Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lazor's new staff could bring some big changes

If I thought there was a 51% chance Eifert would play 12 games I wouldn’t have a problem with tagging him. But honestly I think it’s closer to 20%.

The back problems are a legit concern, but I think its unfair to judge him on year 2 and that arm injury. That was about as flukey as it gets. If tagging him meant it would prevent a deal with Geno and/or Carlos (which is a pretty fair argument), I would understand, but this team routinely rolls money over. I'd take a shot on a mismatch like Eifert turning a few field goals into touchdowns.

My hot take prediction though is Dallas. Witten is getting older and they need some playmakers that can catch the football. Zach Martin is also married to Tyler's sister and they've got Alexander there now. It won't take a huge deal.

Deleted - bumped wrong thread...
    Last edited by membengal; 01-25-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whodeyjc View Post
    The back problems are a legit concern, but I think its unfair to judge him on year 2 and that arm injury. That was about as flukey as it gets. If tagging him meant it would prevent a deal with Geno and/or Carlos (which is a pretty fair argument), I would understand, but this team routinely rolls money over. I'd take a shot on a mismatch like Eifert turning a few field goals into touchdowns.

My hot take prediction though is Dallas. Witten is getting older and they need some playmakers that can catch the football. Zach Martin is also married to Tyler's sister and they've got Alexander there now. It won't take a huge deal.
    Yes, good thoughts re: Eifert. I'd like him to stay but guessing he'll get more $ elsewhere and Dallas needs receiving help.

Sometimes I get confused. Are the Bengals letting Eifert go in free agency because he's a cripple who can't walk OR because he's a young Pro Bowl TE whose contract they can't afford?

Tag him and it no longer matters what he can get on the open market.

Does it have to be that black and white? It's a mixture of both. Too much risk associated with the reward is what I imagine it will inevitably come down to. I would tag him and try to work something out with someone who will obviously want some long term security and use that as leverage in negotiations. If he has another injury-plagued year, he is looking at vet minimum until he can string together a full season or two.

If he reaches the open market, and I'm guessing he will (Jim O. has mentioned that his agent has said he will play the market), another team will most definitely give him more money on paper even though the Bengals usually always pay out their contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by whodeyjc View Post
    Does it have to be that black and white? It's a mixture of both. Too much risk associated with the reward is what I imagine it will inevitably come down to.
    Well, let's try to define the risk because IMO there's often a very high price to be paid for doing nothing....or not enough.

Tag Eifert and then watch him succumb to injury yet again and the team is out exactly what? A few million dollars they normally wouldn't spend at all. But what would the cost be if the Bengals let him go under easily preventable circumstances and watch as he revives his career elsewhere? What's the cost of potentially letting a proven receiving weapon walk away from THIS offense? And how does letting Eifert leave without a fight jibe with the teams oft spoken offseason goal of getting Andy Dalton to play beyond his limitations?

I'm definitely with you on this subject. I don't think it makes sense to not use, especially with a relatively low cap number for an absolute gamechanger. I would understand them not tagging Eifert, though.

Guessing the tag will be above $10 million as it was $9.8 last year. Lowest priced tag next to punter/kicker.

I confess to simply being tired of them counting on a guy who can't get on the field. And the previous offensive coaching staff having no Plan B (which is still the holdover staff in Lazor's case) in case of his inevitable absence. Feels like it would be better to know you won't have him than to have him and even though he likely will be hurt, act like he won't be. If he isn't here, they will be forced to figure things out without acting like they will have him.
    Last edited by membengal; 01-25-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I confess to simply being tired of them counting on a guy who can't get on the field. And the previous offensive coaching staff having no Plan B (which is still the holdover staff in Lazor's case) in case of his inevitable absence. Feels like it would be better to know you won't have him than to have him and even though he likely will be hurt, act like he won't be. If he isn't here, they will be forced to figure things out without acting like they will have him.
    At this point it would be more surprising if he played 12 games then if he didn't. That's not a guy you build into your roster planning. If he is close to free maybe. Franchise tag is just illogical. That keeps you from doing so much.