for how he chose to use Ross. Lazor is responsible for using Ross like a backfield secret weapon rather than as the traditional downfield WR he was in college. And there's the rub because Lazor ignored/wasted an entire room full of young receiving talent. He's got more to prove than anybody.

The bottom line re: John Ross. I don't care if he was immature, stupid, didn't apply himself, didn't work hard enough in rehab, whatever....

It is the freaking responsibility of the organization to get production out of a first round pick that can run faster than everyone else. If you cannot convince a player that you have invested a high draft pick &/or a large contract in... then you are NOT doing your job as a coach.

This crap that Marvin spews about being a pro and blah, blah, blah... that is true when you are a borderline roster guy. You think the successful organizations don't have special circumstances for high draft picks, high dollar guys, or guys that have a specific skill set (like being able to run super fast)? Have someone constantly up their *ss if they aren't working hard enough. Have someone constantly grilling them about playbook if they aren't learning it. Have a specific set of 5 plays that he can run if all he can do is run lightning fast. Just DO NOT WASTE a complete season. It drives me absolutely crazy b/c I don't think based on his tape that is just a 1 trick pony of running fast either.

Quote Originally Posted by cullen bohannon View Post
    the bottom line re: John ross. I don't care if he was immature, stupid, didn't apply himself, didn't work hard enough in rehab, whatever....

It is the freaking responsibility of the organization to get production out of a first round pick that can run faster than everyone else. If you cannot convince a player that you have invested a high draft pick &/or a large contract in... Then you are not doing your job as a coach.

This crap that marvin spews about being a pro and blah, blah, blah... That is true when you are a borderline roster guy. You think the successful organizations don't have special circumstances for high draft picks, high dollar guys, or guys that have a specific skill set (like being able to run super fast)? Have someone constantly up their *ss if they aren't working hard enough. Have someone constantly grilling them about playbook if they aren't learning it. Have a specific set of 5 plays that he can run if all he can do is run lightning fast. Just do not waste a complete season. It drives me absolutely crazy b/c i don't think based on his tape that is just a 1 trick pony of running fast either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cullen Bohannon View Post
    The bottom line re: John Ross. I don't care if he was immature, stupid, didn't apply himself, didn't work hard enough in rehab, whatever.....
    If I'm John Ross I wouldn't say a word to anyone, but secretly I'm pissed to be a Bengal. Pissed to be on a team that fired their OC three games into the season. Pissed to be on a team who seemingly hired the paperboy to be the replacement OC and who then ignored every young WR on the team. Pissed to be on a team with a WR coach who can't get anyone ready to play who wasn't already an established veteran like Green and LaFell. Pissed to have a head coach who would rather mock his own player in the press than give an honest answer to dozens of direct questions. Pissed to be playing for a team that didn't properly scout me as a player or as a person.

Can I get a...Who Dey?

10. So according to you, the young man gets a free pass? No personal responsibility to become the best player he can be? No personal accountability to learn the playbook, work with with Dalton, learn from the vets?

Must be everyone else's fault...