Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Bengals shoot down Vontaze Burfict trade rumors, support oft-suspended linebacker

  1. #11
    Josey Jewel just sounds like a character in an Archie comic book. A FEMALE character at that.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    IMO, that change of direction coupled with his demonstrated instincts shows you why those two traits are among the most important for LBs, and why Jewell was so productive and dependable.
    I watched a draft related show called...Defenders or Pretenders...yesterday that attempted to identify the best 2nd tier LB prospects. Commentators included Houston Nutt, Randy Cross, James Jones. Jewell was heavily featured due to his instincts. They described him as a player type who you know what you're getting if drafting. Perhaps he doesn't have the upside of some others but is plenty good to get the job done. Of note, the next guy mentioned was Malik Jefferson, a guy with all the athleticism in the world but said to have poor instincts. Well, Nutt wasn't having it and loudly defended Jefferson by pointing out how often Texas changed it's defensive scheme in the last couple of seasons. Claimed a team drafting Jefferson would be getting a LB capable of making plays from sideline to sideline.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NC View Post
    Josey Jewel just sounds like a character in an Archie comic book. A FEMALE character at that.
    Supposedly his pops named him that because he was a big “Outlaw Josey Wales” fan.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    I watched a draft related show called...Defenders or Pretenders...yesterday that attempted to identify the best 2nd tier LB prospects. Commentators included Houston Nutt, Randy Cross, James Jones. Jewell was heavily featured due to his instincts. They described him as a player type who you know what you're getting if drafting. Perhaps he doesn't have the upside of some others but is plenty good to get the job done. Of note, the next guy mentioned was Malik Jefferson, a guy with all the athleticism in the world but said to have poor instincts. Well, Nutt wasn't having it and loudly defended Jefferson by pointing out how often Texas changed it's defensive scheme in the last couple of seasons. Claimed a team drafting Jefferson would be getting a LB capable of making plays from sideline to sideline.
    No question Jefferson is physically capable; he’s a fantastic athlete. Texas did have some turnover with DCs but Poona Ford was on that defense and he tore it up. Not the same position, but Jefferson could have been a total stud and he just wasn’t. I still think he could be a really good player but if I were choosing between the two, I’d take Jewell. I remember reading that Haslet was at the UT Pro Day so no doubt they are doing their homework on Jefferson.

  5. #15
    While we are talking about LBs with amazing 3 cone times, and who is sure to be on our list (has the prerequisite character concerns) is Matthew Thomas, of Florida.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by texbengal View Post
    No question Jefferson is physically capable; he’s a fantastic athlete. Texas did have some turnover with DCs but Poona Ford was on that defense and he tore it up. Not the same position, but Jefferson could have been a total stud and he just wasn’t. I still think he could be a really good player but if I were choosing between the two, I’d take Jewell. I remember reading that Haslet was at the UT Pro Day so no doubt they are doing their homework on Jefferson.
    To be clear...I'm not saying you're wrong. Jefferson's instincts are called into question everywhere, including earlier on the show by others. Just thought it was interesting how strongly Nutt defended Jefferson. Claimed his development was badly hurt by scheme changes and from being shifted from a traditional MLB role he thrived in early on to a more aggressive Rover role that didn't match his skill set. Said he's better moving laterally than forward. Thinks he'll do very well if he's drafted by an NFL team that shifts him back to the middle and has a defensive line that can keep blockers off him.

    They also had some interesting things to say about the next tier of LBs. Micah Kiser and Darius Leonard. Kiser is more of a thumper, Leonard more of a coverage guy. Nutt described Leonard as a poor mans Derwin James, a hybrid LB/S.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •