Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 180

Thread: 2018 Draft Talk

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by happyrid View Post
    I wouldn't mind giving Boling a shot at LT. He seemed solid there the last two weeks. Having a LG like Nelson next to him would make that transition a whole lot easier I'd think.
    Why not give Nelson a try at OLT? He might have to lose 10lbs but he was recruited as a OT and only shifted inside to get on the field earlier. He started all 12 games at OLT in 2016. No sacks or hurries allowed. Moved back inside because the Irish wanted to create a spot for a freshman to play ORT. McGlinchey shifted from the right to the left and Nelson bumped inside.

  2. The difference in the OL play the last couple of weeks was a huge improvement from what we saw throughout the season. Obviously everything hinges on what happens in FA, (if anything), and the draft but I have no problem with Boling at LT next season.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    Not sure what to think about the OL performance at the end of last year, and what it means going forward. Yes, it was better but I don't know that it means a ton. I was encouraged by the G play, and Boling looked pretty solid at LT.

    I did find Pollack's interview and the accompanying article on Bengals.com interesting. The three things he noted that are important to OL success were smarts, nastiness/toughness, and athleticism. He indicated that coming out of A&M he was impressed by Ced's athleticism but I didn't get the sense that he was impressed with him otherwise... basically saying he's starting fresh - but I don't consider smarts and toughness to be his assets. Athleticism, yes.

    OTOH, Bodine is smart - I mean, he started at C as a rookie and had to make like calls, etc. and he's a tough guy... just not much of an athlete. Pollack did mention that through film study, he liked watching him play... as well as Redmond and Westerman, although he did mention that they have a lot of technical stuff to clean up. I found that to be encouraging, that he's got some work to do with them, but that one or both might pan out. He also didn't mention Hopkins or Smith, for whatever that's worth.

    I also thought his comment on Boling at LT - again, just my thoughts - was that the show of versatility was impressive/great to know he can play it in a pinch - but it's not his best spot.



    Meet the Coaches: Frank Pollack


  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    Not sure what to think about the OL performance at the end of last year, and what it means going forward. Yes, it was better but I don't know that it means a ton. I was encouraged by the G play, and Boling looked pretty solid at LT.

    I did find Pollack's interview and the accompanying article on Bengals.com interesting. The three things he noted that are important to OL success were smarts, nastiness/toughness, and athleticism. He indicated that coming out of A&M he was impressed by Ced's athleticism but I didn't get the sense that he was impressed with him otherwise... basically saying he's starting fresh - but I don't consider smarts and toughness to be his assets. Athleticism, yes.

    OTOH, Bodine is smart - I mean, he started at C as a rookie and had to make like calls, etc. and he's a tough guy... just not much of an athlete. Pollack did mention that through film study, he liked watching him play... as well as Redmond and Westerman, although he did mention that they have a lot of technical stuff to clean up. I found that to be encouraging, that he's got some work to do with them, but that one or both might pan out. He also didn't mention Hopkins or Smith, for whatever that's worth.

    I also thought his comment on Boling at LT - again, just my thoughts - was that the show of versatility was impressive/great to know he can play it in a pinch - but it's not his best spot.


    Meet the Coaches: Frank Pollack




    Frank Pollack isn’t going to anoint his nine players just yet. But he is letting it be known that he wants them to have a nasty streak as long as, well, the Bengals offensive line.

    “You can’t go out there and be soft,” Pollack said last week as he ended his first month as the Bengals offensive line coach.

    “The D-lineman is going to rip your throat out. You better rip theirs out before they rip yours out. He’s got to have a little nasty streak in him. No question. It’s football. It’s not for everyone.”

    In his first video interview on Bengals.com with Voice of the Bengals Dan Hoard, Pollack talks about the first impressions of his players off the video and what he’s looking for in the draft.

    While it’s too early to get a read on how the Bengals are going to line up in the spring, he is intrigued by the athleticism of the incumbent tackles, Cedric Ogbuehi on the left and Jake Fisheron the right. Although Tyron Smith, Pollack’s Pro Bowl left tackle in Dallas, is about 15 pounds heavier than Ogbuehi, it’s going to be interesting to see if Pollack uses the same attacking style with Ogbuehi that he used with Smith.

    If there’s one word that keeps coming up with Pollack, an eight-year veteran of the NFL in the 1990s, it is “aggressive.” It’s also, “smart.” And he’s got eight Pro Bowl selections and All-Pro berths from the last three seasons in Dallas as proof when he was leading the Cowboys offensive line to back-to-back No. 2 run rankings in the NFL.

    “You have to be smart enough to learn. You have to be a smart enough guy to adjust,” Pollack told Hoard. “You have to be a smart enough guy (when) he’s on the field by himself to figure out some things and adjustments on his own without me being next to him all the time. It’s hard playing this game. You have to have some nasty to you, some toughness. Mental toughness more than physical toughness.

    “I’ve told guys I’ve coached I’m not looking for five drunk frat guys to go out there and get in a bar fight out there. Those are a dime dozen. I look for guys to execute play in and play out and have the mental and physical toughness to do that and when the picture changes they don’t bat an eye and execute the next play. It’s hard to do. That’s why they get paid the big bucks and it’s why only a smidgeon of the world’s population can do it.”

