Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Bust of All-Time?

Blog Entries

Unhappy Biggest Bust of All-Time?

We know that JaMarcus Russell didn't live up to the hype in Oakland and that he never really got a fair shot with the rotating coaches in Oakland.

With that said and the recent arrest on the cough syrup found in his Alabama home, Is JaMarcus the biggest bust in NFL history?

I say yes because the Raiders had an opportunity to make him a star and to use him in inventive ways if they tutored him and helped him get a more suitable body. However, after all the millions of dollars and after all of the reporters around the NFL saying JaMarcus didn't put in the time nor effort to be the franchise quarterback, it appears JaMarcus was destined to fail.
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

Blog Entries
    I might be inclined to agree, but I'm going to wait a bit longer before I commit. The reason I say that is because, in theory, his career could still be saved. Before JaMarcus came along, Ryan Leaf was undeniably the biggest bust of all time. He left the NFL after about 5 seasons. JaMarcus has only been around for 3, and there's no indication that he's completely leaving the scene...at least, not yet. If he calls it quits now or even later in the upcoming season, I will definitely crown him King of the Busts. For the moment, we can only point and laugh at his current ineptitude.

I think Ryan Leaf was a bigger bust than Russell. He had a 48.4 percent completion percentage and was out of the league in 3 years. The jury is still not out on Russell, he could bounce back to be something close to mediocrity

Here's the main reason why I disagree with Russell and would still go with Ryan Leaf.

Both have played about equally horribly in my mind. However, when Russell was picked, a lot of people (myself included) thought it was a bad pick. His expectations were, in my mind, lowered a bit simply because I was expecting him to bust anyway. With Leaf, he was considered to be the next big thing. I know of some people who, at the time, thought Indy was making a mistake going with Manning over Leaf. Either way, he had a lot of hype around him and was supposed to be good, and he flopped. So, because of the higher expectations, I think it's clearly Leaf.

Blog Entries
    Nationally, for my generation (26 y/o) I'd say Ryan Leaf, but locally (I live in Chicago, and we've had MANY) I'm gonna go with Cade McNown, especially because of the desperate need we've had for a quarterback. I really think this franchise is STILL recovering from that.
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the responses! I think that Ryan Leaf is a good choice. I think that he was a guy who was young and got caught up in the league but it appears that he wasn't as bad as JaMarcus was in certain game situations. The throws, the lack of concept of breaking down the defense and such help to make JaMarcus none desirable to many teams. Time will tell of his NFL fate but today's events make it more likely for an unhappy ending.

I don't know if JaMarcus is the biggest bust of ALL time, but he is certainly close to the top of the list. I have defended him to fellow Raider fans over the past couple of years, mainly because of his talent. My thinking has been that he just needed a good mentor, and his natural ability would shine through. He has all the talent and none of the drive. I can admit when I am wrong and I was so wrong about this kid. If he has been using this codeine for awhile, and rumors flying around suggest that he has... I can only hope that he can get some rehab and start his very young life over. I wish him luck.

8. I think Ryan leaf my be the biggest bust of all time for a couple of reasons:

1. The one thing that make Leaf such a HUGE bust is the success of Peyton Manning. When those two QB's came out, there was a legitimate debate over who would have the better pro career. Now, Manning is a surefire Hall-of-Famer, and Leaf is... let's just say he fell short. JaMarcus isn't great, but neither is the other QB who was talked about in that class, brady Quinn.

2. Ryan Leaf's relationship with the media. Everyone remembers the, "JUST GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME" rant. Moments like that where leaf just had complete mental breakdowns are etched in my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMilk View Post
    Nationally, for my generation (26 y/o) I'd say Ryan Leaf, but locally (I live in Chicago, and we've had MANY) I'm gonna go with Cade McNown, especially because of the desperate need we've had for a quarterback. I really think this franchise is STILL recovering from that.
    Ahh, Cade McNown. I remember asking for his jersey for my birthday and being disappointed that I didn't get it. I feel lucky now. Though, if we're talking Bears busts, you can't forget Rashaan Salaam, or as my dad called him, "Fumble".

Blog Entries
    Good arguments! I think that Ryan Leaf is a guy who left the wrong kind of legacy and no one was like him in the league--in a bad way. Some people place Ryan as the poster child for busts because of his off-field moments. Ryan Leaf is a guy that people find hard to top but I think JaMarcus is there.