Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2018 Draft Talk

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    If the best player in the draft somehow falls to #12 isn't it reasonable to assume that any needed devaluation due to the position played has already occurred? The actual value of getting the best player in the draft at #12 would be staggering.

As for Key, I find it interesting to see him still being viewed as a Top20 player despite al of the concerns you point to. Unless Key butchers his interviews during the combine this is likely to be the low point of how he'll be valued. Furthermore, if I had to guess which prospects are most likely to blow up the combine during drills the very first name I'd toss out would be Arden Key....so if he handles his interviews well I would expect a steady rise in his status the closer we get to draft day.
    Fair point about if Nelson were available at #12 and if (assuming) he's very high on their board. Having a guy like that for 4-5 years, even if they let him go after that, would still be significant.

Still not sure what happens with Key. He'd put on some weight and he wasn't the same guy, but then he lost 10 pounds or so and was a more dominant player.

Personally, I think Derwin James will be the star of the show in a few weeks - really elite athlete. Same with Saquon Barkley... he set all kinds of records at Penn State. His change of direction is really something, freakish strength and speed.

Also read that an NC State DL not named Bradley Chubb is going to turn heads - Kentavius Street, the "other" DE.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    Fair point about if Nelson were available at #12 and if (assuming) he's very high on their board. Having a guy like that for 4-5 years, even if they let him go after that, would still be significant.
    Again, if Nelson falls to #12 the devaluation has already occurred. Because obviously the only way they'd get the chance to draft the best player in the draft at #12 is because he plays OG...thereby prompting other teams to pass on him in favor of more highly coveted positions. Thus, the devaluation is already baked in. The Bengals could happily pull the trigger at #12 and feel great about getting the undisputed BPA. And when coupled with the unworthy options available at OLT I think Nelson becomes an absolute no brainer pick....so good that the only thing I have yet to be convinced of is that he'll be available at all. And on that point Casserly seems to be implying Nelson draft floor is #12. Myself, I think it's about 4 spots higher.

As for Key...I think the interviews will be critical for him for obvious reasons, but also because he's got enough great tape to ease most concerns about his pass rushing prowess. In fact, I recently read a scouting report that absolutely gushed about Key's performance late this season against Alabama....calling him the best player on either roster in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    Also read that an NC State DL not named Bradley Chubb is going to turn heads - Kentavius Street, the "other" DE.
    Don't forget DT BJ Hill. He had as good a week in Mobile as anyone.

NC State and tOSU had the 2 best D-lines in the nation. And the good ones from NC are draft eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    NC State and tOSU had the 2 best D-lines in the nation. And the good ones from NC are draft eligible.

I really like Sam Hubbard a lot. Makes a lot of plays. I know OSU has others but he stands out to me.

NC State was stacked for sure... reminded me of when they had Super Mario, Manny Lawson and Stephen Tulloch, among others.