    For Pollack, it seems to get back to toughness. Psychological or physical. Maybe that’s why center Russell Bodine has caught Pollack’s eye on film.

    Bodine, a four-year starter since the Bengals traded up to get him in the fourth round of the 2014 draft, heads into free agency after an up-and-down season like the rest of the line. But Pollack likes his nasty streak, as well as his interview of Bodine at the scouting combine the year he was drafted.

    He also noticed the aggressive mind-sets of Alex Redmond and Christian Westerman, guards in their second NFL seasons that played well in the final two games during their most extensive action as pros.

    “They’re fun to watch,” said Pollack after the video interview. “They play with that young, energetic buzz on the field. They’ve got a lot of stuff to clean up technically, but they’ve got some nasty in them. I enjoyed watching that.”

    Pollack also noted how left guard Clint Boling moved out to left tackle to replace the injured Ogbuehi in the last two games. It doesn’t sound like they’ll move Boling permanently, but his first two NFL starts out there showed the leadership of the most senior man on their line. The Bengals would like to re-sign right tackle Andre Smith, but before they do Boling’s eight seasons lead the group.

    “He obviously put it on tape that he can play it,” Pollack said. “I don’t know if that’s long term his best position, but he’s a guy that’s smart and has the ability to kind of move around the line where you need him, which is impressive.”


    http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...f-78d3f5dd0ce7

  5. #35
    Are you as sick as I am of mocks predicting the Bengals reach badly for an unworthy OLT propect?

    The Washington Post mock projects DT DaRon Payne to the Bengals at #12 claiming no OTs are worthy of consideration that early. Making matters worse they also predict LBs Edwards and Smith are both off the board.

  6. #36
    Kind of dicked ourselves with the dead-cat bounce, didn't we?

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    Charlie Casserly released his first mock today. He was us taking Quenton Nelson.
    He called him the best player in the draft.

    Also had McGlinchey as the first OT taken at #16. Billy Price to the Bills at 21. James Daniel taken only a few spots later at 25. Isaiah Wynn at 26. Connor Williams drops to the bottom of the round at 29. Love him or hate him Orlando Brown falls out of the first round altogether.

    Also noteworthy....Marcus Davenport taken 5th overall, but Charlie thinks he'll be more valuable as a 3-4 OLB. Arden Key 18th.

  8. #38
    Not sure what to think about the OL performance at the end of last year, and what it means going forward. Yes, it was better but I don't know that it means a ton. I was encouraged by the G play, and Boling looked pretty solid at LT.

    I did find Pollack's interview and the accompanying article on Bengals.com interesting. The three things he noted that are important to OL success were smarts, nastiness/toughness, and athleticism. He indicated that coming out of A&M he was impressed by Ced's athleticism but I didn't get the sense that he was impressed with him otherwise... basically saying he's starting fresh - but I don't consider smarts and toughness to be his assets. Athleticism, yes.

    OTOH, Bodine is smart - I mean, he started at C as a rookie and had to make like calls, etc. and he's a tough guy... just not much of an athlete. Pollack did mention that through film study, he liked watching him play... as well as Redmond and Westerman, although he did mention that they have a lot of technical stuff to clean up. I found that to be encouraging, that he's got some work to do with them, but that one or both might pan out. He also didn't mention Hopkins or Smith, for whatever that's worth.

    I also thought his comment on Boling at LT - again, just my thoughts - was that the show of versatility was impressive/great to know he can play it in a pinch - but it's not his best spot.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    He called him the best player in the draft.

    Also had McGlinchey as the first OT taken at #16. Billy Price to the Bills at 21. James Daniel taken only a few spots later at 25. Isaiah Wynn at 26. Connor Williams drops to the bottom of the round at 29. Love him or hate him Orlando Brown falls out of the first round altogether.

    Also noteworthy....Marcus Davenport taken 5th overall, but Charlie thinks he'll be more valuable as a 3-4 OLB. Arden Key 18th.
    Interesting, thanks. After the combine at the end of this month and early March, NFL Network has the daily Path to the Draft show - Casserly, Brooks, Jeremiah, and others are on there regularly.

    It'd be great to get Nelson there but I don't see it happening... but people didn't see DeCastro going later and he did... comes down to team need and position value, which could help the Bengals. 'Course, do they value Nelson at 12 if he were there? Certainly Pollack would - Zack Martin fell to the Cowboys in the late teens, and he's been one of, if not the best G in the league.

    Re: Key, the "key" will be the rumored off-field stuff and injury history. I've also heard from some pundits who say he's soft and he'll quit on you. Who knows.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    'Course, do they value Nelson at 12 if he were there? Certainly Pollack would -
    If the best player in the draft somehow falls to #12 isn't it reasonable to assume that any needed devaluation due to the position played has already occurred? The actual value of getting the best player in the draft at #12 would be staggering.

    As for Key, I find it interesting to see him still being viewed as a Top20 player despite al of the concerns you point to. Unless Key butchers his interviews during the combine this is likely to be the low point of how he'll be valued. Furthermore, if I had to guess which prospects are most likely to blow up the combine during drills the very first name I'd toss out would be Arden Key....so if he handles his interviews well I would expect a steady rise in his status the closer we get to draft day.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •