Thread: Free Agency, Cuts, Targets

Come home AJ.

Jets close to a deal for Bridgewater.

Brent Celec cut

Chris Smith to Browns

Wow Jordy Nelson cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post
    Chris Smith to Browns
    Probably means they'll cut either Carl Nassib or Nate Orchard.

We could do worse and probably will.

Edit - 3 year deal/14m
    Last edited by HOF; 03-13-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalbro View Post
    Chris Smith to Browns
    3 for $14 is a lot for Smith, but good for him. He was productive when he played.

I'm guessing the Bengals are keeping MJ for now but if they go DL in the draft, that could change.

Dunlap, Atkins, Willis, Lawson, Baker, Glasgow, Billings, Draft pick, MJ?

I'm probably missing someone.

Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    3 for $14 is a lot for Smith, but good for him. He was productive when he played.

I'm guessing the Bengals are keeping MJ for now but if they go DL in the draft, that could change.
    MJ is proof the Bengals still believe that barely good enough is still good enough, even at a premium position. As for Smith, I'll never understand why this team bothers to sign players to 1-year "prove it" contracts and then let them leave after they "prove it"

That said, I'm happy for Smith. He turned his audition into a bigger much deserved payday.

Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    MJ is proof the Bengals still believe that barely good enough is still good enough, even at a premium position. As for Smith, I'll never understand why this team bothers to sign players to 1-year "prove it" contracts and then let them leave after they "prove it"

That said, I'm happy for Smith. He turned his audition into a bigger much deserved payday.
    Right - I get it. Smith seemed like an ascending player and a good guy as well. Younger... and as it turns out, I believe he'd have been cheaper than MJ for this year.

Maybe they felt like with Willis and Lawson needing to play more, there wasn't as much room for Smith. I don't agree but I'm speculating. Smith and Huber, along with Eifert, were the 3 guys I wanted back the most. And Andre Smith would be nice as depth since you have Ced and Fisher as your tackles/depth - along with the Texas kid, Perkins - who may have something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    Come home AJ.
    Could happen. Between getting busted on draft day and now this, he’s eating some humble pie so maybe he’ll need to go somewhere on a 1-year deal and go back to the market in 2019.

Didn’t help that there are at least 4 first rounders in addition to a lot of capable free agent QBs like Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford, Cousins... plus guys like Taylor and Jimmy G getting traded to QB-needy teams.