Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 Round Mock Draft w/Comp Picks

7 Round Mock Draft w/Comp Picks

Kiper did a mock draft. So did McShay.

I say I get better weed than those guys. Here's proof.

Notes: I used Ourlad's big board and CincyJungles recent guesstimate of comp picks.

I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could adequately address the offensive line if BPA at another position was drafted instead. Also wanted to take first peek at backup QB prospects.

1 - DE - Arden Key- Welcome to Sack-cinnnati. The best pure pass rusher in this draft and last years too. Without the baggage he's Top5 in any draft. Let MJ go and use the savings in FA. Replace and upgrade with Key. Without risk there is no reward.

2 - ORT - Tyrell Crosby- Started at OLT this season and didn't allow a sack or pressure. 6'5" 320 pound road grader in the run game. Has 2 years starting experience at ORT. That's his new home in stripes.

3 - QB - Mike White - Good measurable.

3 COMP - OLT - Brandon Parker - Rare 4 year starter at OLT. Never allowed a sack. Tall, lean, and long.

4 - ILB - Micah Kiser.

5 - CB - Holton Hall - A bigger CB to challenge Shaw.

5- COMP - OG - Taylor Hearn - I waited too late to get a OC but I think the Bengals could use a body at ORG

6 - OT - Desmond Harrison - Ex-Longhorn booted after failed drug test. 6'8, 310

7 - PK - Michael Badgely - Someone to keep things interesting.
    Last edited by HOF; 01-20-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Where is the Ourlads big board? I see their positional rankings and their top 36, but not a complete board.

Did we lose our regular 3rd?

Quote Originally Posted by JBandJoeyV View Post
    Did we lose our regular 3rd?
    Great catch. I screwed up transcribing from notes. The QB pick should have been a 3rd rounder and I left out the 4th rounder altogether. (ILB Micah Kizer.)

I edited the original post to show the changes.

FWIW I wasn't 100% certain about the number of picks they have in the 7th round. One or two?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    Where is the Ourlads big board? I see their positional rankings and their top 36, but not a complete board.
    Sorry, to clarify...I also used NFLDraftScout. I like their block rankings. Ourlad's keeps promising a big board, but they were late last year too.

Thoughts?

I wanted to see what Arden Key in the 1st round might look like but your Broken record Oline rant was in my head throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Sorry, to clarify...I also used NFLDraftScout. I like their block rankings. Ourlad's keeps promising a big board, but they were late last year too.

Thoughts?

I wanted to see what Arden Key in the 1st round might look like but your Broken record Oline rant was in my head throughout.
    What is Arden Key's "baggage"? It's serious enough that Daniel Jeremiah had him at 32. If there is someone on the board at 12 that is clearly better than any of the available tackles I'd be ok with it, but is that guy Key?

I do think we need 2 OTs. I'm not familiar with the 2 guys you took, but I like the write-ups on Walterfotball. But I don't know if Parker would be ready to start right away based on what I read, so I hope someone steps up for a year.

I'd like it more with a center.

What is Arden Key's "baggage"? It's serious enough that Daniel Jeremiah had him at 32. If there is someone on the board at 12 that is clearly better than any of the available tackles I'd be ok with it, but is that guy Key?
    Baggage? Well, it's complicated, apparently. The explanation that made the most sense to me comes from his father, an obviously biased source. But the sort vesrsion is Key wanted desperately to come out last year but wasn't eligible. According to the father Key was told by many that he was better than Myles Garrett and could have been the #1 overall pick. Worst case scenario he falls a spot or two and goes Top5. Fast forward to this season and Key starts slow due to injuries. Specifically, a shoulder injury that has bugged him for years and a recent hand injury. Key's father claims his son agreed to have multiple surgical procedures, not with an eye towards returning this season, but because he's already focused on the coming draft. They want to get any medical concerns cleared up before the season ends. And that's where things get weird. By all accounts Key approaches his head coach and requests he be allowed to leave the team. The head coach refuses...yet Key leaves anyway. He returns several weeks later looking overweight and sluggish. Quickly plays himself back into shape and begins to look like the player he was, but the coaching staff shuts him down before a much anticipated match up with Mike McGlinchey in a bowl game. The end result is Key finishes an injury plagued season with almost no draft momentum and with the black mark of having left the team without permission.

I do think we need 2 OTs. I'm not familiar with the 2 guys you took, but I like the write-ups on Walterfotball. But I don't know if Parker would be ready to start right away based on what I read, so I hope someone steps up for a year.

I'd like it more with a center.

Two things. I felt like I missed my last chance to get a center when I went for a backup QB in round 3. That's an easy fix if the team signs a veteran to be the backup or if it waits a round or two in the draft. I ignored the McCooter factor in this draft but it should be noted the Bengals could easily have another pick to work with.

As for Parker not being able to start at LT right away? I assumed Ogbuehi would start the season at LT regardless of who was selected. So I picked3rd rounder Parker and 6th rounder Harrison with 2019 in mind. Add the 5th round ORG to the haul and I thought I addressed the Oline rather heavily. Tyrell Crosby should be able to start at ORT almost immediately.

If there is someone on the board at 12 that is clearly better than any of the available tackles I'd be ok with it, but is that guy Key?.
    Honestly, for the sake of argument Key himself isn't that important. I can easily shift my Sack-cinnati rant from Arden Key to Marcus Davenport and quickly avoid all of the questions about baggage.

The bigger point of the mock was to ask which prospect really is BPA at #12. AND to look at some of the 2nd and 3rd round OL prospects who might be available if the Bengals draft BPA instead of by position of greatest need. And to consider the comp picks they're projected to get

I honestly think Arden Key deserves to be in any BPA at #12 debate, but he wouldn't be the only name. Plenty of guys could fall. And if they did should the team just pass on them all to call out the name of the next available OT prospect? What if they waited a round?

Just a few moments ago I was just reading a Dallas Cowboy related draft article that quotes Dane Brugler about how teams drafting in the Top20 should never draft by position, but rather for impact regardless of position. If true, what does the short list at #12 look like?

If we can get Weston Richburg in FA and feel good about getting extensions done with Dunlap and Atkins, it would open up the draft quite a bit.

We'd still need a couple OT prospects but it sounds like the draft is deep enough that we could grab good ones in rounds 2 and 3, which would open up round 1 for BPA.

I could see Round 1 BPA being one of the DEs like Key or Davenport, a Safety like Derwin James, DT Vita Vea or maybe even an OG like Quentin Nelson if he is there.