Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lazor's new staff could bring some big changes

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    What's that you say?

You're willing to count on John Ross but not Tyler Eifert?
    I don't think anyone would franchise tag Ross now either

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post
    I don't think anyone would franchise tag Ross now either
    Franchise tag? No, but some of you are willing to count on Ross next season even though his level of production was the same as a dead guy. Worse than Eifert even, and I hear that guy can't even walk.

What's that you say?

You're willing to count on John Ross but not Tyler Eifert?
    For one Ross has had "nagging" injuries that are not nearly as serious as spinal surgery. For another we have other young WRs to develop, and lastly, AJ is our main guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    For one Ross has had "nagging" injuries that are not nearly as serious as spinal surgery. For another we have other young WRs to develop, and lastly, AJ is our main guy.
    So a smaller slightly built wideout with a history of injury suffers a series of "nagging" injuries that wipe out entire rookie season. Sounds serious enough.

So what makes you think 2018 will be different? Hope and prayers?

And AJ isn't just our main guy. Without Eifert to help he's the only guy. And that's true in large measure because Ross failed so utterly and totally. Had he not maybe I wouldn't be so reluctant to kick Dalton's All-Pro safety blanket off the roster. Especially if all I have to do is agree to overpay for a year.

Obviously, I wouldn't consider the tag if Eifert can't pass a physical. But assuming he can I'd happily overpay. Best, the restrictive tag dictates a 1-year deal and that's exactly what I'd want.

Probably not worth it's own thread but I just finished watching the East/West Shrine game. The Bengals coaching staff was well represented, including Jonathan Hayes as head coach of the East squad. Several other Bengal coaches/staff on both squads.

Lots of mid round guys in this game. No doubt the Bengals got a great close look and a chance to actually work with some.

I don’t have a lot of faith in Ross, but I wouldn’t give up on him yet, either... especially on a rookie contract.

I wouldn’t touch Eifert with a franchise tag. Bad backs are the death of tall guys under the kindest of pro activities. A bad back on a dude who go across the middle is a special Hell... and Eifert's back is effing forked.

So a smaller slightly built wideout with a history of injury suffers a series of "nagging" injuries that wipe out entire rookie season. Sounds serious enough.

So what makes you think 2018 will be different? Hope and prayers?

And AJ isn't just our main guy. Without Eifert to help he's the only guy. And that's true in large measure because Ross failed so utterly and totally. Had he not maybe I wouldn't be so reluctant to kick Dalton's All-Pro safety blanket off the roster. Especially if all I have to do is agree to overpay for a year.

Obviously, I wouldn't consider the tag if Eifert can't pass a physical. But assuming he can I'd happily overpay. Best, the restrictive tag dictates a 1-year deal and that's exactly what I'd want.
    Note also in my End of Year post I said we don't have a reliable #2 at this point, and I wanted to bring in a free agent upgrade to Lafell.

Need: IMO, as of now we do not have a true #2 WR. Plenty of candidates but no one proven that is "exciting". I could see them looking at a free agent upgrade to LaFell as insurance but unless it's a BPA pick I don't think they draft one.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    I don’t have a lot of faith in Ross, but I wouldn’t give up on him yet, either... especially on a rookie contract.

I wouldn’t touch Eifert with a franchise tag. Bad backs are the death of tall guys under the kindest of pro activities. A bad back on a dude who go across the middle is a special Hell... and Eifert's back is effing forked.

Without his rookie contract Ross probably doesn't have a roster spot today. But precisely because Ross is guaranteed a roster spot he's also guaranteed a second chance, deserved or not. Ironically, one of the few proven weapons in the Bengals last place offense, Tyler Eifert, probably won't get a roster spot simply because he lacks a contract. And I say simply because the tag eliminates contract length from the negotiations for a new contract. And that's ideal.

As for his back being forked....the Bengals know his health better than anyone and Marvin says they want him back. All that's left to be decided is the price.

Probably not worth it's own thread but I just finished watching the East/West Shrine game. The Bengals coaching staff was well represented, including Jonathan Hayes as head coach of the East squad. Several other Bengal coaches/staff on both squads.

Lots of mid round guys in this game. No doubt the Bengals got a great close look and a chance to actually work with some.
    I haven't watched yet but yeah, I saw that Hayes was the HC and several other Bengal assistants - like Marvin's son and a few others - are there. That's great.

One guy Hobs mentioned in his article that's there re: E-W game - and I believe he earned a trip to the Sr. Bowl as well - is Poona Ford of Texas. He's an under-sized (short, likely under 6') nose tackle/DT. Really interesting player. Smart, made a big impact - was the Big 12 D-lineman of the year last year. Could be a really nice complement/wave guy for Geno. I don't think he's a top 100 type necessarily but he's gonna get drafted - or should - and I think he's going to be a solid player.

Put me in the crowd that thinks tagging Eifert is a good idea. Brings big time mismatch ability. Just a short-term commitment. If it works out, you are looking at a guy who scores probably double digit touchdowns for a team that has been terrible in close games the past two years. If it doesn't work out, its just cap that isn't rolled over into the next year that it seems like we continuously roll over. I'd take that risk and I'd also try to work out a modest deal with some incentives like they did with Tez.