Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lazor's new staff could bring some big changes

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Feels like it would be better to know you won't have him than to have him and even though he likely will be hurt, act like he won't be. If he isn't here, they will be forced to figure things out without acting like they will have him.
    There's nothing to figure out. Let the physical dictate what you do. If Eifert can pass a physical it's a good bet he'll have plenty of interest from other teams. Interest that is likely to drive up his price to near tag levels regardless. Shut it all down at the start by tagging him. There's no reason not to if he can pass a physical...and the Bengals will know sooner than anyone if he can. Best, under the circumstances you don't want to negotiate a multi-year deal. The tag gives you everything you want contractually with the obvious exception of value.

Well who cares about value?

This franchise needs to stop making perfectly logical and smart financial decisions that hurt the actual team.

I guess I believe he can pass a physical and still be more likely than not to be absent for 8 or more games again in 2018. I wouldn't go down that road, as much as I love the idea of a healthy Eifert. I would, in a perfect world, actually spend that cash elsewhere and design the offense without hoping for Eifert health. Just my view, clearly this is a ymmv situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post
    If he is close to free maybe. Franchise tag is just illogical.
    You think the idea of Eifert playing for free is logical?

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post
    At this point it would be more surprising if he played 12 games then if he didn't. That's not a guy you build into your roster planning. If he is close to free maybe. Franchise tag is just illogical. That keeps you from doing so much.
    100%

The Bengals probably wouldn't do it, but how about a slightly higher than minimum base contract with escalators for games played. If he manages to play 13 games he gets a bonus that equals a franchise tag.

I figured that the Bengals will have between $20-25M to spend in FA if they make some cuts (Pacman, MJ) and keep a few obvious guys for cheap (Huber, Smith, etc.).

With that, they would probably like to use a bit for Geno/Dunlap extensions and the rest should be ticketed for FA.

Tight end franchise tag is going to be right around $10M. Spending half the FA budget on Eifert isn't a terrible idea but I would probably prefer they use it to go after a couple OL instead.

Also worth noting that it's a pretty good/deep tight end draft that should have good options into the 3rd round. Adding a talented rookie to go along with Kroft, Uzomah and Hewitt isn't a bad plan.

I'm not sure you are going to find a guy who makes more of an impact for that money on the free agent market. More reliable? Absolutely. Bigger threat to score touchdowns? Not likely. Red zone scoring has dropped by over 10% from the 65% success rate we saw in 2015. I'd be willing to take one more shot he can keep it together like his rookie season and 3rd year.

Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    I figured that the Bengals will have between $20-25M to spend in FA if they make some cuts (Pacman, MJ) and keep a few obvious guys for cheap (Huber, Smith, etc.).

With that, they would probably like to use a bit for Geno/Dunlap extensions and the rest should be ticketed for FA.

Tight end franchise tag is going to be right around $10M. Spending half the FA budget on Eifert isn't a terrible idea but I would probably prefer they use it to go after a couple OL instead.

Also worth noting that it's a pretty good/deep tight end draft that should have good options into the 3rd round. Adding a talented rookie to go along with Kroft, Uzomah and Hewitt isn't a bad plan.

1-Cutting Pac and MJ saves 11 million that could be put towards FA. So who amongst us really thinks the Bengals will actually cut either player?

2-Which seems more likely? The Bengals can use half of their projected FA budget on keeping their own young Pro Bowl TE or try to sign a couple of FA offensive lineman from the open market.

3-The Bengals currently don't have a legit #2WR and under the above scenario wouldn't have Eifert at TE. However, they could compensate for losing Eifert by drafting a new TE who should be able to contribute....by mid season 2019. Until then they can rely on savvy veteran Brandon LaFell and speedster John Ross to help out AJ Green in Bengals exciting 32nd ranked Lazor Ball passing attack.

What could go wrong?

1. They aren't doing anything in FA that a Franchise Tag would prohibit. Evidence? They are the Bengals, come on we know this.
    2. If they claim they can't tag Eifert because they want to extend Geno and Carlos...but are still paying MJ and Jones? Well we are suckers then because that's terrible management.
    3. Eifert is an asset, not one that should prevent you from drafting a replacement, but one who can be the difference in 2-4 games (even if he only plays 9) and that's enough to get this roster to the playoffs. There is no reason to ditch an asset when you can keep it with, for all intents and purposes, no financial downside.

The Bengals can sign everyone they intended to, and possible 1-2 guys we want them to, while tagging Eifert. All it takes is a single season outside their comfort zoen (i.e. not rolling 10 mil into next year). If they don't tag him, they are choosing to field a shlttier roster in an effort to save a few bucks....no two ways about it.